Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jay_Zombie posted:

Pack mule.

What set of bags is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Bird-o-matic posted:

My R6 on the day I bought it:

That looks badass

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I posted a thread about my bike a day before you made this thread, ah well.

It's a 1979 Honda CB650 I bought off some divorced woman in Detroit for $250. I love how it looks. It's in great shape too (except for where a goddamn mouse in my Dad's garage gnawed on my gas cap... what the hell)

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Hamelin posted:

(except for where a goddamn mouse in my Dad's garage gnawed on my gas cap... what the hell)

A mouse tried to eat your gas cap? That is a "what the hell!" if I ever heard one.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

redscare posted:

That looks badass

ail posted:

Yeah...that's an awesome, awesome scheme.

Got to agree here. That's one tidy bike.

tokin
Jul 8, 2005

Keeping it gangster for reals
This is fun.

First bike sold it, ninja 650r nay

07 gsxr 15,000 miles yay

02 sv650 gay

Actually racing

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

tokin posted:

02 sv650 gay

That really rules

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I started on a messed up 2000 EX250 trying to teach myself how to ride a motorcycle by myself with no training whatsoever in the middle of LA. Surprisingly never crashed it in the year I owned it. I also had no trouble at all on the freeway with it the entire time I was in LA so anyone who thinks they don't have enough power for any highway has no business being on a bike in the first place.

Impulse bought a 2006 R6s after that and it remains to be the best impulse purchase I've ever made that I SHOULD regret seeing as how much debt it put on me. This one I have crashed because I'm an idiot who thought he could keep up and couldn't D=

And this is the poo poo I had to deal with in college because all of my roommates were pussy faggots who wanted scooters instead of motorcycles so I had to ride alone until I met some grizzled dudes from work to ride with.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

dokuja posted:

My first bike:

2007 Ninja 250. I've put almost 10k on it and still love it. Unfortunately, I crashed it a few months ago, but it's running again sans fairing and will be ready for my first track day on the 19th.

I also have a 2007 Ninja 250. I got it about a month ago, I think, with only 1800 miles, now up to 3000ish.

My first track day at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway last weekend. Went with a lot of San Diego Hypercycles/Buymoto people.

The centerstand was dragging on left turns when I pushed it. The peg feelers got ground down a bit, too. Still no knee-dragging, either =[

Oh god how did I get here I am not good with tracks

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

French Canadian posted:

The centerstand was dragging on left turns when I pushed it. The peg feelers got ground down a bit, too. Still no knee-dragging, either =[

It looks like you're still trying to keep yourself centered on the bike too much. It does look like you have your lower half off the bike - that's good - but you also need to be looking past where your wing mirror would be. Also, if all else fails, just go faster - I found that the reason I was having such trouble touching down my knee pucks was that I was going too slow to warrant being that far off the bike.

Hey, where the hell is Sigtrap's biek? :colbert: Didn't he say he was getting into motorcycles?

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
my first bike, an '03 yzf600r :)

I love it!

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
double trouble

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

economic haircut posted:

Hey, i have one of those too!

Built from scratch, xs400 mill, jockey shift, foot clutch, should be a blast when its done.

ZX-12r and XS400

Can I get more pics of the xs400? My dad has a 1980 Yamaha xs850 and I want to see how his bike and your bike differ.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Simkin posted:

It looks like you're still trying to keep yourself centered on the bike too much. It does look like you have your lower half off the bike - that's good - but you also need to be looking past where your wing mirror would be. Also, if all else fails, just go faster - I found that the reason I was having such trouble touching down my knee pucks was that I was going too slow to warrant being that far off the bike.

That's what my friend told me after he followed me on the track for a bit. I should lean the upper part of my body off the bike more, although I'm not sure if this will get my knee down farther. It felt better after I followed his advice, as well. But after a few hard bits scraped the ground, I became leery of leaning any farther. My crappy stock tires did have about a 1/4 inch of lean left on them, so next time out, when I come prepared with new rearsets and removed centerstand, it should be easier.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The thing is, you're leaning further off the bike so that you can keep your bike more upright at the same speed. Holding your upper body further into the lean will definitely help you get your knee down. Your head is heavy and because it's so high up it has more leverage - leaning your 20lb noggin further out will have much more effect than shuffling your 40lb rear end off the seat.

Also, from the looks of the first pic, your feet aren't set properly on the pegs. Try keeping just the pad of your foot on the peg, with your big toes as tight to the bike as you can get them. Riding pigeon-toed is good for comfort, but not for bike control, and it should help you keep your knee against the tank as well (at least then knee on the top side when you're leaned over).

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

iamthexander posted:

my first bike, an '03 yzf600r :)

I love it!

FINALLY another.

Are you on YZF600R.com?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

French Canadian posted:

Oh god how did I get here I am not good with tracks

Hey there same helmet buddy :):hf::)

Aran posted:

FINALLY another.

Are you on YZF600R.com?

I'll be joining you soon with an '02. I should have had it yesterday but unbeknownst to me, BACS transfers take 4 days to clear :smithicide:

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

Aran posted:

FINALLY another.

Are you on YZF600R.com?

I think I may have an account there, but I never post. Generally this is the only automotive forum I post in. Is that forum worth it?

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

iamthexander posted:

I think I may have an account there, but I never post. Generally this is the only automotive forum I post in. Is that forum worth it?

I have a YZF600R too. With the Sargent reworked seat and gel grips, it makes the perfect sport-tourer IMO. Looking for a cheap stock exhaust for it though, as the Micron I have on there now is a little loud for the longer trips.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I had one. I kinda miss it.

I also had a GTO that you can see in the last picture. :smith:

Aran
Jan 17, 2007

by elpintogrande

iamthexander posted:

That depends. Do you like forums where there's a 99.9% chance that someone will know exactly what you need to fix a problem, or where you can find X part for 30% cheaper than you've already found it, etc.? :p

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

French Canadian posted:

That's what my friend told me after he followed me on the track for a bit. I should lean the upper part of my body off the bike more, although I'm not sure if this will get my knee down farther. It felt better after I followed his advice, as well. But after a few hard bits scraped the ground, I became leery of leaning any farther. My crappy stock tires did have about a 1/4 inch of lean left on them, so next time out, when I come prepared with new rearsets and removed centerstand, it should be easier.

Firstly, are you on the gas when hard parts are scraping the ground? If you're not, you need to get on maintenence throttle. It's essential to riding the track, read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, which explains it detail.

Secondly, you have the lean angle to drag knee, just not the body positioning. You're rotating your hips around the gas cap, rather then keeping them perpendicular to the line of the bike and moving sideways off the bike. If you cross up your shoulders so that your inside shoulder is facing forward, you're not going to drag knee until you're absurdly cranked over. If you square up your shoulders and move sideways off the bike you'll drag knee basically immediately. What you're doing is rotating your hips around the bike and sticking your knee more forward, rather than more out. You want your hips to be perpendicular to the line of the wheels, not parallel, and you'll be dragging knee in no time.

With that said, dragging knee has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you're going, it just looks cool and is a nice judge of lean angle, plus gives you a trick to save slides. Most of the time, though, they come back on their own anyways, it's a rare slide that is truly saved on the puck.

tokin
Jul 8, 2005

Keeping it gangster for reals

Z3n posted:

Firstly, are you on the gas when hard parts are scraping the ground? If you're not, you need to get on maintenence throttle. It's essential to riding the track, read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, which explains it detail.

Secondly, you have the lean angle to drag knee, just not the body positioning. You're rotating your hips around the gas cap, rather then keeping them perpendicular to the line of the bike and moving sideways off the bike. If you cross up your shoulders so that your inside shoulder is facing forward, you're not going to drag knee until you're absurdly cranked over. If you square up your shoulders and move sideways off the bike you'll drag knee basically immediately. What you're doing is rotating your hips around the bike and sticking your knee more forward, rather than more out. You want your hips to be perpendicular to the line of the wheels, not parallel, and you'll be dragging knee in no time.

With that said, dragging knee has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you're going, it just looks cool and is a nice judge of lean angle, plus gives you a trick to save slides. Most of the time, though, they come back on their own anyways, it's a rare slide that is truly saved on the puck.

I've ridden a 250 a bit the suspension on it cannot be confidence inspiring. At the lean angles required to drag knee I can almost guarantee you're bottoming out the suspension if you weigh anything more then 90lbs.

quote:

I also have a 2007 Ninja 250. I got it about a month ago, I think, with only 1800 miles, now up to 3000ish.

My first track day at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway last weekend. Went with a lot of San Diego Hypercycles/Buymoto people.

Hah, my teammate races for buymoto.com. We'll be down racing WSMC @ Willow Springs in December. I can ping ya when we go down.

tokin fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 11, 2008

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Spiffness posted:

What set of bags is that?

Nelson Rigg. Great stuff, and the customer service is fantastic. I got it all from NewEnough.

CL-150 Expandable Sport Tail Pack
CL-950 Deluxe Saddlebags
CL-650 Expandable Tank Bag

And a POS backpack holding an extra jacket bungeed to the tail bag.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

tokin posted:

I've ridden a 250 a bit the suspension on it cannot be confidence inspiring. At the lean angles required to drag knee I can almost guarantee you're bottoming out the suspension if you weigh anything more then 90lbs.

He has the lean angle to drag knee in that picture, it's a matter of body positioning. Also, judging from his proportions on the bike, he'd be alright weight wise.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jay_Zombie posted:

Bags

Thank you much. That looks like a great touring setup.

tProfessorChaost
Nov 28, 2007
not enough crusier love itt!
dads new victory vision (literally every option, came out to something like 23k$)

and my (his old) 2000(i think? maybe 01/02 never can remember) yamaha v-star 650

the baffles are drilled out on the pipes and it is loouuudddd.

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008

Coredump posted:

Can I get more pics of the xs400? My dad has a 1980 Yamaha xs850 and I want to see how his bike and your bike differ.

Well, really the only thing xs400 on that bike is the engine and the rear wheel.

Also, the xs850 is a 3 cylinder with a shaft drive i believe.

here's a another pic of it in a less finished state:

Click here for the full 909x682 image.

That's pretty much all I have. Are you looking for anything specific?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

tProfessorChaost posted:

not enough crusier love itt!
dads new victory vision (literally every option, came out to something like 23k$)

and my (his old) 2000(i think? maybe 01/02 never can remember) yamaha v-star 650

the baffles are drilled out on the pipes and it is loouuudddd.

Have you ridden the Vision? If so, how is it? I sat on one at the International Motorcycle Show and it seemed really comfy.

tProfessorChaost
Nov 28, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Have you ridden the Vision? If so, how is it? I sat on one at the International Motorcycle Show and it seemed really comfy.

rides way better than any big bike I've ever been on, super comfy, easy to handle for its size. the only complaints we have really had => there was a recall on the ignition switch, the bike would just shut off randomly O_o dealer fixed for free of course, and there are some issues with the ipod hookup, it seems to get interference from another electrical device, dunno if its just his bike or a more overreaching problem. but that's about it, i cant think of a single thing you would want that it doesn't have, i mean the windshield can be raised or lowered electronically from the grips.... it almost has too many features.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Bird-o-matic posted:

My R6 on the day I bought it:

I want. Don't tell me thats a special paint scheme that Europeans get :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

tProfessorChaost posted:

rides way better than any big bike I've ever been on, super comfy, easy to handle for its size. the only complaints we have really had => there was a recall on the ignition switch, the bike would just shut off randomly O_o dealer fixed for free of course, and there are some issues with the ipod hookup, it seems to get interference from another electrical device, dunno if its just his bike or a more overreaching problem. but that's about it, i cant think of a single thing you would want that it doesn't have, i mean the windshield can be raised or lowered electronically from the grips.... it almost has too many features.

Isn't it missing a GPS hookup, too? I heard that was a complaint for a bike that literally has everything else. Or maybe that was the new Concours.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the US market is limited to black/blue/silver/yellow for the '08. NZ gets black/blue/white instead.

tProfessorChaost
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Isn't it missing a GPS hookup, too? I heard that was a complaint for a bike that literally has everything else. Or maybe that was the new Concours.

it has one? he has a marine garmin unit on his (so its 100% waterproof.) which works great.

hammeritme
Oct 28, 2002

I like the cut of your jib

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

2005 cbr600 F4i with ~6k miles. Picking it up this week for $5k. Pretty exciting.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

My girlfriends 125cc Allstate

Husky TE250

My commuter

Lambretta TV175 and Cento projects

Ruhlmann
Sep 18, 2006
First and current bike:

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, just hit 9,500 miles today. It's been a great bike for everything from learning to ride on back roads, commuting daily, to weekend trips all over the northeast.

Currently thinking about upgrading to a FJR1300 for more long distance riding with a passenger and luggage.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I may be incorrect but I am fairly sure this is an 08 CE. Canadian Edition :canada:

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Nerobro posted:

A 1983 GS550ES. It has a rough re-jet by me and a K&N air filter. It also has a hand wound stator (by me), and a GSXR regulator rectifer. It was purchased for $300 as "misc motorcycle parts." The bike was abandoned at a suzuki dealer because the owner wouldn't pay for the repairs after wrecking it. Skreemer stopped by the dealer and because he rides a 1983 GS550E, the owner offered him the bike.

I'm exceedingly happy with it. It'll do a little more than 120mph, it accelerates fast enough, it hauls me and a passenger as far, and as fast as I like. The seat is a little.. rough on the derriere. My 1980 GS550's seat is much nicer. I'll post those pictures in a bit.

My brother had an '83 550E, purchased new in late '82. I got to ride that bike a fair amount in 84/85, and I loved it. I bought a lightly used '84 550ES in May of '88, partly spurred by an effort to get over being dumped by a girl who looked very much like Susanna Hoffs (the lead singer of The Bangles). It had a Lockhart lower, and seemed very fast to me. It had about 6,000 miles on it when I bought it. In '89 I bought a jet kit (which massively helped it, especially on low end torque, they were just jetted too lean from the factory) and a Vance & Hines pipe. After wrecking my car in late '88, it was my only motor vehicle from then until late '91. This was in Humboldt county, so I rode in lots of rain, very cold weather, and even in snow once.

I sold it in late 1993, with about 30,000 miles on it. Going for a brief ride on a friend's '92 CBR600F really ruined it for me. That bike had everything I wished my old Suzuki had but didn't. I went without a bike until...

I've had this since July of '05. 2001 1200 Bandit

I've since replaced the tall windscreen with a stock sized one. Though low on power by modern standards, it is more than powerful enough for me. I've only put about 4,000 miles on it in the three years I've owned it. I need to spend less time on my computer, and more time riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My bike, '03 SV650s. Picked it up in Feb with 8100 miles, just rolled over 10,800 today riding home from work. I don't think I've bothered taking the car out of the garage since memorial day weekend, and that's because I had a wedding to go to :)

It's got some scuffs from the previous 2 owners, the only things I've done are the flushmount turn signals to replace the busted stock ones, and a Zero Gravity double bubble windscreen, since the stock one was covered in some sort of crap that I couldn't get off :( I also replaced the stock tires, since they were getting a bit scary being 5 years old.

Just finished washing, changing the oil, and cleaning/lubing the chain tonight.