Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My First bike - 1980 Yamaha XS400. Now in the hands of my cousin who needed a bike badly.

My Second bike which I rode the lion's share of last year. 1982 GL500i Silverwing. While I loved the bike, I sold it because I moved up to the next one.

Current bike: The beast. 1999 1500CF Valkyrie. Was dropped and sold in an insurance auction. I bought her and saved her from being chopped up for parts. Replaced the whole front faring and had the bag repainted.

Two cool d00ds (me and my dad)

My girlfriend likes the bike too!

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, everyone has freaking awesome bikes! My 2006 BMW F650 (sorry, crappy cell phone pic):

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!
Ninja 650R - bought at the end of last season, didnt ride much but have put 2,000 miles on so far this season!

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

My First bike - 1980 Yamaha XS400. Now in the hands of my cousin who needed a bike badly.

Hey, i have one of those too!

Built from scratch, xs400 mill, jockey shift, foot clutch, should be a blast when its done.

ZX-12r and XS400

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Doctor Zero posted:

My Second bike which I rode the lion's share of last year. 1982 GL500i Silverwing. While I loved the bike, I sold it because I moved up to the next one.

You know, I think those are pretty much the definition of a perfect all-around utility bike for the city. I rode one for about 5 years when I lived in Vancouver and almost never used my car. I could stuff those bags completely full of groceries in one trip that would last me for over a month.

Only drawbacks would be a little heavy and underpowered, but it was never marketed to be exciting.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

spacepirate posted:

Ninja 650R - bought at the end of last season, didnt ride much but have put 2,000 miles on so far this season!

Is this the official bike of AI now? I had no idea those were so popular.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

What does everyone think of the Ninja 650s? I love the look of them (the old ones with the red parts even more than the new), but I've never taken one for a ride. It seems to be the almost perfect bike from what I've read. Quick, narrow, handles well, very practical etc.

I'm going to be I moving to SoCal this fall and will be looking for a new bike. The 650 is just about tops on my list. That is if I don't give in to my impractical lust for the new 600RR.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

1984 xs400

And a "ken and barbie" KLR similar to this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

blindjoe posted:

1984 xs400

I weep for you. Yamaha designed the fuse boxes to break apart. And the timing chain guide rails break off and seize the motor. And the spine frames are frighteningly top heavy for such a small bike.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 8, 2008

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

My cruiser:

2007 Victory Vegas 8-ball

My touring bike:

2007 Honda Goldwing

I've been through tons of dirt bikes but due to a bad back now, I'm sticking to the street. The Goldwing is the best bike I've ever ridden on the street. It handles like a much smaller/ligher bike.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Bugdrvr posted:

What does everyone think of the Ninja 650s? I love the look of them (the old ones with the red parts even more than the new), but I've never taken one for a ride. It seems to be the almost perfect bike from what I've read. Quick, narrow, handles well, very practical etc.

I'm going to be I moving to SoCal this fall and will be looking for a new bike. The 650 is just about tops on my list. That is if I don't give in to my impractical lust for the new 600RR.

I <3 mine alot, it does everything except hit 17,000 RPM's

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Bugdrvr posted:

What does everyone think of the Ninja 650s?

It's a pretty awesome commuter bike and is perfectly able to go around some twisties. It works well as a sport-tourer too but if you are going to be sitting on it for a long time I would recommend a more comfortable seat.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
2008 Kawasaki Versys, my favorite bike so far:

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
This'll be fun... click for bigger

First bike - 2000 ZR-7

Rode it for a year and then graduated to this:
2003 R1150R

Logged 30,000 miles in two years... I still miss it.

After dragging the Beemer's cylinder head at the track, I decided to get a dedicated track tool:
2002 CBR600F4i

Still have it and love it.

Had this while I lived in England for a bit:
2004 Z750

After coming back to the states, got a good deal on this:
2003 SV1000S

Decided I needed to do some dirt riding, so I sold the SV and got this:
1996 DR350

Decided I needed more powah(!), so I got this:
2000 XR650R

Needed a dedicated street bike, so I got this
2003 Z1000

Didn't like the way it looked, so I turned it into this:

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.

predictive posted:

drat they're gorgeous bikes. It would have been a serious consideration if it weren't illegal under the learner laws here as it's above the 150kw/tonne limit by a fairly long margin!

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

Bugdrvr posted:

Mine has been great and utterly problem free. I get a lot of "douche bag crotch rocket" hate but whatevs. I use mine as more of a sport tourer and bought bags for it. My riding is like 70-80% expressway. With the Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen its extremely comfortable. I havent ridden many other bikes, but this one rocks.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

predictive posted:

I have been seriously considering a Versys as my second motorcycle and I have a few questions.

How is the MPG?
How is riding two-up? Can the passenger get their hands on the tank?
How many other bikes have you owned, and compared to those how does it handle?
How does it handle in the rain?
How are the handlebars? I rode a 650r that has similar bars and they were angled very ackwardly.

I rode a 650r last year and liked how smooth the engine was but I dislike the looks of the 650r, this bike is totally my style though. The price is right as well. Very nice bike :)

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 9, 2008

spacepirate
Feb 7, 2005
Yarr mateys!

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I have been seriously considering a Versys as my second motorcycle and I have a few questions.

How is the MPG?
How is riding two-up? Can the passenger get their hands on the tank?
How does it handle in the rain?
How are the handlebars? I rode a 650r that has similar bars and they were angled very ackwardly.

I rode a 650r last year and liked how smooth the engine was but I dislike the looks of the 650r, this bike is totally my style though. The price is right as well. Very nice bike :)

As a 650R owner I can sort of answer the MPG question, I usually get around 55-60. The lowest I have gotten is the 40's flogging it and once I got like 70 cruising the expressway at 55mph. Usually a tank of gas goes about 180 miles.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

2001 Ninja 500 that's getting put up on Craigslist soon, nice fun bike, but it's kind of redundant with the ZX-6 in the garage.

Said 02 ZX-6r, just put on Helibars and does that ever make a difference, next it's getting the seat redone so it doesn't keep trying to slide me forward and some bags. By then it should be a great SPORT-touring bike.

Oh my! Look what followed me home last night...

:haw:
08 KLR650 with 850 miles on it.
The PO put on the taller windshield with lettering, the Kawi accessory "gel" seat that lowered it about 1" and a Jardine race muffler and is it ever LOUD, open pipe Harley loud, I think I'm going to get the insert to mute it a bit.
I'd also like to do this to it, I don't think it'd look too bad and would be pretty darn functional without breaking the bank.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Geez, if the Ninja 650 is the official AI bike, the KLR can't be too far behind. Maybe I'm biased though :D

How does the KLR compare to the Ninja 500? When I was starting out I always figured I'd end up on one of those little guys for my first or second bike.

Dean!
Jan 31, 2005

Phy posted:

Geez, if the Ninja 650 is the official AI bike, the KLR can't be too far behind. Maybe I'm biased though :D

650Rs are the best commuter bike ever. Comfortable seating position, and the seat is low enough that you can straddle the bike and back up with ease.

'07 650r

'05 KLR

Previous Bikes:

Ninja 250

ZZR 600

SV-650

Dean! fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 9, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is that a Helimot suit? Bay area rider?

happyscrappyheropup
Oct 13, 2005

mark it zero

warwick5s posted:

These bikes are so awesome and if they weren't ridiculously over-complicated I would have kept mine.

I owned a 1984 VF1000F. Big, heavy thing, but I still really enjoyed it. Pretty fast back in the day, too.

My current ride is a 2002 Hayabusa I bought in Feb. 02. Some minor bolt on mods for looks and performance. Best 1.61 short slammed @ stock length on BT010 w/stock clutch. 6.2@116.9 1/8 with my big rear end on it. 9.7@146 1/4 (different passes) :)

Dean!
Jan 31, 2005

Z3n posted:

Is that a Helimot suit? Bay area rider?

Ya, I was wearing a Helimot rental on the 250. I have my own Bates suit now. If I could afford it I would get a Helimot suit though. I'm in north west Arkansas.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
My first and only bike so far. A 2000 CBR600 that I've put on close to 15,000 miles. Trying to sell it right now to purchase a newer 600rr/zx6r/r6

Click here for bigger

And stereotype Gap picture. Pre 1pc suit

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

happyscrappyheropup posted:

:)

Oh my god. I've always wanted to step up to a Hayabusa but seeing pictures of yours only makes it that much worse. Someday....

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
1992 Yamaha xj600 - My daily driver. Most bulletproof and reliable bike I've ever owned.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

1982 Yahama sr250 - My girls bike. Fun little guy but springs leaks like nobodys business.

Click here for the full 550x379 image.

1982 Honda V45 magna (vf750?) - Just inherited this a couple days ago from my dad when he upgraded to a vtx1800. He's had it since new. It's the first street bike I learned to ride.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Definitely needs some shorter bars.

Other honorable mention is a 96 katana 600, but it mainly just stays broken.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I expected way more SV650s. Do they have a thread of their own?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

I expected way more SV650s. Do they have a thread of their own?

Nah, we're like the RADL...vocal minority.

And in fairness, there are like, 8 sv's represented here...and a few former owners.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Oh I love her so!

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

How is the MPG? I get about 42mpg around the city, mostly because I like to lift the front wheel a bit at stoplights and hooligan around. I get about 50mpg on long highway trips.

How is riding two-up? The passenger sits very high, so there's more for them to see, but it can feel a bit more precarious than other bikes.

Can the passenger get their hands on the tank? Generally no, it's a long reach from the pillion seat.

I've owned a Honda Shadow 500, a Honda Magna 750, a Ninja 250, a CBR600F4i, and the Versys. I've borrowed and ridden plenty of other bikes in lots of styles. I think the Versys' combination of short rake and high leverage from the wide bars make handling amazingly good. I've noticed that when I first get on a sportbike now it feels like the tires are flat because the Versys turns so much more easily.

How does it handle in the rain? I think it's fine in weather; I've ridden through plenty of weather, including a hailstorm, and while the large profile makes you more of a sail it never felt squirrelly. Since you sit so upright there's less protection than other bikes, but that only matters to me for extreme conditions like hailstorms, where the precipitation is actually painful.

How are the handlebars? I rode a 650r that has similar bars and they were angled very ackwardly. I've loaned the bike to three people and the bars seem to be a love/hate thing. I really dig them because the leverage makes turning so easy I just thing about cornering and around it goes. Some people don't like that they are so high, and there's only 1/2" or so of rotation adjustment with the stock bars before they contact the tank.

I ride full-time and I had to pick one good bike to do everything, and I'm glad I picked the Versys.

aperfectphire
Feb 18, 2007

Ask and ye shall receive, sucka.
Here is my '05 V Star 650, not the best bike out there but she is my summer love...
Click here for the full 1876x1404 image.

And if you want to see her burnout a little: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn8E_kxMMtk and yes I did use water to help it break traction but the tire was pretty new and that driveway is really rough and hard to break traction on.

aperfectphire fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 10, 2008

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Bugdrvr posted:

I really like mine, but after I got my F4i I just don't touch it anymore. I'm kinda of a speed freak and the 4 cylinder 600 is just too much fun for me to go back to riding the 650.

Plus I hate the high bars now that I'm used to the F4i's riding position.

However, oddly enough, I thought the 650 was more fun on the racetrack as it was so much more flickable and the torque made it really easy to power out of corners without a lot of shifting.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

predictive posted:

:words: Versys :words:

If you don't stop talking about the Versys, I'm going to take the $6k out of my savings account and walk into the Kawasaki dealer right now. I'm warning you!

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I forgot to include my previous bike in my previous post. My last bike was a 2002 Speed Triple and I loving loved it. But, I needed something that would be more comfortable for longer, multi state trips.

Current is a 2006 Sprint ST

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
Trusty old EX250:

My R6 on the day I bought it:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

predictive posted:

:words:

Seconding the sentiment of "goddamnit I need to buy this bike as soon as I get rid of some toys." I was already sold on looks alone, now I just need to con someone into letting me take it for a test drive - maybe I can bribe/threaten/coerce a local dealer.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

My '07 Ninja 500R (Which is for sale, if anybody in South Florida is interested)

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Another SV haver here.

2006 SV650. My first bike, bought it bone stock in January of this year after pulling 75 hour work weeks for 8 months so I could afford to buy it outright. And honestly, I couldn't be more satisfied.

So far I've got 5500 miles under my belt witch includes rides on The Dragon (including one at night!!), Hellbender, Cherahola Skyway, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've ridden in MD, VA, NC, TN and GA. Not to shabby for my first season, and it's not even close to being over.

Mods: ZX-10 rear shock, Sonic Springs, Seargent Seat, tank bra, fender eliminator, turn signals all around, Viper Stubby slip on, and Napolean bar end mirrors. Soon it's going to get some Suburban Mechanics type 2 bars, a belly pan, rear cowl, hugger and a paint job. Probably black with a blue stripe.

Currently I'm thinking about trying to do a trackday or class of some kind so I can work on my form and hopefully get a little better.

Top of The Dragon.

Pack mule.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Bird-o-matic posted:

My R6 on the day I bought it:

Yeah...that's an awesome, awesome scheme.