Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Boo! Thread does not deliver on modem crushing experience. Would not buy again from OP. :P

My current daily driver:

It's a 2002 Kawasaki ZR-7S :confused: Yeah, it apparently didn't set the world on fire in terms of sales, what with it having an air cooled, 750cc carb'd engine. Still, I love it, and it was a screaming deal when I bought it about 4 months back with only 22,000km on the clock. I've put on nearly 8000km since then, and it's been dead reliable. Since that picture was taken, I've swapped to a set of Metzler Z6 tyres, EBC HH pads all around, a Leo Vince exhaust, and am trying to work up the resolve to install a set of Wilber progressive springs (that are currently sitting on my shelf). It may not be retardedly powerful, or terribly light - it weighs ~200kg or so - but I'm usually able to keep up with most sport bike riders on anything other than a freeway, and that makes me happy. Plus, it's comfortable riding two-up, and for longer trips - something my friends with SS bikes certainly can't brag about.

The training tool:

A 2007 Honda CBR125R. It's actually my ex's bike, but I store it here, and novice motorcycle restrictions mean that if she wants to go for a ride, she needs a lisenced rider following her. It also happens to be the most retarded amount of fun on twisty back roads. I got a deal on a matched pair of Michelin Pilot Race tyres, which were meant to go on the next bike (below), but the front was too narrow (110 vs 120). Rather than passing up a deal, I did some research and found that a 110 tyre is actually used in the CBR125R spec racing series, so I had it mounted up. The only method of driving that bike fast, is to never, ever let off the throttle. If you run into too much of an incline, downshift, if the corner is too tight, lean further. :D I was laughing uncontrollably after doing a back road run, where I managed to never let the little bugger drop below 80kph. Also, it is suitable for carrying a pillion, provided there are no large hills.

My first bike:

A 1984 Yamaha FJ600. First bike, first lowside, first complete teardown and reassembly. First realization that one should not try to learn mechanical fundamentals on a vehicle that one either really needs, or really cares about. Sold it on for about 1/3 of what I paid for it. I MISS IT SO MUCH IT HURTS. :emo:

My race biek:

A 2002 Squidzuki GSX-ARRR 600. It was someone else's track slut before I bought it, and it's the first 600SS I've ever owned. Since it's not insurable, I'd only had a little experience with it before my first practice session. :aaaaa: Because of that experience, I am an ardent supporter of the "No new rider should EVER get a 600SS as a first bike" doctrine. I also match too well with my bike, fashion wise.

Aaaaand another bike:

A 1977 Yamaha RD400. I bought it for my dad this Christmas to try to get him back into motorcycling after a nearly 30 year hiatus - once he had kids, he sold his bike (a 1975 RD350). My mission was entirely successful, and now my dad's riding around on a shiny new (well, nearly new) DL650. I am now trying to sell this for him, as he doesn't really have the time or space to have more than one bike. In the meantime, I'm also fixing the brakes on the bike, and waking it up every once in a while to kill any errant mosquitoes and/or wake the dead. I really, really wish I could keep it, but space and finances say otherwise. :(

The last bike that's (for the moment) cluttering up making my driveway the mecca of awesome:

It's a 1985 Honda VF500F - the babyceptor :blush: I conned one friend into picking it up as a project for me, fixed the gimpy petcock, and am now selling it on to another friend, where it will serve as his first bike. It's ridiculously over-complicated, with fun things like fuel pumps, pneumatic suspension, hydraulic clutch, anti-dive front suspension, and so on. However, it does look pretty cool, and only the 500 has the sweet whale tail rear end - the 700/750 just has the usual 80s design of a squared off rear tail section.

So umm... I have perhaps more bikes at my house than is healthy, and certainly more than my roommates are terribly happy with, but they are somewhat assuaged by the fact that only two of them have any long term plans at sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

predictive posted:

:words:

Seconding the sentiment of "goddamnit I need to buy this bike as soon as I get rid of some toys." I was already sold on looks alone, now I just need to con someone into letting me take it for a test drive - maybe I can bribe/threaten/coerce a local dealer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

French Canadian posted:

The centerstand was dragging on left turns when I pushed it. The peg feelers got ground down a bit, too. Still no knee-dragging, either =[

It looks like you're still trying to keep yourself centered on the bike too much. It does look like you have your lower half off the bike - that's good - but you also need to be looking past where your wing mirror would be. Also, if all else fails, just go faster - I found that the reason I was having such trouble touching down my knee pucks was that I was going too slow to warrant being that far off the bike.

Hey, where the hell is Sigtrap's biek? :colbert: Didn't he say he was getting into motorcycles?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

The thing is, you're leaning further off the bike so that you can keep your bike more upright at the same speed. Holding your upper body further into the lean will definitely help you get your knee down. Your head is heavy and because it's so high up it has more leverage - leaning your 20lb noggin further out will have much more effect than shuffling your 40lb rear end off the seat.

Also, from the looks of the first pic, your feet aren't set properly on the pegs. Try keeping just the pad of your foot on the peg, with your big toes as tight to the bike as you can get them. Riding pigeon-toed is good for comfort, but not for bike control, and it should help you keep your knee against the tank as well (at least then knee on the top side when you're leaned over).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ Well, it does look like you were riding on a corded rear tyre, that might be part of your problems...

Public Lair: I have the same engine (well, except that mine's 738cc rather than 550) in my ZR-7S. All I have to say is: have fun adjusting the valves. :argh: Who puts the loving shims UNDER the buckets?

Also, to the last two Ducati posters: Pleeeeease post sound/video clips if you have them, as those are always fantastic sounding bikes, that I never have enough chance to hear around these parts.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Malpenix Blonia posted:

[*]Valve adjustment (apparently every 600 miles)

I seriously doubt it's every 600 miles. The recommended interval that I've seen on the few bikes I've owned have both been 10,000km, so maybe you missed a zero?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Its a very small bike, in person. RD's are based off of Yamahas TZ Grand Prix racer, so you have to be a 120lb Japanese guy to really "fit" on one.

I kind of figured that was the case, as whenever I ride on the RD400, it feels like I'm seated on top of the bike, riding it like one would an especially temperamental pony. An uncivilized, little brute, that kicked at you any time you came near its pen, and darted from side to side as fast as its foul mood dictated. It's not the sort of thing that you can ride and not cackle out loud while doing so.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

TheTrend posted:

you don't roll with honda much do you?

I've got a CBR125 and a VF500 sitting in my driveway that say otherwise. *shrug*

Adjusting the valves on the VF500 was sooooo much loving easier, since they are done via adjustment screws, so you never (in theory) need to add or remove any hardware from your bike. I say, in theory, because somehow those little fuckers got up and walked away of their own free will. :iiam:

Yeah, about the only thing I'm lacking right now are non-Japanese bikes. I guess if you were pedantic about it, the 125 could be considered Thai :laugh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Has anyone else that's installed Galfer SS lines noticed the bolts rusting? I though they'd use stainless on the fasteners as well, but either the bolt is rusting, or the copper washers are melting :confused:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

2/3 of the hex bolts on my front lines are showing signs of rust, and 1/4 of the banjo bolts likewise. It would seem almost like they shifted to using plated steel instead of SS fasteners. Would the SS compound used (if it were actually stainless) be ferrous or non?

I'm thinking of just priming/painting the whole mess, as I don't feel like shelling out for new fasteners all around, and chances are, I'd have a pain in the rear end getting anything back from the company. :canada:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sick_Nukes posted:

Is it wrong that I think the headlight setup on that looks like complete rear end? The rest looks great, but those headlights look like some hackjob aftermarket kit that you see people throwing onto ratty old flat black painted "streetfighter" rebuilt sportbikes.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

MetalClawWolf posted:

Is it physically possible to ride that bike without either wheelieing on straight bits or luridly sliding corners? Can you hide a week's supply of water in that chimney? Does a front fender that high off the wheel actually prevent any crap from flying up and hitting you in the face?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

Also, how many bikes is too many? :smith:

*shrug* All I know is that the number is at least equal to or greater than 5, as I was quite happy having that number around the house.

That CX is in waaaay nicer shape than I'm used to seeing them around these parts. Are you planning on adding any of the touring fairings on, or keeping it naked?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I just bought the CBR600RR on the left on Friday, and a while ago I put that Leo Vince full system exhaust on my SV650S.

That's a nice, legit looking setup for the plate on your SV... ;)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

sigtrap posted:

I'm in SE Washington, discovering some pretty awesome roads around here.

As well as some pretty suicidal deer :/

That's a pretty drat nice birthday present. If you ever feel the need to stretch your bike's legs and hop the border into BC, let me know, and I'll help spot some good roads - and a beer or accomodation - for you.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Angus posted:

:rodimus:

The only time those are found in the wild here are as grey imports from Oz/Japan - they were never sold new here. Any 250s/400s were (apart from older UJMs) generally just twins, none of that fancy I4 small displacement, 20,000rpm shenanigans that you guys got. :smith:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

If anyone is expecting a second-hand beginner bike to not have any crash damage, they are either delusional, or buying a new bike.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

^^ I don't suppose you have any sound clips? Those big V-twin sportbikes always sound loving otherworldly, although there seems to be part of the noise that speakers alone can't convey.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Wooo! New biek to add to the stable:

1988 Honda CB450S. I've found pretty much zero information on it, other than the usual bikespecs page stating that at time of sale, it would have had a face-ripping learner friendly 44hp. It's got ~66,000km on the clock, but starts and runs like a charm. The only issue so far was a set of criminally underinflated tyres - they were both around 100kpa, when they were supposed to be at 225/250 respectively. I think I have something verging on an obsession with air-cooled motorcycles, as the only water cooled one I have at the moment is the gixxer, and that doesn't see any street use.

WHY DO I LOVE AIR COOLED BIKES SO MUCH? :iiam:

Also, I think this is another one of those bikes that Canada got, but was denied to the US, although I could be wrong on that. If anyone has more info on it, I'd love to know.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Does the weird rotor setup on that make it any more difficult to change pads/rotors?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Spiffness posted:

No helmet? Check
No gear? Check
iPod? Check

God that's a lot of freedom goin on right there.

I'm jealous of your front yard decorations.

Too much freedom for me. :canada:

I mean, I won't loving ride my push bike without a helmet on, so... Seeing that there are places where people willing choose to not wear helmets is just ... :wtc:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The government still allows me to vote with the 3/5ths brain capacity I still have after my first accident on my Ultraglide.

gently caress you pinko terrorists.

So wait... You can vote, if you're legally retarded, but they can't execute you? Sweet.

I was always under the impression that once you had a kid, you were supposed to ... become the safest, most boring person in the world - or at least curtail stupid risks. I mean, when you take your daughter out for a spin on your bike, are you going to let her ride without a helmet? No, I didn't think so. But you're going to be in the saddle for far more time then her, and if you die, due to preventable head trauma, well, I guess she'll have to just learn the facts of life at an early age. :suicide:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Gnomad posted:

The first time you hear the noise your helmet makes as it scrapes across the pavement with your head in it is the day you'll figure out the gear is worth it.

Funny, that was the exact same time that I though - OH gently caress, I've just toasted a $500 helmet. :smith:

Afterwards, of course, I was happy that I'd had an expensive lid, as anything cheaper would have meant much, much worse whiplash, but still... :downs:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

mikeyio posted:

And yes, they sound just as awesome as they look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q21_fJqPCOA
Gorgeous bike RPM.

Oh god, oh god.... :flashfap:

Someday, after I've sorted out this whole not being a poor rear end student thing, I will own a Ducati, and it will be loud enough to wake my parents in the morning, when I fire it up - no mean feat, considering they live 30km away. :v:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I've always loved the look of the 599/Hornet/919. I do wish that they'd imported the CB400 of the same era to NA, but I'm probably alone in that - >400cc just happens to be one of the cheaper insurance brackets, and there's very, very few modern bikes that fall into that, that aren't either cruisers, dedicated newb bikes, or dirt/dual sports.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Zool posted:

Wiplash is neck injury, the only effect the helmet has on it is it's weight. Lighter is better.

I was sort of indirectly saying that, as generally the more expensive lids are made of lighter materials, like fiberglass or CF, rather than being heavy polycarbonate beasts like most entry level helmets.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ermm...... Keep it safe? Jebus, that's a giant loving leap for mankind, going from a 125 to .... that. You've got nearly 10x as much hp, with about only an extra 50kg to cart around. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Also, goddamn that stock muffler looks like boiled rear end. Have you already sawzalled your fender off, or is that factory?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Love my trusty CBR125 (I really need a pair of boots)

Cannot wait for something bigger though, thinking maybe a CBR400/VFR400 or CB 500.

Love the look of the 400 cbr's, not that easy to find here in the uk though.

You should be able to find a CB400 easily enough, though, unless that was only sold to Japan/Asia. I rode a CBR125 for a few weeks in the summer, while I was doing a valve adjustment on my Kawi. Here's a pic of me wrenching on it - just taking the front fairing apart for amusement (checking the rad).

I'm 190cm, and oddly enough, my legs fit the tank cutouts better than they did on my GS500. Sure, the suspension didn't exactly love having ~100kg of me+kit, and I couldn't really out-accelerate traffic, but it was pretty goddamn fun.

I replaced the lovely OE rubber in the rear, with a 110 front tyre from a matched set of racing Michelins (the front wouldn't fit on my Suzuki, and it was too good a deal to pass up, so...). Just pick your favourite back road, and see if you can run the entire thing at WOT - that's about the only bike that I'd ever consider doing it on, and it's actually hilariously entertaining to do so.

If you're considering a better set of rubber for your 125, see if you can find some decent sport touring rubber in either 100 or 110. It's a little extra weight, but it will be a pretty dramatic improvement over stock handling. I do have to wonder how much difference a more aggressive front brake pad would be, because that was something that I would have changed, had that bike stuck around.

Fake edit: Oh, and the suspension too. :v:

Edit: to the people with FE kits, like civilian.d, do you just not ride it in the rain? :confused:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 5, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sure, but the fender's also there so that you're less of a dick to people following, no?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Because they hate you, and think that you are a terrible person. It's really all your fault. Sorry.

Afaik, the smaller displacement sport bikes are usually only sold to regions where there is graduated licensing, such that beginners would be limited to Xcc displacement or hp. Selling a restricted full size bike does happen, but these fit the bill without any modification.

I really wish they'd just loving sell them here as well, as I think a 250 or 400cc from any of the major Japanese manufacturers would do quite well. Currently the only one in the 250 range is the Ninja, and it sold like it was the second coming of Christ. If a 400cc sport bike was sold, it would fit perfectly in the 110cc-400cc insurance bracket in my area, and I don't think there's any conceivable reason that I would not pick one up.

People have been selling grey import 250 and 400cc sport bikes around here, like CBR250s, 400s, ZXR250s, GSX-R400s, etc, but the only 400 sport bike sold in NA was the FZR-400. The nice thing is, the FZR-600 engine is an (apparently) easy swap into the bike, so once you pass inspection :ssj:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_fzr400r%2089.htm

teh internets posted:

ZXR400 vs VFR400R3-M vs FZR400RR

IT TIME. Time to thrash away the cobwebs; time to overtake squad cars and get drunk. Time to wake up and do it again. Oh, and I nearly forgot: time to scare myself silly.

But I didn't this year, did I? I rode a ZXR400 and an FZR400RRSP, the spearhead of a new 400cc class whose nose is pressed unjustly hard against a wall of market prejudice. Do yourself a favour, sell-up, move out, do whatever it takes...but buy one. Here's why.

Riding both, but preferably the Yam OWOM, re-defined my weedy TT-riding parameters. On paper or motorways their 60bhp are blown away by virtually everything modern and sporty. On asphalt they are the wildest one-finger vehicles since the 350LC. What's more, they're boring four-strokes.

While many he-man bikes are blighted by throttles that stay resolutely off the stops and chassis needing above average skill when not, the little 400s get abused. They don't know the meaning of 'feathered throttle' and while you're busy abusing, you're also going in deeper, leaning further, whacking the throttle earlier. You are, just like old times, an equal partner in the bike-rider relationship.

Opening the throttle in the top three gears produces a bad-tempered growl akin to the 750, and little else. At 7000rpm it sounds interested but merely moves into a rough patch. lOOOrpm later it's clear and at your disposal. Compared to the FZR's amazing midrange it's as flat as a fart. Taken in isolation it's well-useable.

Power only begins to climb seriously when the tacho is flying through the 11,500 take-off zone and heading rapidly for the 14,000 rev-limiter. The noise experience is total — pained but the best. Initially I changed up too early, I couldn't believe it could wail so without blowing up. Soon after I was addicted. This 400cc interpretation of ZXR performance is safe, fun, unintimidating and intense.

It also made the FZR's EXUP-boosted engine feel less special than last year. After the brash Kawasaki its equally oversquare thrash-unit came across as a hair-dryer. The Yam's tall first gear isn't really a problem. Carburation is so spot-on, the engine so torquey that the incongruously heavy clutch needs little slipping. The engine, though, you just wind up and you're used to it. From 30mph in sixth? No problem.

If it has a rev-limiter I couldn't find it. The redline's at 14,000, peak power at 12,200 but it's still accelerating steadily at 15,500. There's no rush as per the ZXR due is part to marginally less power, but mainly to the Yamaha's better spread. The whirring EXUP makes gearchanges less critical — mostly you just hold the throttle open and steer around anything that gets in your way. Occasionally you have to brake.

Goddamnit, I hate you for even making me think about the lack of 400s. I want one so very, very badly. :cry:

Simkin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 7, 2008

Simkin
May 18, 2007

As per the posted links, they were all roughly around 60hp and 155-160kg (wet).

Modern 600cc supersports are actually pretty close to that weight, albeit minus fluids :v:

An '89 ZXR-250 is listed as having ~45hp and 141kg. Not too shabby, considering it was an I4 and not just a twin.

CBR250 - with a police escort :v:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDzb3aqWmxQ&feature=related

Twisty stuff is way more fun on a small displacement bike.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQUlaHaml7Q

gently caress. That's it, next year, I'm going to sell a kidney and buy myself a grey market 250 or 400. :rodimus:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That's a nice looking little biek. It looks to be in pretty nice condition, considering it'd be what, a 1992 model or thereabouts? What's it like to ride in anger, compared to the EX250 - since that's about the closest point of reference I have?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Looks like it bogs at anything under about 5k. Here's some guy just tooling around town, with a pretty good view of the tachometer - it looks like sop is 7-10k rpm just for commuting, which puts it about halfway up the rev range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkDYi67bHE0&feature=related

I remember running across something about one of the 250s (can't remember whether it was the GSX-R or Honda) that while it did have a redline of 21k rpm, couldn't regularly do that without lunching bits of the valvetrain. I could just be smoking something, though.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Other than the key being ... umm ... sloppy :shlick: how is the build quality? I'd imagine they're screwed together a fair bit better than the EX250. I mean, not that there's anything inherently wrong with the build quality on an EX250/500, but there's definitely an air of getting what you pay for, that's evident in all of the components and how they're put together.

I resolve to live vicariously through you and your wife vicariously, because there's no conceivable way that one of those will ever fall into my clutches within the forseeable future. :3:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Thanks Bird-o-matic, you're the best. :glomp:

What are the prices like on those bikes, generally speaking? I pawed through a bunch of Japanese auctions, and they all seemed to range between $1200-3000, but that was before any importation costs were taken into consideration.

GriszledMelkaba: Move to Canada, and share in the glory that is a rolling 15yr exemption on importing any vehicle.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/mcy/933229576.html

:rodimus:

I don't think that the FZR400 was ever sold to the states, but it was sold to Canada, and it looks reasonably close to the 600. You might be able to convince them that it's the larger model, although that might also take a bit of bribery...

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Tiglath III posted:

That's a goddamn nice little bike. Every time someone posts a nice >500cc sport bike on here, I curse the NA market for never wholeheartedly embracing (or legislating) such bikes.

:love: dual s/s round headlights.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Silver posted:

Know how I know you're gay?

Because you're notorious for kissing and telling?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Jack, Honda's got you covered. Well, sorta.

Click here for more redness.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Wow. How did you kill a GS500? IED? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, that's some nice looking metal you have there. Any videos yet?