Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Simkin posted:

The last bike that's (for the moment) cluttering up making my driveway the mecca of awesome:

It's a 1985 Honda VF500F - the babyceptor :blush: I conned one friend into picking it up as a project for me, fixed the gimpy petcock, and am now selling it on to another friend, where it will serve as his first bike. It's ridiculously over-complicated, with fun things like fuel pumps, pneumatic suspension, hydraulic clutch, anti-dive front suspension, and so on. However, it does look pretty cool, and only the 500 has the sweet whale tail rear end - the 700/750 just has the usual 80s design of a squared off rear tail section.

These bikes are so awesome and if they weren't ridiculously over-complicated I would have kept mine.

:smith:

I've been without a bike for too long, but after I move my next bike will be one of those DRZ-400SM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

I'll be picking this up on Wednesday or Thursday :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Buhbuhj posted:

Not enough green in here.

No problem.

Bike #1: '01 EX500.

Bike #2: '03 Z1000

Bike #3: '97 ZX6R Trackbike

:) :)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I have three bikes right now, with one actually "for real" running, one sorta running, and the third in the process of being fixed.

2006 Triumph Bonnevile T100. A lot of mods, used for commuting and touring. It has about 22,000 miles on it and runs very nicely. It's due for valve adjustment soon, which will be an annoying pain because of my dual petcock tank.

1973 BMW R60/5. It's an LWB (long wheel-base) "toaster" (mirror-like tank panels) model. This guy is getting a full tear down. It runs, but has not been maintained well. I think it has about 64,000 miles. I'm hoping to turn it into a café racer.

1968 Honda CL350 Scrambler with about 8,900 original miles. All original. It needs a bit more work before it gets running, and is currently sitting in Wisconsin. It is meant to be my "Wisconsin bike" on the rare occasions that I visit my parents. Current needs: new tires, rust-proofing the battery tray, new battery, new clutch and throttle cables, UNI foam filters installed, and a bunch of carb bits (diaphragms, floats, and gaskets). There's also something totally dead about the electric starter, but the kick start appears to be in good order.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Dual-sport goodness:

I know there's little love for Harleys here, but I'm not a RUB, the pipes aren't particularly loud, and I drive the poor bastard so hard I sheared the tranny mainshaft in half, so the haters can go gently caress themselves.

Saved up for it for three years and bought it new in '91.

My son in my old Eighties leather jacket a couple years ago.

orinth
Apr 15, 2003

NFC WEST IS THE BEST
Here is my bike. It's a 2004 Honda CBR 600rr. I got it pretty cheap since it had a salvaged title and it was my first bike :P

here are some pics at the track. I haven't been out in over a year, but hopefully will do a few trackdays later this summer.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

JnnyThndrs posted:

I drive the poor bastard so hard I sheared the tranny mainshaft in half, so the haters can go gently caress themselves.

Harleys don't have to be driven hard to break. :downsrim:

No hate here though. Nice ride especially since you've had it for so many years.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
My 1988 Yamaha FZR1000.

Me looking quite gay in Fieldsheer '70s/'80s one-piece race leathers, given to me by the previous owner.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How I normally roll:

My bike when I have to carry a lot of stuff:

2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD. Nothing special, but it's mine. :unsmith:

prolifik
Apr 27, 2004
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Christoff posted:

It's a Riaju if anyone was wondering.
No, it's not. It's a Rieju. Specifically a RS2, I seem to recall you saying it's a 150cc. The company website only lists 125cc and 50cc models. Here's the company website. http://www.rieju.es/en/interface.html

VTNewb, edit your post to say what the bikes are. :-) I'm not sure everyone can identify trials bikes off their cuff, and KTM models still are a mystery to some.

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

My 2006 Yamaha YZF600R. I'm up to about $5k in vandalism to it, hooray college towns. It was originally Yamaha Team Blue (The tank still is, as it took no damage at any point) but after the LAST time it got pushed over and had about $3k in damage done to it (They tore up the whole right side) I just said screw it, picked up a quart of black paint and some clear coat, sanded the gouges in it flat, Bondo'd the cracks in the fairings, and painted it, with enough left to touch up the eventual "next time".

I need to buy a house with a garage ASAP.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My street bike, a 2001 Buell Blast (yes, that's a dirt road it's on)

I'm hoping to get something bigger soon, but the fact that I was beating a ZX12 Ninja through corners still makes me happy.

Then my 1984 KDX200, which I have yet to get a good wheelie picture of:

And my 1974 Harley SX175, which I don't ride very often anymore:

Screw it, here's my (and my dad's) garage with the rest of our bikes:

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

My R6, last year just as it turned 30k..

XL250R, currently in many peices waiting to get rebuilt

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

RacerHD12 posted:

Holy poo poo. Harley davidson flat tracker? That thing looks pimp!

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
ex-Vroom

Vroooooom

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Lots of old bieks in this thread, I'm really surpized. I really only have pictures of my main mode of transportation, my 2007 Gixxahh 750. She has many, many uses to her, almost like a Transformer.

Mode 1, Street Duty:

Mode 2, Touring Duty:

Note the pig rally patch, and the GSXR stickers still on.

Mode 3, Track Weapon:

^^ Waving to the camera man :)

And my absolute favorite pic of my bike:

Not pictured is my 2006 DRZ-400SM.

Too many goodies to list on the GSXR, but a compact list:
* Full Akrapovic Ti Race Exhaust
* Gilles Tooling Rearsets
* Complete suspension rebuild/resprung/re-shimmed/etc for my weight/riding style

Oh, it also is just about to roll over 15,000mi. I'm on a month long trip in TN right by Deals Gap visiting my folks, and I'm really hoping to hit 20,000 by the time I'm back in FL. Yes, I rode up to TN in one shot. :D

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
poo poo Rev.Eagle so that's where you've been. Didn't know you hadn't returned to FL yet!

My first any only bike, as well as my only transportation. I'm pretty fed up with it lately, but I have to put up with his poo poo for a little while longer (I'm buying a car THEN I'll upgrade). 2001 Ninja 500R, 32K miles on the odo, pretty bulletproof, but I want more of a touring sport tourer like that hot little F800ST. Also something that's not loving purple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

pictures

Jesus is that ever so sexy. I know some people that hate flashy paint jobs but that has to be the most sex on wheels I've ever seen. Not to mention 750 ccs? Right in between fast and insane. I love it. Was 07 when they started that exact body style? I know they all look relatively the same. How would it be as a dd and how is the comfort?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Here's my only bike at the moment.
1973 CB350F. Bought this January for $260. I think from the shape of it that it was beat to hell for around 10 years, parked in a garage for 25 then sold to me to put back to right. A bunch of money, time and elbow grease later and it looks like this.

I lucked out and bought a near mint parts bike that had suffered a carb fire for another $250. Basically after I cleaned and put everything back together the best I could with the old parts, I buy this new bike that has near perfect chrome, paint, engine, gauges, the works. Everything came back off and the new stuff went on after a thorough cleaning and polishing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
My old bike. 1978 XL250s I still ride it but only in the winter.

The newest bike in my family's stable. 1983 CM250.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

RacerHD12 posted:

Can you post some more pics of the tracker on the lift?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Skipping over the boring bikes I've owned...

ZX-6E: Rode it for almost 50k, 2 engines, 2 accidents (one highside and one lowside), took it to the track, beat the poo poo out of it, parted it out. My 2nd bike.

Bone stock with gutted exhausts.
From my first track day...right before the explosion of engine one. :3:

02 SV650, bought with 135,000 miles on it, toasted the transmission at 140,000 miles. Parted it because I had no money for a new engine :( Mods were: GSX-R fairings, ZX6R front end, Ohlins shock, Yoshimura RS3 full system.

CBR 929...bought at 35k, sold at 49.8k. Who would buy a sportbike with 50,000 miles on it? It had never been down, and I'm pretty sure it's now a wreck :(

Wave rotors, crg levers, PC3, 2 brothers slip on, revalved and resprung. Went to the track on it once, and it showed me how hard it is to ride a literbike fast.

Current bikes in the garage are...

1975 Honda CB200.

In dire need of a restoration, hopefully we'll get to it this winter. Mods are: Blown suspension, mismatched tires, and pipes off of some random bike. It's a loaner that gets passed around my group of friends when someone wants to learn how to ride. Possibly the most forgiving bike ever, and I take it to work when i feel like talking bikes with every random stranger on the street. Puts a smile on people's faces like no other.

1998 Triumph Daytona T595...for sale (3300$).

Converted to a speed triple, High mount exhaust, heated grips, corbin, pro taper bars. I've had it for almost 10k now...awesome bike, but no place for it in my garage anymore. Amazing city bike, but not so great for distance. Pretty badass in the twisties if you like riding old school style up on top of the bike.

00 SV650, track bike. Penske back shock, GSX-R750 front end with brembo MC and calipers/yoyodyne relocator plates, Ohlins steering damper, CFM rearsets + rearset riser plates, M4 exhaust, Vapor gauges and lap timer.

Eventually it'll get the cam mod, flatslides, and be a dedicated racebike...needs a lower and when I finish the NRS I'll get my number plates sorted.

Absolutely my favorite picture of the SV at Thunderhill:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
My first bike, a 1989 Yamaha Radian 600:

45 HP new, a whole lot less when it aged. I put 10 or 15 thousand miles on it, loved the sound, hated the 130 miles until you walk fuel tank.

(Basket case '89 Katana 600 will not be mentioned :( )

My current bike, an '04 Honda 599 (called the Hornet everywhere but North America):

I bought it with 391 miles on it. It's my touring mule and TWISEEZE ATTAKER with 21,000 miles nowadays.

Pikes motherfuckin' Peak:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

JnnyThndrs posted:

Dual-sport goodness:

I know there's little love for Harleys here, but I'm not a RUB, the pipes aren't particularly loud, and I drive the poor bastard so hard I sheared the tranny mainshaft in half, so the haters can go gently caress themselves.

Saved up for it for three years and bought it new in '91.

My son in my old Eighties leather jacket a couple years ago.

A Daytona. Awesome. My dad bought one new as well. Just a gorgeous bike. It was gonna be mine too until he sold it to some douchelog collector that didn't even know how to ride! :argh: I didn't talk to my dad for about a day and a half.

Fake edit: I'm one of the few people here that likes Harleys.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
My '04 Triumph Daytona 955. I bought it from a friend who replaced it with a Daytona 675. She loves to spin, and hates slogging through town, because the fuel injection sucks. I do love the sound she makes, though. Triples are the best things ever.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Here's my 1996 Honda XR400. I love this thing, more power than I'll ever need and it's great on trails. It's my third bike after an '82 XR80 and '02 XR200. My dad gave it to me after he started having back problems which made it too painful to ride. I haven't gone riding in months, I need to get RacerHD12 to take a day off work and go.

I plan on buying something for the street next year.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Girlfriend bought a Honda Elite for tooling around our college town on. I rode it and fell in love with two wheels causing me to buy my first bike. Later I replaced the engine in it after getting a parts scooter for $150. She sold it about a month ago. :(

First bike, 2001 Suzuki GS500. Put 20k and one accident on it. Sold it to a friend of mine whos now learning to ride with it. Graduated college and got a job that pays me too much so I bought:

2007 CBR600RR. Since that picture I've put frame sliders and 5k miles on it. Girlfriend bought me an exhaust for it for our anniversary which has been sitting in the closet for the last two weeks because I'm lazy. I don't ride it nearly as much as I'd like.

Carbonate
Aug 3, 2005
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
This is my new toy. I posted in the MMM about going to look at it, and after looking at it for a bit, jumped on it. It's got 7766 on the Odometer, everything is shiny and new. It's been sitting for a year with the gas drained out of it because a float was stuck, so I may be requesting some assistance from you carb wizards out there shortly. I have to wait till the end of the week to pick it up, though. I have to go out of town. Man it's gonna be one hell of a long week :(

Not my picture, ps.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

bung posted:

Can you post some more pics of the tracker on the lift?

Gladly. It's technically a Rotax 600 (and my dad's). However, Harley used them in place of their XR750s for short track races, so he was able to obtain the factory race team decals.

And some action shots:

And from a half mile race:

Unfortunately, most of the tracks near me (within 2.5 hours) have closed, so it hasn't been ridden since March or so.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
1966 Yamaha YDS3. Its a 250cc two stroke and I just finished bringing it back to life after 24 years parked in a garage. Its a blast to drive and the plumes of smoke keep away tailgaters.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Bugdrvr posted:

8ender posted:

:drat:

Those are some nice old bikes. How difficult were the restorations? Any before/after pics?

EDIT: Missed the OPs suggestion for previous bikes as well. Here they are:

My first SWEET RIDE, a 2001 Vespa ET4. I actually loved it, but I needed something for highway travel so I sold it to buy a...

1999 Ducati Monster 750. That was also a very fun bike. Perhaps a touch too powerful for a first bike, but I came out okay. Unfortunately, I was way too big for it (6'2"), so I bought my Bonnie.

I only had this bike for a few months: a 1973 Honda CB350K Frankenbike. Base bike is a '73 CB350, but it has a '72 CB350 tank and side panels and a rebuilt '71 CL350 engine. It worked pretty well, a few carb problems aside. I did a small bit of work on it and sold it to my ex-, who is loving it.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2008

Tachonium
Sep 9, 2000

The New Steel.
1983 Suzuki GS650L

This has been a fantastic first bike for my 6'6" 260 lbs frame. Its not crazy powerful, but has more than enough pep to ride comfortably on the freeway. The last owner took pretty good care of her, but there has been just a slight amount of mechanical work to be done. Enough to get me feeling good about the nuances of working on bikes as opposed to cars.

Just need to finish some cosmetic issues, (the seat) but I still take her to work every day.

Tachonium fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 7, 2008

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

rope kid posted:

Those are some nice old bikes. How difficult were the restorations? Any before/after pics?

I have some before pics around somewhere I'll have to dig up. Picture the bike with rust drat near everywhere, flat tires, an ugly sissy bar and 25 years worth of dust and dirt.

Putting it back together wasn't all that hard, just super time intensive. All of the painted parts are original (from the parts bike) so there was no need for that at least.
I don't even want to think of how many hours of cleaning and polishing went into it, but I would put it over 100 hours easily. Money wise, maybe $1000 or a bit more all together.

detoxx
Dec 10, 2007
I expected to see a few more Harley's. Nice bikes all around though.

I had an '04 Harley Fatboy until my son was born in 06. I panicked and sold it. I need to get another one I guess. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

rope kid posted:

Thread detailing my adventures here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2839024

Wasn't too bad. Took me around 3 months of on and off work. I was blessed with a bike that had decent paint and only a little rust and pitting. The pistons and rings were also solid and the shifter and clutch worked as well. The most time consuming work involved finding information and parts, cleaning everything including the gas tank, restoring the seat, and screwing with the carbs, seals and points.

Edit: The worst part is waiting for parts to come in. I'm a pretty focused guy when I work on a project and I like to get one thing done before starting on another. This is almost impossible when you're waiting for parts. I ended up having to immediately start working on something else on the bike when I got stuck needing a part.

8ender fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 7, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

detoxx posted:

I expected to see a few more Harley's. Nice bikes all around though.

I had an '04 Harley Fatboy until my son was born in 06. I panicked and sold it. I need to get another one I guess. :)

I love riding my friend's harley, but they're just too god drat expensive for what they are.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Tachonium posted:

1983 Suzuki GS650L

This has been a fantastic first bike. Its not crazy powerful, but has enough pep to ride comfortably on the freeway.

Other than it being almost 500lbs ;-) it's got a little more horsepower than I'd consider noob safe. (that is, 77) On the same lines, I have a GS650 cylinder, head, and carbs on my 1980 GS550. I'll get pictures of my stable, posted tonight, I promise.

And, you should visit https://www.thegsresources.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Wow, two blue and orange 250s in the thread so far. I put bought one new and put almost 10k miles on it. I miss it now, and regret selling it. :(

2002 GSXR 1000

Bought from a former classmate / co-worker who let his cousin beat the poo poo out of it. Came with a Barnett clutch and D&D exhaust can with no baffles. The engine was bored from 988cc stock to 1020cc from what I can tell.

I've since put a Yoshi RS-3 can on, Power Commander III, went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket, and just got new gloss black plastics for it today.

This thing is too god drat fast for anyone to ride. I will die upon it. But I'll have a big smile on my face when I do.