Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

'07 R6 (Mine)'06 Yamaha Vstar with full dress (my moms) Sadly she go cut off if traffic coming some from work and over applied her rear brake, slid out and hit the center divide. She opted to just total the Bike, though it could of been easily repaired, the frame wasnt even bent. I mean just look at it VVVV

But Ma said she was done with bikes, which is a shame, since she's been riding since before I was born. And now I have no riding partner to go Zipping around Julian in California when I'm home on leave.
Moving onwards...

I get a raging erection every time I mount her. She's stock for now, and pipes are first on my list.

My first bike was a 1961 Honda dream

It was rusting away in my grandpa's backyard, so I got it running and ended up selling it. That telever (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) Leading link suspension and stamped metal body was something else.

ChauchetRedemption fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Magnum1371 posted:

My first bike was a 1961 Honda dream

It was rusting away in my grandpa's backyard, so I got it running and ended up selling it. That telever (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong) suspension and stamped metal body was something else.

Leading link, not telever.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Nerobro posted:

Leading link, not telever.

Thanks I'll edit it

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
My first bike, 2002 SV650N:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Totaled:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

New bike, 2002 SV650S:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Loaded for last week's trip:

Taking a piss with her clothes off:

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Hey check out my bike :v:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

It's a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 that has a nasty oil leak in the final drive. I'm waiting for parts to come in to fix it, but right now it's collecting dust.

So I'm riding my wife's bike around.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

She has a 1997 Honda Magna. It's a good bike for her since it's not as high of the ground as mine, but I don't like the way it handles and sits. My Vulcan is much more comfortable and handles awesome for a cruiser, but the Magna is much faster.

M323
Dec 12, 2003
I see your adequately powered motorcycles and raise you this

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

Click here for the full 800x1067 image.

I picked this 1971 CB175 up a month ago for 450$. Needed carbs rebuilt, 2 tires and a battery. I've been commuting with it for a while now and it's great fun... and 85MPG

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

M323 posted:

I see your adequately powered motorcycles and raise you this

I picked this 1971 CB175 up a month ago for 450$. Needed carbs rebuilt, 2 tires and a battery. I've been commuting with it for a while now and it's great fun... and 85MPG
You stole that bike. I'd pay $900 and not bat an eyelash.

Just to add to the fun. I washed my RM250, and it's for sale.. When I was still looking for a MX bike, I was looking for an 84-86 RM250. Same sort of max max styling, but with disks and powervalves. Oh for the love of a powervalve.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/mcy/754962686.html Ignore the price there, it's yours for $500.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

Just picked up this '96 katana 600 for $1200. She needs a little work, which I'm stumbling through learning from a manual, a katana riders forum, and of course, you guys. (I have no real life motorcycle friends, although 2 buddies are looking to buy their first too :gbsmith: )

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Sassafrasquatch posted:

Just picked up this '96 katana 600 for $1200. She needs a little work, which I'm stumbling through learning from a manual, a katana riders forum, and of course, you guys. (I have no real life motorcycle friends, although 2 buddies are looking to buy their first too :gbsmith: )
Those bikes start out ugly. Then people paint them flat black. It's like they're trying to make those with taste puke. I also have to say it's not really a katana unless it's a GS750, GS1000 or GS1100. :-) Extra points if you have a canadian 750 with the retractable headlight.

What sort of work does it need? If you need a "redeming" point about the bike. Rest assured you have a GSXR motor in your bike. That said, it's a suzuki, it will always get you home. Enjoy your new wheels.

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

Click here for the full 700x468 image.

Just washed '05 Monster with new-ish tires. Looking to add another bike to the stable some point soon.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Here's my first bike. It's not much, but I don't have a M endorsement yet. Still a blast to ride and gets around 90mpg. It has more than 1/4 paid for itself in the first 1000 miles when compared to driving my Land Rover for 1000 miles.

I ride it to work just about every day now that it is sort of warm here.

Dat Kush
Aug 21, 2007

presidential shit
Sweet thread...Lots of dope bikes in here.

My '02 Kawa Vulcan 1500 :

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up
Me and my R1150GS, only 123,000 miles now ;)

Somewhere in New Mexico:

US 129

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

2001 CBR600F4i. Considerably less pretty now.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

I don't ride it though, I just stand next to it looking gorgeous.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

N183CS posted:

Here's my first bike. It's not much, but I don't have a M endorsement yet. Still a blast to ride and gets around 90mpg. It has more than 1/4 paid for itself in the first 1000 miles when compared to driving my Land Rover for 1000 miles.

I ride it to work just about every day now that it is sort of warm here.

Ruckin' ain't easy, but it sure do pay.

Polynomial
Mar 23, 2005

Look, I'm a liberal guy, voting for Obama, yada yada.

Dat Kush posted:

God I love cruisers so much. I'm saving up my money for a Honda Shadow VLX, but this Vulcan is a thing of beauty.

copsh
Jan 28, 2008
i'm sick sick

17K miles, had it from 14K and only had it 3 months hahaha.

had at at 33bhp for a week (a2 liscence) got bored, derestricted to 50bhp :D. God drat does it need those 17 more tho its just loving crap restricted. Now it'll do 0-60 in under 6 and hit 115 just. Although it feels a bit unstable anywhere past 100.

Personly i dont think BMW should make bikes they do a pretty crap job of it. I mean c'mon it just looks so bulky and unattractive. That and the noise it makes is a bit dry, its not even that fast and it weighs too much. It does however have ABS and heated handlebars which are nice. Just to clarify why I have this after slagging it off; I got it as a gift from a relative who bought a bigger bike (1200gs) and gave it to me for my birthday. I had a CBR 125 before and so choosing between that and this was a no brainer.

One other major downside is parts. Parts are loving expensive. I drove off with the disk-brake lock on once (durrrrr) and because one piece broke the ENTIRE loving brake had to be replaced at loving £700! I took the old one and sold it for working parts mind so its not all bad.

Gonna drive to Holland next friday. About 300 miles. Gonna be niiiice.

nb. took the mirrors off cause mirrors are a bitch in traffic and london is full of traffic.

copsh fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 15, 2008

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Dat Kush posted:

That is a gorgeous bike. I can't wait to pick up my first cruiser.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

webwench posted:

I have to ask because I've met a few other BMW owners but is it common to ride these things well past 100k? A friend of mine has an 80's BMW that hes put well over 190k on and it just keeps on going.

I ask because in the future I might be looking for a nice touring bike that I'll be comfortable with for a long time.

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

8ender posted:

I have to ask because I've met a few other BMW owners but is it common to ride these things well past 100k?

I'd say it's common, the boxer engines especially have that reputation for longevity, as long as they're maintained reasonably. I'd recommend it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

webwench posted:

I'd say it's common, the boxer engines especially have that reputation for longevity, as long as they're maintained reasonably. I'd recommend it.

Were there any lightweight ones made in eighties - early nineties? Those are all around my price range. I'm a little put off by how heavy they all seem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

webwench posted:

I find it ironic that BMW has this reputation, considering that most motorcycles will easily rack up that sort of distance when maintained correctly. It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis. I had a SV650, which is well know for being a "budget bike", that had 135k on it, when I got it. It had been tracked and raced regularly for a good part of that as well. Transmission went at 140k. It was well maintained, and the engine itself was still fine.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

I have to ask because I've met a few other BMW owners but is it common to ride these things well past 100k?
i think i've got well over 100k on mine, but i don't know because the odo doesn't go that high.

8ender posted:

Were there any lightweight ones made in eighties - early nineties? Those are all around my price range. I'm a little put off by how heavy they all seem.
i think they started making the f650s (single) in the early or mid 90s. you should be able to find an 80s/90s boxer out there for a tolerable price though. all the awesomest bikers have 80s/90s bmw GSes and aerostich suits and ride in february.

webwench posted:

where you been all this time? we need more adv types posting ride reports here.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Repo Man posted:

I bought a lightly used '84 550ES in May of '88, partly spurred by an effort to get over being dumped by a girl who looked very much like Susanna Hoffs (the lead singer of The Bangles).

Who are The Bangles? :confused:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

kdc67 posted:

Who are The Bangles? :confused:

:wtc: How old are you, boy?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

*walks like an Egyptian* That was the first music video I ever saw...

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

100 Years in Iraq posted:

:wtc: How old are you, boy?

Well first off, I'm a girl. Secondly, it was a joke due to the fact that Repo Man was old enough to ride and buy a motorcycle the year I was born ('83). Lastly, I love my 80's music.

Fake edit: drat you, Nero. :arghfist: I'll get you yet.

Real edit: I have pretty pictures of my '80 with the luggage rack removed.

kdc67 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 15, 2008

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

8ender posted:

You could try looking for a K75.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_K75

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis.
i wouldn't doubt that. i like bmw riders in general, they seem to take riding more seriously. when i went to the bmw rally in wisconsin last year, (home of harley, no hemlet laws) at the rally nearly every single rider i saw had helmet jacket pants boots and gloves. when i rode away from the rally area, i didn't see more than ONE rider with even a helmet. the whole week i was there. the contrast was pretty stark.

Repo Man posted:

Susanna Hoffs (the lead singer of The Bangles)
wow she's actually hotter now. entertainment industry logic dictates that she ought to look like amy winehouse's corpse by now. how did this happen?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

8ender posted:

I don't know much about that era of BMW bikes. I will tell you that you would probably get used to the weight of whatever you end up with. I'm not a very big person, but as long as I'm not pushing mine up a hill or something, I don't even notice the weight.

Z3n posted:

I find it ironic that BMW has this reputation, considering that most motorcycles will easily rack up that sort of distance when maintained correctly. It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis.

I suspect there's a lot of truth to that :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

where you been all this time? we need more adv types posting ride reports here.

I've posted some ride reports on advrider, but never posted one here. We're going up into Canada in September, maybe that'll be my first goon ride report.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Dang, you guys have some gorgeous bikes.

Here's some crappy cameraphone shots of my rat-in-progress '84 XLH 1000 Sportster.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kdc67 posted:

You actually out and about on the street with that thing yet? Ever get new tires and R/R? BTW battlax BT-45 will run you under 200 for the set...

Nerobro: SAVE MY STAND! It's universal and too awesomely blue to let go...

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?
I am pretty much bikeless at the moment but I thought I would share some of my past bikes if that is okay, reading this thread is making me jealous.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/Sauc0r/P1010238.jpg
My first bike and I still regret selling it to this day

Moved on to a purple ninja with major carb problems

and then this, I think everyone owns a gixxer at some point

Since there seems to be a few XS bobbers here is my friends XS650 he just finished

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 7, 2008

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I know' I'm posting twice. But I have a better picture. You've all seen what the KLR looked like a few months ago:

This is what it looks like now, most of the time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Skreemer posted:

You actually out and about on the street with that thing yet? Ever get new tires and R/R? BTW battlax BT-45 will run you under 200 for the set...

I am not. The R/R is all installed and we got the bike running. Tires will be bought. I don't know how well you remember how worn they were, but the front's worn completely down in the middle and the rear's not much better so I don't even want to go play around in a parking lot with it right now. Nero's ridden it around town a little bit after we got the R/R in. It also needs a new chain, and then we'll do the little maintenance stuff like engine and fork oil changes since who knows when those were last done.

BUUUUT... quitting one's job does not really help with funds.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Z3n posted:

I find it ironic that BMW has this reputation, considering that most motorcycles will easily rack up that sort of distance when maintained correctly. It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis. I had a SV650, which is well know for being a "budget bike", that had 135k on it, when I got it. It had been tracked and raced regularly for a good part of that as well. Transmission went at 140k. It was well maintained, and the engine itself was still fine.
I think the reputation was founded by the airhead boxer in the 70s and 80s, when (IIRC) not a lot of other bike engines were particularly long-lived.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest
Here is an image with my current bike a 2007 FZ6 at my friends house. In the background, is my very first bike, a Ninja 500 that I had sold to my friend after a while.

After that I found a BMW k1200rs at a salvage shop for $1800, All I could see was some damage to the valve cover, and some rashed fairings, I figured it was a good project for the price, Here was when I got the valve cover replaced, and some fairings on ebay ( The fairings turned out to be complete trash and were about 100% bondo on the inside )

The end result, I was able to put it together enough for it to run and take a quick trip around the block, but it was way too big for me, and there was still more work needed. I sold it off to help fund a bike closer matched to my size.

My bike after that was a VFR800. I loved that bike, unfortunately I made a really dumb car purchase and sold it to buy the new car I should have got in the first place :(

Magwai fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 16, 2008

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

SaucyPants posted:

I am pretty much bikeless at the moment but I thought I would share some of my past bikes if that is okay, reading this thread is making me jealous.

My first bike and I still regret selling it to this day

There have been quite a few of those in this thread. I still remember when they first came out. The GPz550 had been the bike that made my heart flutter, but when I began seeing V45 Interceptors around in late '83, it was my new love.

Probably my most memorable moment for seeing a bike for the first time was checking out the GSXR750 at the Suzuki display at Laguna Seca in 1985. Seeing Penny Baker (Miss January 1984) signing posters at the Suzuki tent was really cool, but I think the GSXR was even more awe inspiring. It was so different than any street bike I'd ever seen before. Having a GSXR750 of that vintage in good shape would be really cool.

Nerobro, I still have the July 1983 issue of Cycle that has a write up of the GS550ES. Would you like me to scan it and put it up?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

rope kid posted:

I think the reputation was founded by the airhead boxer in the 70s and 80s, when (IIRC) not a lot of other bike engines were particularly long-lived.

More like the 50's and 60's. By the 70's everybody had things sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaucyPants
May 7, 2007

All the cool kids are watching FIM. Why aren't you?

Repo Man posted:

There have been quite a few of those in this thread. I still remember when they first came out. The GPz550 had been the bike that made my heart flutter, but when I began seeing V45 Interceptors around in late '83, it was my new love.

Probably my most memorable moment for seeing a bike for the first time was checking out the GSXR750 at the Suzuki display at Laguna Seca in 1985. Seeing Penny Baker (Miss January 1984) signing posters at the Suzuki tent was really cool, but I think the GSXR was even more awe inspiring. It was so different than any street bike I'd ever seen before. Having a GSXR750 of that vintage in good shape would be really cool.

Nerobro, I still have the July 1983 issue of Cycle that has a write up of the GS550ES. Would you like me to scan it and put it up?
there is atleast 3 first gen 750's in my city. I had a chance to buy one but didnt have the funds. I would still love to own one one day. Unfortunately none of the ones in town here have stock paint anymore.