Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

I'm pretty worried about my retirement plan allocations.

I have a 403b plan with TIAA-CREF. I'm 39yo and the account only has about 38k in it right now. My total plan assets as of the quarter that just ended 10/03/08 are down 5% from the previous quarter.

Current allocations:

This quarter, real estate was up a tiny bit and money markets actually did really well. Everything else tanked. So 20% of my investments are making money and 80% are losing it right back and then some.

If this matters: I do not own a home but am planning to buy one in the spring. This will likely involve borrowing from my 403b for the down payment.

Any advice to keep me from retiring homeless and destitute will be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

80k posted:

frumpus, that doesn't add up. you say you 80% of your investments are losing money, but it shows you have 41.57% in guaranteed investments and 13.27% in money market. Seems like more than half of your investments should be stable, no?

The "guaranteed" investments lost money last quarter. v:)v

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

code:
Accounts            Quarter End Balance(06/30/2008) Current Balance( 10/03/2008 )

[b]Guaranteed             $16,295.16                      $15,449.80[/b]
   TIAA Traditional    $16,295.16 	               $15,449.80

quote:

TIAA Traditional Annuity
A guaranteed annuity backed by TIAA's claims-paying ability, TIAA Traditional (PDF) guarantees your principal and a minimum interest rate,1 plus it offers the opportunity for additional amounts in excess of the guaranteed rate.* These additional amounts, when declared by the TIAA Board of Trustees, remain in effect for the "declaration year" that begins each March 1. TIAA has credited additional amounts of interest every year since 1948.

It doesn't make sense to me either.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Ok that's part of it.

About 2 years ago I borrowed money from my plan to pay down some high interest credit card debt. Now it seems like every month when I make a payment to them on that loan, they transfer some money out of Traditional and into money market.

I have no idea why they do this and it only accounts for $440.37 of the money Tradional lost in the last quarter though so I'll give them a call and see if I can figure out what's what.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

Ok apparently it all has to do with the loans I took out previously.

All that aside, I still want to know if my allocations are ok or if I should be changing them around.