Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Here's my first bike. It's not much, but I don't have a M endorsement yet. Still a blast to ride and gets around 90mpg. It has more than 1/4 paid for itself in the first 1000 miles when compared to driving my Land Rover for 1000 miles.

I ride it to work just about every day now that it is sort of warm here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Stupid snow, just when I thought spring was here we get dumped on.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/N183CS/102_4299.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 26, 2009

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just scored a 91 BMW GS Paris Dakar. Problem is it is 5000+ miles away at my dads house in CT and I am in Alaska. My plan was to fly home next spring and ride it up here, but I found out today that work might be transferring me next summer. Either way wherever I go I'll get there in huge and incredibly overbuilt style.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

huplescat posted:

I'm working on my brother to upgrade to a 1000 instead of a 600. He's been riding a Ducati Monster 600 for the last year and is looking at a Honda CBR600RR.

I think the CBR1000RR would be SO much better for him in terms of comfort as it's slightly longer (he's 6'2" or so) but also how much he'll get out of it riding it. Even the dealer agreed that he'd be unlikely to outgrow the 1000 any time soon.

I was gonna buy a 600 but went for a 750 instead, best decision ever :D

I sat on a fairly new CBR600 at a dealer recently and I really liked the feel of it. I have never ridden a street bike, but I could definitely see myself on one, assuming I lived where there were more roads. I'm 5'7" and my BMW is tall enough to the point that I have to get off and push it backwards if I park at any sort of downhill angle.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I just rode my new-to-me BMW R100GS Paris Dakar ~6200 miles in three weeks from Salt Lake City to Kodiak Alaska. In two years of ownership of my F650 I have only put ~2000 miles on it so I think it'll be sold and the proceeds will go to upgrades for the Paris Dakar. I've already got happy trails panniers and a Motorrad Elektric 450 watt charging system and new starter picked out. I think this winter I'll send the transmission out to be rebuilt and get the wheels restored by Woodys Wheels. I bent the front rim on a dirt road in Montana a week into my trip and beat it back into shape with big rocks. The final drive will need rebuilding soon but I'm confident it'll last until the end of riding season and I already have the parts to rebuild it. The carbs could probably use attention too and new cables are a given. I fell in love with this bike and I think everyone who buys an old bike should ride it home so they can get a feel for it. I doubt I'll ever let this one go.
When I finish my advrider ride report I'll start on one for CA as well.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

cheesebot posted:

Agreed, if they weren't so much more expensive than the newer singles (like the 2001 GS/Dakar I ended up with) I would've held out for an R100GS/PD. Anyone looking for a trade?

I paid the same amount for my GSPD as I did for my Funduro, combined they still cost less than half of what a new GS cost. :woop:

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

PyxlWyz posted:

My pimped out Honda Ruckus:

...with Angry Eyes mod

I miss my Ruckus so much, maybe I should sell some poo poo and buy a new one. It was my first bike and I wasn't aware of the crazy world of Ruckus modding until after I sold it :( If I sell my F650 soon I may buy a new one and start all over.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I got impulsive on ebay the other night and paid stupid little money for this 85 R80 G/S. I'm gonna do the opposite of my giant fat GS and keep this one simple.

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It needs the round valve covers though.

I'm actually a fan of the newer valve covers on the G/S'. They were new enough to look good back then. The whole bike reminds me of the awesome era that was mid 80's european motorsports and the valve covers looked cool enough to work. On the later GS Airheads I agree the /5 covers look good because the rest of the bike looks like some horrible 90's pastel splash abomination. I'm gonna keep the later covers on the G/S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
I bought this about a month ago, still waiting for the terrible shipping company to get it to me. It's a 51 BSA B33 with a 53 BB prefix engine. I plan on stripping it to the frame, replacing all the incorrect hardware, repaint the tank with the correct D panels and some other stuff. I'd like to chrome the tank like it was originally, but I'll have to see the condition first. My goal is to make this into a weekend backroads tourer that I can do some primitive camping with.

I also recently got this 85 BMW R80 G/S, but my plans have changed and I think I want to sell it now, it is too similar to my other old BMW.