Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

80k posted:

At the end of 2007, a certain individual on this forum challenged me with a bunch of managed funds that he expected to continue to outperform its category.

This is not intended to rub anything in anyone's face. Duke is a nice guy and it was a civil challenge. But this just goes to show that it is not easy to pick winning managed funds. Only easy when looking in the rear view mirror.

You guys still on each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

moana posted:

ESB, where have you been! I was just rereading your personal finance thread in the archives to help with a new beginners thread. There were some crazy fights over passive/active investing in there.

Lurking in the shadows for quite some time.

(And I had two megathreads in there... :smugbert: )

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Well, aren't you SPECIAL :3: You and 80k are the reason I opened up a Roth and started investing for retirement, so I owe you a great deal of thanks (and also some thousands of dollars of interest when I retire).

I tell you what. Make it part of the subforum rules that 80k & I can troll anyone, anytime and I'll consider it even.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

Not fair: 80k has too kind of a heart, I don't think he could troll BFC if someone put a gun to his head. Here's my offer:

- Avatar changes for you two until I retire
- You can troll me anytime you want :wink:
- Come visit San Diego and I'll buy you drinks until you start talking about investing in gold bars

Deal.

Forewarned, I'll destroy a Hash House meal.....

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ok, so who wants to do me? Here are my retirement accounts for me and my spouse. I can't transfer between the non-Vanguard funds (wife's work), the TSP and Vanguard funds as they are in different IRA accounts. Let's say, 15 years until I need it.

Here's what I have: Sorry, I'm not good at posting tables :(

pre:
Cash:                  7%
Bonds:                 7%
Large Cap Stocks:      54%
Mid/Small Cap Stocks:  20%
International Stocks:  12%
Specifically, here are my exact percentages of each fund in my portfolio (adds up to 99.6% due to rounding)

pre:
TSP C Fund (S&P 500)    35.2%
Vanguard Health Care    23.0% (Yeah, I love this fund)
TSP L Income            5.1%
TSP S Fund              5.0%  (This is DJ Broad index of US market minus S&P 500)
VGD Strategic Equity    4.7%
Vanguard Growth Idx     4.2%
VGD FTSE All Wrld ExUS  4.2%
VGD Energy Fund         3.2%
Vanguard REIT Index     3.2%
Invesco Real Estate     0.8%
TSP I Fund              2.5%  (Morgan Stanley Capital International EAFE (Europe, Australasia, Far East) Index)
VGD Sml Cap Growth Idx  2.5%
Vanguard Mid Cap        1.5%
TSP L 2030 Fund         1.5%
VGD European Stck Index 1.2%
TSP L 2020 Fund         1.0%
Lazard Emerging Mkt     0.8%
I'm putting my contributions into the TSP L 2030, L 2020, Vanguard Mid Cap, Lazard Emerging Market and Invesco REIT at about 30/30/20/10/10% now.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

ntan1 posted:

Same advice most other people are going to give you:

1) 23% into a single fund sector is a bad idea, because it's extremely risky. It's actively managed, and funds that have done really well the last 10 years historically have a high chance of failure.

2) TSP is extremely good, but you should consolidate your investments. Either use just L, or all of F C S I at your asset allocation.

3) Why Vanguard European Stock? Why Small Cap Growth? Strategic Equity Fund?

4) REIT does make sense in a diverse portfolio, but what's up with Invesco? It has a high expense ratio.

5) For a retirement in 15 years, your current assets seem a bit unbalanced. First, you probably want more internationally as you're vested mostly in the US. Second, you probably want a bit more in bonds/cash.

There are a few things I've left out because I'm a bit :tinfoil: but these are spread between different Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, Traditional 403 and Roth 403 accounts (hence the crazy overall # of funds). I will have a Federal pension, so I can be a bit more aggressive. Also, anything not Vanguard or TSP will be rolled over to Vanguard if my spouse leaves the job.

1 - Yeah, I've been with this fund since 1995. I stopped putting money into it a while ago, but it does so well that it keeps creeping up percentage wise. I was shocked when I ran the numbers that it took up so much of my portfolio. That and almost 30% of my portfolio are sector funds. So now I'm dumping money into L funds and Midcap.

2 - Yup, agree.

3 - An attempt to increase my small cap and international. Strategic equity is my one actively managed non-sector fund. Been happy with its performance as I've been with it since inception.

4 - Will rollover to Vanguard REIT, but the expense ratio is 0.86%. Not terribly high, but unacceptable for a Boglehead.

5 - Yup, agree. Thanks.

Overall, I realize I'm scattered and should consolidate similar funds. Once everything is in Vanguard or TSP, I plan on doing that.

Ran the numbers through Vanguard's free Financial Engine service (look it up for those of you who have access). If you input non-Vanguard account logins and passwords, it will import your account balances and update them automatically. It will also give forecasts and recommendations. It will also automatically readjust your Vanguard accounts if you agree with their recommendations.

I appreciate the input. Thanks.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I meant the Invesco expense ratio.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yup.

(Just got done checking my TSP/IRA's before logging on SA tonite through Vanguard's Financial Engine.)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Catching up on the thread, so forgive me if this was already posted.

I see a lot of you are asking about the appropriate balances and funds for your retirement accounts. About once or twice a year, I use the Financial Engines link through my Vanguard account homepage to check my overall portfolio. It will even grab balances from your non-Vanguard accounts (like my Federal Govt Thrift Savings 401k). It took me about 15 minutes or so to enter in my age, retirement age, income, desired retirement income, other account info, etc. It then uses that data with a fancy quantitative (Monte Carlo) analysis to see if your portfolio matches your goals and risk tolerance.

It will even re-balance your Vanguard portfolio for you if you agree with its recommendations. For the sperg crowd, it will give you a detailed report of the exact analysis.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry, didn't realize it might only be for Voyager/Flagship clients. Another incentive to save I guess.

Edit: IIRC, you can get Voyager status with total household assets of $50k. So if you & your spouse meet that threshold together, you qualify.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 7, 2014

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

manic mike posted:

This is a list of approved vendors for her district. AXA is the company that contacted her.

403(b)

Ameriprise Financial
AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company
First Investors Corporation
Great American-Annuity Investors Life
Horace Mann Insurance Company
ING Life Insurance and Annuity Company
Lincoln National Life Insurance Company
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
PFS Investments (Primerica)
Reliastar Life Insurance Co
Security Benefit Group
VALIC

I haven't looked into them in detail, but there might be some good options available. I never knew about annuities before this. I can see why they need aggressive salespeople. They are intimidating.

I don't suppose you'd want to link to the school district's website? Most school district's HR departments will have an employee benefits book which describes in detail each vendor's 403b specifics. My wife had VALIC at one time and they had good index fund options.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

aw yiss posted:

Federal retirement stuff

Your dad should get an annual letter detailing all of his retirement and pay benefits. Mine shows exactly what my pension and TSP annuity (if taken) would be worth if I retire at various ages. There is a wealth of information about what to do with TSP money, but very, very few (1% IIRC) take the TSP annuity.

Here's a really good guide:

http://www.fleoa.org/downloads/FERSGUIDE-NONAGENTv8.pdf

There's also a huge section on retirement on OPM's website.

http://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

Con: It locks them in to certain colleges i.e. in this case, public Texas colleges. So if your nephew/niece ends up wanting to go to any other school they are poo poo out of luck for using that college fund.

IIRC, most prepaid plans allow you to go anywhere, but they end up only paying up to the maximum in state rate.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Gray Matter posted:

What's the consensus on the US Government's TSP funds? It's my understanding that they have some of the lowest expense ratios anywhere. My current retirement savings plan looks like:

1) Max Roth IRA contributions to Vanguard's targeted 2045 retirement fund
2) 8% of gross pay goes into Roth TSP in these funds:
F (Fixed Income Index) - 10%
C (Common Stock Index) - 30%
S (Small Cap Stock Index) - 20%
I (International Stock Index) - 40%

Looking for opinions on whether this is a solid allocation or if I should consider their target 2040 or 2050 retirement fund instead. I'm 32 years old, 0% effective tax rate for the past 3 years, and very risk tolerant.

As far as the TSP, either method is good. When I first started, I was mostly in TSP stock funds. Now that I'm less than 8 from being retirement eligible, I switched to a life cycle fund mix so I don't have to worry about reallocating as I get closer.

I'm at a 65/35 split on 2040/2050 as I have a higher risk tolerance. There are some sites dedicated to TSP trading too if that's your thing.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Had my first phone call with Vanguard personal advisors since I started saving 20 years ago. Received my recommendations for 90 stock/10 bond. They want me to get out of vanguard health care though. 😖. I've been in it since I started my IRA.

Great experience and worth the 0.3 they're charging me. Their recommendations account for my TSP and wife's 403b too, but they only charge on Vanguard assets.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I guess I think differently than you as a physician and landlord who could have my pants sued off me at any time. If you did something like quit your job to start a small business and borrowed money to do so you'd also be wise to preserve maximum legal protection of your retirement assets. If you have large student loans or other debts outstanding it is also very beneficial to hold assets immune to legal collection if you became unemployed or disabled.

Have you looked into liability insurance instead?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I have both professional and personal liability insurance. Costs me about $650 a year total.

One of those things we should carry that protects assets. At least the personal liability.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Ixian posted:

I don't know your situation obviously but medical malpractice, liability, and umbrella insurances costs family and other people in the field I know personally far more than $650/year.

Whether this makes 401k rollovers a factor, for the average person not in a situation where shielding assets to the maximum level possible, they should consider is an entirely different question that depends 100% on the person.

Sorry, wasn't implying that everyone's professional liability should be as inexpensive as mine and ergo everyone should do it. As a federal employee, the USG pays for half of my cost.

I was more pushing the personal liability angle to cover auto accidents and household incidents involving guests and contractors.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

$20 is cheap compared to the probably 1.5% or more expense ratios on ML funds.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

For those of you in the Federal TSP, here's a good article on the limitations of the I fund and its exposures. I'm probably going to underweight it slightly in favor of the S and C funds.

https://www.fedsmith.com/2017/07/11/changes-coming-tsp/

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Never mix money, friends or family in any combination because if you lose one leg of the stool, you'll lose all three.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

B-Mac posted:

I assume 30 years from now SS will have been wrecked to the point where I'll receive $8 a month. I'm not counting on it at all for retirement.

I told my Vanguard advisor not to consider ssa benefits in my retirement calculations for the same reason. If there are any, maybe I'll take an annual vacation to Wally World on it.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

There is also pending legislation to allow partial TSP withdrawls. Iirc, you now have to take an annuity or a lump sum.

E:. For my 90/10 stock/bond mix I went with 10/44/21/25 in F/C/S/I. I underweighted the I fund due to the previous mention of how the I overweights developed countries like Japan with no developing.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 5, 2017

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I do. TSP is about 60% of my portfolio. The rest is in Vanguard IRA in total and international stock/bond funds.

Signed up for Vanguard advisor service in June after being with them for 20+ years. The hardest thing I had to do was approve them taking me out of Vanguard Health Care. That was my first fund. Like selling your first car. 😞

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Accretionist posted:

But they're no vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

What's the most immoral way to make money for a retail investor with low-ish balances?

Vice Fund

http://www.usamutuals.com/products

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Oh, it's a complete ripoff, I agree. Not advocating it at all.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

HoboMan posted:

Hello thread, I am a formerly poor gently caress who struck it middle-class and have more money than I know what to do with.

Have you heard of Bitcoin?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Thrift savings plan question as my Google fu is weak. With the new 18.5k TSP limit, that's 712 per pay period assuming biweekly pay?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Yeah, but it gets wierd because December's 2017 last pay hits accounts in January. I don't know if that counts as the 27th PP.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Just converted my Vanguard International to Admiral shares. woop woop

Wait until you get that Voyager tag now.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Thrift savings plan question as my Google fu is weak. With the new 18.5k TSP limit, that's 712 per pay period assuming biweekly pay?

Sorry to self quote, but my agency put out today to make 712 effective on pay period 25 2017 for you Feed goons.

E: Fed goons, laugh. Congress shot down our reduced retirement proposal today.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Rex-Goliath posted:

Link? Want to be sure that they aren't completely crazy

https://federalnewsradio.com/your-money/2017/10/feds-saved-from-retirement-cuts-in-2018-budget-resolution-with-house-vote/

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Guinness posted:

Is there something you have to do to get "upgraded" to Voyager? I've been over the 50k minimum for quite a while and it didn't auto-upgrade or anything. Not that it really makes much of a difference.

You can call them. I think I did.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I'm 31 and 10% in boobs. Is that a useless amount?

Edit: I'm just gonna leave this here.

You need to diversify into some rear end REITs.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

I know I'm late with this as I'm catching up. Vanguard psa has been good for me. Im a Voyager client and they charge me a few hundred each quarter. They analyze my non vanguard funds like my tsp and wife's 403b, but only charge based on my vanguard assets.

Since it's only 0.3%, I decided it was worth it to get a holistic view of my portfolio compared to my risk and retirement goals.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

What type of reports/etc do they give you? 30bps is kind of a lot.

Quarterly they check my allocation and annually they review my status. I can check on my dashboard any time. I can also drop it if I want. Frankly I needed someone to look at everything and it was worth the cost. It hurt taking health care fund away though.

E: I just looked it up and they charged me $1k and I made 58k over the last year on their funds. Doesn't count my non vanguard gains.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 27, 2018

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

He averaged 333k assets over the period that the 1k was charged, so they started with about ~300k and ended with about ~360k (both rounded down). Roughly. This results in an approx 19% return last year, which is about what you'd expect from a balanced aggressive (10% bond) index fund portfolio last year.

I wouldn't pay for that, but if it makes the individual invester feel better, so be it. It's VASTLY cheaper than most advisers.

This. I went 23 years on my own until 1 year ago and topped 1 mil end of last year. I'm paying 1k a year to validate and monitor my portfolio along with my goals and my wife's and my pension.

I was the OP of the personal finance megathread. :dadjoke:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

It came out to 1k for about 500k in our IRAs. I just took their mix and applied it to my tsp and wife's 403b which is the other half. Again, I'm paying for validation. I can drop it at any time, but I thought it was worth it.

E: the math may be off, but my charge in the last year was 990.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Agreed. If I could push anything it would be to start asap. I got to where I am today by treating the IRA like a bill I had to pay. I still have another 15-20 years of growth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Sorry, catching up with the thread. Can someone post the discord please?