Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

zaurg posted:

You're saying the end doesn't justify the means, but at the time in 2009 your analysis felt like it was the correct move to make right

fart simpson posted:

you could have done a lot worse than just holding sso since 2009. for example, you could have held spy

No doubt, it was the correct call to make. My logic was that we were going to have a sharp recovery, so why not double that up, which worked. However, it was mismatched with what I should have been doing from a risk management / tolerance / financial planning aspect. That’s all I’m saying. Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

If I buy i bonds at the current rate, does that rate only apply for this period and adjusts for the next 6 month period, or the whole 30 years for that tranche of i bonds?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

fourwood posted:

Technically there is an underlying fixed rate that is good for the life of the bond, but it is currently 0%. So the adjustable part is all that matters right now, and yeah, that will change 6 months after you buy it and every 6 months after that.

Got it, makes sense. So there's risk that after a few cycles the adjustable drops considerably (theoretically floor is zero) and pays out nothing. But can get out if held for 12 months so not a big deal.

Maybe I'll do it after all.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i should mention that it's great you're thinking about and actively working towards investment goals. all plans are imperfect at some level, and not investing at all means severely limiting your long term potential wealth

i think you'd benefit from looking at your goals and determining how much risk you need to take on to achieve them vs. how much risk you feel comfortable with. the optimal portfolio you can't execute on will always lose out to the sub-optimal portfolio you can consistently buy and hold

also leperflesh makes a good point about the size of the emergency fund. unless you have a very robust safety net you feel comfortable falling back on. i will say that as a government employee you can probably afford to be slightly more towards the 3 months side if you feel confident that you'll never feel like jumping ship

Also worth mentioning on the back of these good vibes is that the decisions that you've already made are not expensive to unmake if needed. Kudos for you for getting out there and dabbling with all of this. Collect more information (all the above is gold) and adjust.

Additionally, it will feel like an ENORMOUS task to get 6 months of an emergency fund together, but once it's there, it's there and can be parked somewhere earning interest (I love Fidelity's money market at like 4-5%). Then you can check off that from your financial to-do list and move to the next order of priority. This momentum forward will increase as you work toward it until you look backward and see what a strong financial foundation you've laid for yourself and how much more peace you have in regards to money.

Get at it!!!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

jokes posted:

I just signed up for it without issue and I use Schwab otherwise. I did have to sign up for a new account but that’s nbd.

e:

Nevermind I don't think I'll be getting the money -- dang!

I just set up custodial accounts for my kids two days ago, need to see if they qualify.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Is it possible to rollover a traditional Ira into a solo 401k? I have both at Schwab and would love to get my traditional Ira's flattened for future back doors.

I presume I also need to get my wife's traditional taken care of too. She has a 403b with Vanguard. Any idea if those generally can accept a traditional Ira rollover?

Thanks!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

jfff posted:

I can't get a straight answer from my local Schwab branch or find a definitive answer online. Can I fund a Schwab Solo 401k by dropping off a check and paperwork at my local branch? How do you fund your Solo 401k at Schwab?

My spouse had a 403b and we successfully rolled it into a traditional IRA at Schwab. Had to jump through a lot of hoops with the 403b custodian though.

There's a form that you fill out that specifies the Employee v Employer contributions. I fill that out and drop it in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Did I read that chart correctly and that you can establish a solo 401k, even if you have zero business income, solely to roll in any traditional IRAs into for avoiding prorata rule?

I have one with Schwab (and haven't received a good answer on whether I can do that rollover yet, they've been dodgy) for my actual business but have a traditional for my wife that I've been procrastinating on a solution for her. Primarily since I have 3 teen kids with woefully underfunded college accounts so don't really have excess investment into backdoor roth, yet... but intellectually I'd like to know if that's an option for her traditional.