Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

My fingers are almost working again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That's a cool bike.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

dema posted:

My fingers are almost working again.

Absolutely spoiled

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Happy new bike day. Extremely weird not having a clutch or shifter, but I like it so far

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What is that? Looks pretty cool, very interesting styling.

Prepar to clean the seat every day lmao

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The seat looks very awkward and extremely uncomfortable. Do you slide back and forward anytime you ride up or down the hill?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

What is that? Looks pretty cool, very interesting styling.

Prepar to clean the seat every day lmao

Looks like it's one of these: https://ryvid.com/products/anthem

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wow one of these VC scam companies actually shipped a bike to a person. Please give us an in depth review as you ride more!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

imo

Curious to see how the adjustable seat holds up over time. Looks like the subframe is on a pivot and held in place with a length-adjustable stanchion.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

quote:

The Launch Edition Anthem comes fully kitted with Pirelli Diablo Rosso™ IV's. These tires are high performance, have all-season capabilities, and are eco-friendly — a perfect fit for the Anthem.

Uhhhh

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It is the Ryvid. I haven't noticed any discomfort with the seat so far, but I haven't had a chance to ride it too much just yet. So far it's performing as advertised. Not mind-blowing performance, but definitely more motorcycle-feeling than an e-bike. It does a decent job of getting in front of traffic and has been fun to tool around town in. I've been keeping it in Sports mode instead of Eco most of the time, and it seems to be getting pretty good range. I took a ride somewhere around 6.5-7 miles in sports mode that included a short 55mph stretch, and that burned about 10 percent of my battery, which is advertised at 75 miles in eco mode under "ideal conditions." I haven't taken it over 60mph yet. But one of the reasons I got it is because I rarely get on highways.

I'm still getting used to the feel of an electric bike vs a combustion engine. While it's kind of neat to have a smooth, silent ride, things like acceleration from a standstill just feel fundamentally different. I'm going to have to ride it more to form a more solid opinion.

My initial concerns are around some of the battery parts. The plastic pieces that cover the connection cords and charging socket are barely held in by anything, and I'm paranoid they are going to fly off. One of the big selling points is being able to remove the battery to wheel it somewhere to charge, which is great since I live in an apartment. I gave it a go, and it is pretty quick to take off and put back on. But I'm a bit paranoid that doing that on a regular basis will gently caress up or wear down some of the connections or parts. I'll be using the charging station at work whenever I can to avoid that.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I have to preface this. I am sorry, and all companies have marketing departments. But. This thing rips this is special.

« Throw a leg over the Anthem and it hits you: this is no ordinary EV.

From the Ergo-Easy, ride height-adjustable seat to the vivid, 4.9-inch TFT display screen, this bike feels like it was built around you. Whip away from a standstill and it comes alive, zipping through space with ease.
This. Thing. Rips.
The feeling comes from the instant thrust of the electric motor and 4.7 to 1 ratio final drive that transforms electrons into speed with whip-snap ease. The bike corners intuitively and cleanly, thanks to a low center of gravity, leaning in with confidence-inspiring grip.
Best of all the Anthem’s athleticism feels potent but discreet. Thanks to its whispery operation, all you hear is the whir of the belt drive and the pounding of your heart.
The thrill of EV riding has been amped up:
are you in?»

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 1, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I do appreciate that they give you a $250 credit to take your beginner riders course.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Supradog posted:

I have to preface this. I am sorry, and all companies have marketing departments. But. This thing rips this is special.

From the Ergo-Easy, ride height-adjustable seat to the vivid, 4.9-inch TFT display screen, this bike feels like it was built around you. Whip away from a standstill and it comes alive, zipping through space with ease.
This. Thing. Rips.
The feeling comes from the instant thrust of the electric motor and 4.7 to 1 ratio final drive that transforms electrons into speed with whip-snap ease. The bike corners intuitively and cleanly, thanks to a low center of gravity, leaning in with confidence-inspiring grip.
Best of all the Anthem’s athleticism feels potent but discreet. Thanks to its whispery operation, all you hear is the whir of the belt drive and the pounding of your heart.
are you in?»

That's awesome. For too long motorcycle industry bigwigs have forced us to choose between potent or discreet athleticism. It's about time we got to have both.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

This. Thing. Rips.
are you in?»

Cycling industry contraction has left a lot of marketeers out of a job I see

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

I do appreciate that they give you a $250 credit to take your beginner riders course.

While my refund window was open, I lurked on the Ryvid subreddit to read user impressions of the Anthem since apparently they haven't sent any bikes to reviewers since they started shipping (which was worrying). There was a whole discussion about if people should learn how to ride a normal motorcycle before jumping from their e-bike to an e-motorcycle. Basically everyone who had riding experience said to take the rider course and maybe even buy a cheap gas motorcycle first, and people who didn't have riding experience asked why they would bother learning how to use a clutch when you just twist and go. Eventually the CEO came out and basically posted, "Please learn how to ride a motorcycle, we will give you money to do it." I guess they don't want a wave of deaths associated with their brand

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The notion that an e-bike can in any way shape or form prepare you for a motorcycle, regardless of propulsion method, is both tragic and hilarious in equal measure

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

The notion that an e-bike can in any way shape or form prepare you for a motorcycle, regardless of propulsion method, is both tragic and hilarious in equal measure

Listen here, I have extensive roller skating experience and here is how that translates directly into motorcycle skills and furthermore

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Wayne posted:

Happy new bike day. Extremely weird not having a clutch or shifter, but I like it so far

That looks pretty cool, keep us updated on how it goes. I agree that you will either be cleaning that seat constantly or you will just accept that it’s permanently going to sort of look like your pants.

I had a DRZ with a yellow seat and it was constantly sort of denim colored.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

tbh sur rons is a great way to prepare for the poo poo tier suspension one can expect from a crf250l or a klr.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The surron is a lovely motorbike with bicycle rolling parts though, it has no pedals

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

The surron is a lovely motorbike with bicycle rolling parts though, it has no pedals

I see someone zipping around campus on one of these and it looks pretty perfect for that, except I assume everyone would try to steal it.

My buddy is thinking of taking his BRC and starting to ride and I have been commenting at every opportunity that his car experience is completely irrelevant to anything motorcycle related.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 1, 2024

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The scariest thing I’ve ridden (so far) was a 50cc Vespa from the 50’s someone had done an electric conversion on that still had the stomp and pray brake and tried to wheelie between stop signs if you gave it any throttle at all.

I assume this rides somewhat better.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That looks pretty cool, keep us updated on how it goes. I agree that you will either be cleaning that seat constantly or you will just accept that it’s permanently going to sort of look like your pants.

I was planning on posting my updated impressions after a couple of hundred miles. But we've had freezing rain off and on for a few days now, so I'll just post since I can't ride.

Seat update: It's mostly clean right now. The manufacturer said they will send me a black seat for 250 bucks, so I think I'll stick with a dirty white seat for a while.

Pros
Really fun bike with a decent amount of torque. The Anthem doesn't feel quite as torquey as my Ducati Scrambler, even though they supposedly have similar numbers. But it definitely gets me in front of traffic when I'm in sport mode.
The battery gives it a nice, low center of gravity. It makes it oddly satisfying to ride at slow speeds.
It handled a short ride on the interstate like a champ. Got up to 75mph easily and then decided not to go 1mph faster. Bonus of going interstate speeds is that you get to watch your battery drain like it was in an Alan Wake flashlight.
I was worried about the battery being a chore to pop on and off the bike, but it's actually quick and easy. It probably takes less than two minutes, and I don't feel like I'm at risk of breaking anything.
The adjustable seat is a low key great feature. I was able to find a sweet spot of just being able to flat foot the bike while being decently high. It's also the only feature my friends who aren't into motorcycles seem to be impressed by.
Reverse is another feature I didn't think I would like as much as I do. Ditto the keyless ignition
Both eco and sports riding modes are fun. I don't feel like I have to always be in sport mode, though I mostly am. Regenerative braking is always on in eco mode. I've never driven an EV car or anything, but it feels a bit like engine braking. There's a button around where the clutch would be to engage regenerative braking in sport mode. Pretty cool idea.

Cons
No revving when passing kids
You have to switch back the blinkers to neutral to turn them off instead of just pressing a button like I'm used to
No ABS, but the brakes seem decent enough
Suspension is not great
They definitely cheaped out on some parts. The tank storage was barely held closed and didn't have a lock at all. Luckily someone on Reddit found a four dollar lock that fit perfectly as a replacement (you can see it in that picture of my seat.) The storage is also really small! Additionally, the removable plastic guards over some of the plugs on the battery were barely held in by anything. I was paranoid they would fly off at some point, so I taped some velcro over them.
My biggest con with the Anthem right now is that it shakes and vibrates hard when I'm between 40-50mph. It's probably more shaky than my old DR650. Once I get past 50mph, the ride is completely smooth again. I'm working with support on seeing if it's something I can fix easily. They think it's something to do with the weights on the wheels

Neutral Observations
It's small. One guy who saw it couldn't believe it wasn't a converted Grom. Even the handlebars and controls are fun sized. If my hands were any bigger, they'd be hanging off the handlebars. I'm 5'9, 150 pounds, and I don't know how comfortable I would be on this bike if I was much bigger. Here is the Anthem next to my Scrambler for comparison. My Scrambler also has seat issues right now, but I actually am planning on buying a new seat for that one.
I've never had a bike with cruise control before. But it seems wasted on a city bike like this one.
The dash is a mixed bag. It has the info I need, but the UI is a bit wonky. Some text doesn't align, it has random caps, things like that. I do like that it has a dark mode for night.
Once you get up to about 30mph or so, the wind noise is louder than the engine. So it feels like the bike is completely silent.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Just hope it doesn't fall apart within the first year or two.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thank you for the very comprehensive review. It does look like an electric Grom, hotdamn

I imagine that the speed limit is a function of whatever ride mode you are currently in. My electric car is hard limited to 65 mph in economy mode, for example.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Professor Wayne posted:

That's super cool, a buddy of mine just recently started working for their design department.

Super interesting to see it next to a Scrambler. My Husqvarna 401 looks similar and people always assume it's electric due to being slightly smaller than a typical bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

First weekend ride of the season. Its finally not pissing down rain or being -20c/-5f and the roads are drying up.

Forecast to be sunny today, overcast and a little above freezing saturday and sunday.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Wife bought me a CFMOTO 800NK Advanced for my 40th birthday. Picked it up on Saturday.

Only criticisms are that CarPlay is randomly laggy sometimes, and the Maxxis tyres it comes with are ok, but not great. Other than that, this isn't just a great bike by Chinese standards, it's a great bike full stop. Extremely flickable and agile, and it's got crazy amounts of torque lower in the rev range. It's left me grinning like an idiot more than once.

Yes, it has CarPlay, as well as a bunch of other crazy tech. Factory fitted real-time GPS tracking, the ability to use your phone instead of the smart key, and OTA software updates to add extra features.

All of this on the giant tablet-sized instrument panel:

One think I'm not entirely sure I like is the touch being locked out over 30km/h. Having to pull over to change Spotify playlists if Siri can't hear me is kind of a pain in the rear end, but I see where they are coming from. At least the left grip has a decent illuminated switch block with arrow keys, a dedicated voice command button, a function button (scrolls through screen displays, brightness and the riding modes, etc), and an assignable favorite button.

I intend to keep daily riding it as long as I can until the weather here goes to total crap for the winter.

Edit: I sold the 700CL-X I used to have about 18 months ago for no reason other than having nowhere to keep it while I was building my house. Already have the VT750C, three cars, and a boat to store. The extra bike was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as storage went, and considering the CL-X was stock, and the VT has a lot of work in it, the CL-X was the one to go.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 12, 2024

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That looks pretty nice!

Also gently caress touch screens on motorcycles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Probably a perfectly good bike but this is aids

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:stonk:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

It isn’t as bad as it seems.

Other than the occasional changing of Spotify playlists, which I can usually do with voice commands, I haven’t yet really needed to interact with it that much while moving. Everything is done with the physical controls on the handlebars that you don’t need to look at.

The lag I mentioned is more around skipping tracks - You press the arrow button, and it takes 2-3 seconds before anything happens. Everything else is pretty responsive.

The biggest advantage is being able to have Waze visible all the time. Mobile (and fixed) speed and red light cameras are rampant where I live, so seeing the speed limit info and getting visible warnings in advance is really useful for keeping my license.

They at least did the sensible thing and put CarPlay at the bottom, so when you’re riding and looking ahead normally, you only see the top part with the gauges in your peripheral vision.

There’s also a full screen gauge display that hides it altogether by pressing a physical button.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh it's every bit as bad as it seems.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

Oh it's every bit as bad as it seems.

No it isn't.

Being able to use my own mapping app makes my life easier when I'm commuting and that's what matters to me.

Maybe If you don't like touchscreens on bikes, then don't buy a bike with a touchscreen.

Bass Ackwards fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Mar 13, 2024

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

When I was looking around for my next bike a few months ago, I was surprised at how many modern dashes look like iphones or little tablets. I guess this is just the future. People in the gear thread are posting about their standalone carplay units that mount on their handlebars. This honestly seems more streamlined if that's a feature you want on your bike.

It does look like a fun bike. It also looks like it came out of Mass Effect. Like if you swapped the K in the "800NK" logo to a 7, it would fit right in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I’m for sure not ragging on CarPlay. I’m one of those installing an aftermarket CarPlay unit on my bike.

It’s just having a giant tablet as your one interface to the bike that weirds me out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah I’m for sure not ragging on CarPlay. I’m one of those installing an aftermarket CarPlay unit on my bike.

It’s just having a giant tablet as your one interface to the bike that weirds me out.

With a touchscreen. Mounted in the weather. Because it doesn't rain or get foggy or anything. Sure most riders are just fair weather riders but still.
It's probably running car play on some vm/container/jvm causing the laggy bullshit. That'll age well.
And when it succumbs to water ingress, have fun with that.

LCDs are unfortunately here to stay. Just get good at repairing these components because lol at oem support in 5 years.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I was at Daytona last week, and the only reason I go to that event is to be able to demo a whole lot of motorcycles in a very short period of time. I'll post pictures of the highlights, this is the thread for this after all.

CFMoto has their own demo tent and an unusually large parking lot attached, they must have expected a crowd. But it was the opposite, I've never seen more than 1-2 people browsing, let alone taking bikes for a test ride. Yamaha tent 80 ft away was chock full of people for every demo ride every 45 minutes or so. It was pretty weird.

While waiting for a Yamaha demo, I strolled over to CFMoto for a closer look. They did not like my opener question about where the bikes are made. Seem like it was a popular question, because the salesman had a very long and canned response "In China, buuuuuuut it's essentially KTM technology, built at the same factory, so think of them as KTM please"

I never owned the KTM before, but their perceived reputation is not exactly stellar, combined with the reputation of Chinese designed and manufactured products, I can see why this is a problem. And then every motorcycle looked like they've taken an existing product from a different manufacturer and just traced over it with a fat marker, fat enough to avoid trademark lawsuits. Like, I could clearly point at the Yamaha bikes on the same parking lot and then point at the CFmoto comparable item in front of me. Except I know Yamaha designed their poo poo 12 years ago, and that's mostly tried and true items, being continuously updated and improved.

But hey, they're priced at like 20% less. I still didn't want to test any of it. That's my CFMoto story, thanks for reading

Edit: Here's an accidental picture of cfmoto in the background, while I was taking pictures of my Tracer demo

I uploaded some more bike photos from Daytona, the more interesting ones at least. Have a gander
https://imgur.com/a/iND7vv7

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 13, 2024

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Nitrox posted:

They did not like my opener question about where the bikes are made. Seem like it was a popular question, because the salesman had a very long and canned response.

See the exact same conversation with a dealer of Japanese vehicles 40 years ago, Korean vehicles 20 years ago, etc. They probably didn’t like it because they’re sick of hearing it over and over.

People assume that nothing ever improves from their early products, and never let go of that assumption.

Considering that they’ve been making bikes for 35 years now, I’d say their quality is more than a few steps above what it was even 10 years ago (when they first started buying into KTM’s parent company), and the fact that reviews constantly put them on par with Japanese bikes nowadays, I think it’s a safe bet to stop assuming they are just another Chinese knock-off manufacturer.

I had exactly zero issues with my 700CL-X in the entire time I owned it, and none of the people I know who have their bikes (five in total) have had any issues either. Yes, I know that’s anecdotal evidence, but it’s enough that I didn’t think twice about owning another one.

They must also be doing something right considering they are literally going to be building bikes for Yamaha now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i heard the cfmoto low displacement sport bike is pretty cool

also that yamaha looks like it has the exact same display