Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
Trusty old EX250:

My R6 on the day I bought it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I want. Don't tell me thats a special paint scheme that Europeans get :(

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the US market is limited to black/blue/silver/yellow for the '08. NZ gets black/blue/white instead.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Here we go....

We could all just go read the archived megathread and pretend we had the argument all over again...

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

My wife's new-to-her 1990 zxr250. 23000km on the clock, lots more fun than the ex250.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Simkin posted:

That's a nice looking little biek. It looks to be in pretty nice condition, considering it'd be what, a 1992 model or thereabouts? What's it like to ride in anger, compared to the EX250 - since that's about the closest point of reference I have?

It's definitely more sporty than the ex250; the chassis and suspension are way more confidence inspiring when you ride hard, and while it's only got an extra 10-15hp on the butt dyno it sounds like it's in a completely different class. Because it revs so high you've got that race-bike scream even at legal speeds.

And yeah, with a 19k redline it's completely useless below 6-7k. It also feels like it's geared higher than the ex250, which is nice. No word yet on fuel economy but we're taking it touring in a couple of weeks, that should be a great way to see what it can do.

What really impressed me was the little things - the dash is nicely laid out and the clutch/brake lever adjusters are really user friendly. Only drawback we've found so far is that the key is really loose in the ignition; the PO attached a small D-ring to the keychain so you can clip it to the bars, because the key can actually be vibrated out of the ignition (and the bike merrily keeps going).

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Simkin posted:

Other than the key being ... umm ... sloppy :shlick: how is the build quality? I'd imagine they're screwed together a fair bit better than the EX250. I mean, not that there's anything inherently wrong with the build quality on an EX250/500, but there's definitely an air of getting what you pay for, that's evident in all of the components and how they're put together.

I resolve to live vicariously through you and your wife vicariously, because there's no conceivable way that one of those will ever fall into my clutches within the forseeable future. :3:

MY WIFE says that the build quality isn't bad - it feels more solid than the '07 ex250 she'd been riding, and we can't imagine the ex250 being in comparable condition after 18 years.

Also, I have a friend who's just restored an RVF-400 - it ticks all the exotic boxes; V4, single sided swingarm, breaks down all the time... I'll try to get some pics for the images thread.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Simkin posted:

What are the prices like on those bikes, generally speaking? I pawed through a bunch of Japanese auctions, and they all seemed to range between $1200-3000, but that was before any importation costs were taken into consideration.

Around $1500-2700 USD after import here. NZ has a pretty strong 2nd hand Jap import market.

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

The prototype:

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

The final result:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I found a babied K8 with ~2200 miles on it, yay. Comparison to my '08 R6:

The good -
    * Comfier
    * Less aggressive, easier to just cruise
    * Gear position indicator
    * Different engine maps are a cute gimmick
    * Adjustable footpegs are great
    * Lovely torque
    * The Yoshimura slip-ons sound great

The bad -
    * Less exciting on the street
    * The footpegs (while adjustable) are poo poo
    * You have to choose between seeing the clock and a trip meter wtf
    * Insurance

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

lancemantis posted:

1000K8 I'm guessing then?

Well, yes. When you fall off a horse a real man doesn't just get back on, he first finds a bigger, scarier horse!

e: a real stupid man

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

Christobevii3 posted:

Singler cylinder motorcycles, the only step up from a magic wand for women...
:goonsay:

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

auruspex posted:

niethan posted:

drat, girl! You got some nice titties, what are they? D Cup?
Back to lurking I go :(

Well you are pretty goony, but niethan's posting in SAS and W&W could be symptomatic of body image insecurity so picking on could just be a way to (briefly) let him ignore his own self-loathing. He wasn't picking on you, he was picking on himself by proxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Why is the kickstand down if it's on a ... rolley stand ... thing(the gently caress are those called?)?

Paddock stand. It makes it easier when you're taking it off the stand by yourself.