Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasen
Feb 19, 2006
Double Stuffed Unique Snowflake
I currently have a Vanguard Roth IRA, and for the past 2 years have contributed the max to the Vanguard Target Year 2045 fund. I've noticed people here suggesting other funds to invest in at Vanguard. How does one go about investing into these other funds? When I first created the IRA account, I could select different funds and I chose the Target Year one, is it too late to add in, say, the VTWSX one, in addition to the Target Year one, or is that a different type of investment account?

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasen
Feb 19, 2006
Double Stuffed Unique Snowflake

80k posted:

They are all just different mutual funds. You can exchange out of your Target fund and into any other mutual fund (that you meet the minimums for), all within your IRA. You are free to do this at any time, though some funds will charge a fee if you haven't held your shares long enough (say 2 months or 1 year or something). The Target funds do not charge such a fee, IIRC.

If you are splitting up into different funds, why keep the Target fund at all? You could, for instance, exchange into the world index fund and a bond fund and have a very diverse portfolio. Or (if your balance is enough for 3 funds), you could buy a domestic fund, an international fund, and a bond fund. The more you split up, the more control you have over your allocation, but you also need more money in order to meet minimums.

Ah, thanks, I think I get it. There would be no point in a Target fund and different funds because the Target fund is a mixture already.
For someone who's clueless about bonds/funds/etc. is it better to just leave it in the Target fund or is it better to separate it into different funds?
Also, I can take out the principle I invested into a Roth IRA, correct? If the value of the Target fund is currently less than what I invested, does that mean I can just take the whole amount out? Do I lose out on the rest of my money? I don't plan to do this, I was just curious on how that worked.

Thanks again!