Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Skipping over the boring bikes I've owned...

ZX-6E: Rode it for almost 50k, 2 engines, 2 accidents (one highside and one lowside), took it to the track, beat the poo poo out of it, parted it out. My 2nd bike.

Bone stock with gutted exhausts.
From my first track day...right before the explosion of engine one. :3:

02 SV650, bought with 135,000 miles on it, toasted the transmission at 140,000 miles. Parted it because I had no money for a new engine :( Mods were: GSX-R fairings, ZX6R front end, Ohlins shock, Yoshimura RS3 full system.

CBR 929...bought at 35k, sold at 49.8k. Who would buy a sportbike with 50,000 miles on it? It had never been down, and I'm pretty sure it's now a wreck :(

Wave rotors, crg levers, PC3, 2 brothers slip on, revalved and resprung. Went to the track on it once, and it showed me how hard it is to ride a literbike fast.

Current bikes in the garage are...

1975 Honda CB200.

In dire need of a restoration, hopefully we'll get to it this winter. Mods are: Blown suspension, mismatched tires, and pipes off of some random bike. It's a loaner that gets passed around my group of friends when someone wants to learn how to ride. Possibly the most forgiving bike ever, and I take it to work when i feel like talking bikes with every random stranger on the street. Puts a smile on people's faces like no other.

1998 Triumph Daytona T595...for sale (3300$).

Converted to a speed triple, High mount exhaust, heated grips, corbin, pro taper bars. I've had it for almost 10k now...awesome bike, but no place for it in my garage anymore. Amazing city bike, but not so great for distance. Pretty badass in the twisties if you like riding old school style up on top of the bike.

00 SV650, track bike. Penske back shock, GSX-R750 front end with brembo MC and calipers/yoyodyne relocator plates, Ohlins steering damper, CFM rearsets + rearset riser plates, M4 exhaust, Vapor gauges and lap timer.

Eventually it'll get the cam mod, flatslides, and be a dedicated racebike...needs a lower and when I finish the NRS I'll get my number plates sorted.

Absolutely my favorite picture of the SV at Thunderhill:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

detoxx posted:

I expected to see a few more Harley's. Nice bikes all around though.

I had an '04 Harley Fatboy until my son was born in 06. I panicked and sold it. I need to get another one I guess. :)

I love riding my friend's harley, but they're just too god drat expensive for what they are.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is that a Helimot suit? Bay area rider?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I expected way more SV650s. Do they have a thread of their own?

Nah, we're like the RADL...vocal minority.

And in fairness, there are like, 8 sv's represented here...and a few former owners.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

That's what my friend told me after he followed me on the track for a bit. I should lean the upper part of my body off the bike more, although I'm not sure if this will get my knee down farther. It felt better after I followed his advice, as well. But after a few hard bits scraped the ground, I became leery of leaning any farther. My crappy stock tires did have about a 1/4 inch of lean left on them, so next time out, when I come prepared with new rearsets and removed centerstand, it should be easier.

Firstly, are you on the gas when hard parts are scraping the ground? If you're not, you need to get on maintenence throttle. It's essential to riding the track, read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2, which explains it detail.

Secondly, you have the lean angle to drag knee, just not the body positioning. You're rotating your hips around the gas cap, rather then keeping them perpendicular to the line of the bike and moving sideways off the bike. If you cross up your shoulders so that your inside shoulder is facing forward, you're not going to drag knee until you're absurdly cranked over. If you square up your shoulders and move sideways off the bike you'll drag knee basically immediately. What you're doing is rotating your hips around the bike and sticking your knee more forward, rather than more out. You want your hips to be perpendicular to the line of the wheels, not parallel, and you'll be dragging knee in no time.

With that said, dragging knee has absolutely nothing to do with how fast you're going, it just looks cool and is a nice judge of lean angle, plus gives you a trick to save slides. Most of the time, though, they come back on their own anyways, it's a rare slide that is truly saved on the puck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

tokin posted:

I've ridden a 250 a bit the suspension on it cannot be confidence inspiring. At the lean angles required to drag knee I can almost guarantee you're bottoming out the suspension if you weigh anything more then 90lbs.

He has the lean angle to drag knee in that picture, it's a matter of body positioning. Also, judging from his proportions on the bike, he'd be alright weight wise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

webwench posted:

I'd say it's common, the boxer engines especially have that reputation for longevity, as long as they're maintained reasonably. I'd recommend it.

I find it ironic that BMW has this reputation, considering that most motorcycles will easily rack up that sort of distance when maintained correctly. It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis. I had a SV650, which is well know for being a "budget bike", that had 135k on it, when I got it. It had been tracked and raced regularly for a good part of that as well. Transmission went at 140k. It was well maintained, and the engine itself was still fine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

^^ Well, it does look like you were riding on a corded rear tyre, that might be part of your problems...

Jesus holy christ, replace that loving tire. Now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Malpenix Blonia posted:

I want to believe that the interval is longer, but so far my only source for any information at all is this table in the Clymer manual:

Click here for the full 800x1153 image.

Wtf? I'd be inclined to think that that's a misprint...but can't hurt to check them every 600 miles until you figure out how far they go out between checks. :haw:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheTrend posted:

you don't roll with honda much do you?

Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha...:v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

Is it wrong that I think the headlight setup on that looks like complete rear end? The rest looks great, but those headlights look like some hackjob aftermarket kit that you see people throwing onto ratty old flat black painted "streetfighter" rebuilt sportbikes.

Took a long time for that look to grow on me...but I kind of dig it now. It does look a little more reasonable on the Speed Triples, which are a bit bigger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

bung posted:

Aren't the "street fighters" copying the Speed Triple and not vice versa? I had never seen the dual light setup until I had seen the Speed Triple many years ago.

Neg, streetfighters way predate the S3. It was the hot setup on the old school GSX-R1100s/etc back when people first realized that replacing plastics sucks. Those streetfighters inspired Bloor who then made the S3s.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

From roughly 80 to 120hp... that's a big difference :-)

No way you're pushing 120 on a modern 600. Maybe 110 on a really nice one, with a good aftermarket pipe, and tuning.

The difference that is biggest, IMO, is losing almost 100 pounds of weight, as well as 15 years of suspension/frame development.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

He said he had a 1991 CBR, which is about 100 at the motor and 80 at the wheel. A big jump up from the original CBR600 Hurricane which only made 80 at the motor.

Sorry, I have a hard time reconciling "theoretical engine HP" for the same reason that I have an issue with "theoretical dry weight without tires, brake pads, oil, or coolant". What does it do when you twist the throttle, not when it's sitting on an engine stand. ;)

And I was a little confused there because, as you mention, the first number seemed to reflect rwhp pand the second one seemed to reflect engine hp. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

How experienced of a rider are you? I'm curious as to how and when the ABS engages, but I don't want to tell you to go out and pull stoppies and try and lock the front if you're not comfortable with it :)

Congrats on the bike, and I hope that my next streetbike can have ABS too. It's awesome for street riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

This is only my second bike, been riding for two and a half years. Ive never had to emergency brake besides practicing, i will work up to testing the ABS on this when im comfortable with this bike. One of the guys at the dealership has a new SV1000 with ABS and he loves it. Once he learnt to grab a fistful and not worry, it stops perfectly.

From his description and whats in the owners manual, there is a sensor on the front wheel that engages once you go over 5km/hr for the first time. After that it monitors wheel revolutions, if the wheel stops suddenly under brakes the ABS kicks in an pulses the brakes. Dealership guy said he can brake as hard as possible and it never locks.

Hopefully that'd be the case, yeah ;)

I still wouldn't want to grab a fistfull of brake on any bike, just because it's a bad habit, but it's good that it works relatively unobstrusively. I'd be curious to see what you think the first time it engages :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Aventari, we'll have to hit up a trackday at some point :)

Sigtrap, happy birthday and congrats! Whadya think of it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sigtrap posted:

I've ridden a grand total of like 5 motorcycles ever, so i don't have much to compare against, but I love it. It's plenty quick, smooth for a twin, and I feel a ton more confident on it than I did on my old Yamaha. It has features on it I never would have gone out of my way to get (fuel meter / economy gauge, tire pressure sensors, heated grips) but I guess they may be nice to have.

ABS?

Those tire pressure sensors could save your rear end in the future. I've gotten lucky and never had a flat, but a friend of mine picked up a razorblade on his Concours 14 and the tire gauge warned him with enough time to get to the shoulder before it went completely to poo poo.

And you have no idea how good heated grips are until you've ridden a bike through the cold at night, hunched over the tank with your hands shoved up against the engine to keep them warm, speeding up and slowing down so you can warm up your right hand. :v: I kicked myself about 40 times after installing my first set of heated grips for not doing it years ago.

Maybe if you ever make it back down this way we can go for a ride sometime...I'd love to see one of those up close :) And the single sided swingarm and rims are sweet. Never actually looked at them closely before...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i don't have to slow down cause my throttle doesn't spring shut :c00l:

BMW cruise control...:rolleyes:

:v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

edit: gently caress, wrong thread. sorry.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 29, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

hoho`win posted:

I turn the ignition on, a tried the electric start. Nothing happened. I noticed the headlight, taillight, and neutral light were incredibly dim, and the horn wouldn't work. I then tried several times to kick start the bike, it wasn't locked, but wouldn't start. I checked the battery and after charging it to 12v, the bike started fine. But while it was running the battery was near 11v. This is about all the info I have. Any advice, however general, would be greatly appreciated.

Was it at 11v while idling? Rev it up to around 4k or so and you should be getting about 13-14v at the battery. If it's higher or lower than that, you have a problem.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

aventari posted:

I had a 250 for 10k miles and for the money you spend to make it faster, just buy a better bike.

I can't think of a reason to mod out a 250 unless it's specifically for a race series.

That said, it's great for what it is and is the perfect first bike. I'm really glad my first bike was a Ninja 250.

Agreed. 250s are scary in any track group but the C group because of the closing speeds. It can be bad on a SV when I'm passed by a literbike 2/3rds of the way down the front straight doing 110 and they're doing 150, but a 250 doing 85 as they come by at 150, it's loving absurd. I pass 250s on the straight like they're parked and the higher HP bikes do the same to me...

Fine in the C group though. For B/A group riding, you need either a 600 or a 650, at the very least, and if you ride a 650, prepare to get smoked on the straights and held up in the corners until you learn to pass with absolutely no mercy.

Fantastic starter bikes, good for getting your feet wet, poo poo for any real track riding but 250 class racing.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

The perspective on that thing is really weirding me out.

There's more than that that is weirding me out...the artist obviously doesn't understand the functional parts of motorcycles, or there wouldn't be what looks like a remote reservior on the tail section that simply can't connect to the shock, there would be lights that would actually light up the road in front of you, not at your feet, the shift linkage would be connected to something, there would be a front sprocket, the rear engine mount wouldn't pass through the shock, etc.

Also, the frame doesn't really...make sense, and there's a huge block of black where the radiator and front of the engine should be. What the hell?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Hahaha that's hideous.

Not to mention the huge swingarm despite the fact that there's a ton of space where actual bike components should be. Time to hit the dragstrip...of my imagination!

edit: maybe it's not that big but man does it look wrong. Like it's upside down or something...

Looks like an extra curvy version of the honda 900rr swingarm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Duuk posted:

You know, while I wouldn't want to buy that thing, I really believe that as an artistic impression it is not that bad - I mean, if someone wants to (And is capable of) building a project bike they will take the engine and most details off an existing bike. Drawing a motorized steed of one's Dreams is a thing of emotion and as such beyond my criticism.

As a project, it is horrible and with serious design flaws. As a vision, a concept, it is something that could perhaps be refined into something both functional and pretty to the eyes of its owner.

(Yes, I have drawn my own vision of a Superior Motorbike but I have no intention of posting it.)

I would agree, minus the whole "immune to criticism" thing. I mean, come on: That bike would be hardly capable of getting out of it's own way with with a single wedged in there, and there are things about it that simply don't make sense. Art is good and fine, but you can't expect to build something true to form if you can't be bothered to make sure that some basics are taken care of, like your chain actually, you know, transmits drive power to the rear wheel and stuff.

If you want an artsy bike, that's good and fine, but if you expect to build something, you better take some time with a shopping list of dimensions and make sure that it's physically possible to build something.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FunkyJunk posted:

I've always found the FZR to be a bit primitive. I'd say reduce your choices to the EN-6r or ZX6r. They're different enough that the final decision should lie in what you want to do with them. The EN will be a better "do it all" bike and will be more comfortable, while the ZX6R will be a better sportbike, probably with better suspension, brakes, etc.

There's a new FZR coming out. Or maybe he was refering to the FZ6?

I'd take the FZ6 or the EN-6r. Sportbikes are great for posing, but poo poo for daily driving after you get over how awesome they are.

ZZR600 if you want people to think you have a sportbike but still ride in (some) comfort.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ari.gato posted:

Yeah I was referring to the FZ6, but wha-wha-wha?! New FZR? I love the way the original 89-93's looked. Anyone know of any pics or info?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modeloverview/cat/2009/58/model_overview.aspx

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

null0ne posted:

Finally got some pictures of my bike.
Aw yeah, suckas.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Those are such gorgeous bikes...especially in the full fairing setup. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

varl posted:

Ok I have to post about this.

This Wednesday I received a call. This call was concerning a mint condition Honda VTR 1000 SP2 -2005. My dream.

He asked me if I wanted to buy it, but it's a bit on the expensive side. He asked me if I wanted him to hold it for me while I thought it over. I told him "No".

I said "No." because I didn't need to think it over, I bought the drat thing right then and there. No regret and no remorse.

For you know what? It's a loving RC51, and it's one of out the 20 available in this country. And it's now mine. Mine mine mine. I'm going to take it for a testdrive tomorrow. Jesus, I can't believe it!

By the by, does anyone want to buy a Suzuki GSX-R 750 with an 1100R engine fitted? :)
If not I'll build the most insane icebike ever from it with my brother.

I have a perma-grin on my face.

Congrats, post loving pics already!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice pics...you need to get out to a trackday if you haven't already :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SqueekyD posted:

:D

Hoping to get out to my first @ SOW next month.

Good to hear...you've got great form but you can't get away with riding like that on the street for forever.

Once you get out to the track, you'll be addicted. Try and make it to buttonwillow at some point, because the long sweeper out there will absolutely blow your mind, especially if you get the chance to run the track in the reverse configuration. Cornerspeed on the street is one thing, cornerspeed on the track is another world.

Remove your feelers before your trackday, too. When you grind the pegs, lift your weight off the inside leg, to avoid digging them in and levering the back end off the ground. Unless, of course, you're getting rearsets before the trackday :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

Actually it's a third-hand bike. I think I've been the roughest owner its had so far. Rough, but with respect (Vegas track day coming up yessss).

I am trying to find replacement footpegs. I see these and similar here but both specify fitment for model years earlier than mine, which is an '07. My bike is also weird in that they call it a 250R, in that the EX250 designation ended in 2006 but I still share what I think are mostly identical parts. Internet searching is difficult because of this. I will probably call up a local place and maybe they can sort it out, at least. Unless someone here knows that there really is no difference across the board for the most part.

There is no difference across the board. The 08 was the first real revision since they started making them. Either of those footpegs will work. They'd probably work on the new model too.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 12, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jhh posted:

Wear that gear, kids! Bike belongs to a friend of mine, it cost him a week in a coma and multiple broken bones. Now shown: The right side of the tank is crushed from where his thigh hit it.

50mph versus a Honda Accord driving soccer mom who was putting on her makeup instead of stopping for the red light.

Please, for the love of god, tell me the soccer mom got cited, at least. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jhh posted:

From what I understand she was adamant about my friend (and the truck next to him) running a red light and hitting her, however the multiple witnesses said otherwise. The police found it to be her fault.

The driver of the Accord kept on going, and about 600 yards later ran into a tree. No one seems to know why. She hasn't inquired into my friend's well being, or even sent a card or anything.

What the gently caress. Hope your friend recovers quickly, and the rear end in a top hat who ran the red gets reamed for this poo poo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

snail posted:

So yeah, 46 hours left before this gorgeous monster graces my garage. Then it'll be a month of sheer hell before my next available track day.

I rode a GSX-R 1k like that once at the track. It gave me immense, IMMENSE amounts of respect for the men who ride those things quickly. It truly takes a god to hustle one of those around a racetrack.

Congrats, and can't wait to see the pictures :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tentacle Party posted:

Yay new fender eliminator! Just had the first 1000km service, so the bike is going great. I cant wait to be able to use the whole rev range... only 400km to go now!

Click here for the full 1440x810 image.

Have you had the ABS kick in yet? :D

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

I haven't had to change them yet, but it looks like the caliper splits in two halves via allen bolts and the rotor needs a fork to be unbolted at the wheel to be removed. So I guess it's like most bikes except for the rotor being bolted to the wheel? I've only done it on cars at this point.

I'd be more inclined to say that you just undo the 2 caliper bolts, slide it down and off to the inside of the wheel, and change them normally.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

I'm on the bike in front. Yeah, we were speeding, but I only passed on the left in legal passing zones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9EQ2eSZwQ&fmt=6

Make sure you watch the end.

What the hell man.

Also I'm going to see rise against on halloween. Should be pretty entertaining.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Yeah man. They are like fifteen bucks at PetCo and live around 8 years. Best pet ever:

That was a cunning lead in.

And yeah, dude, gear up a little. My g/f lost her dad at 15 and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but at least she was old enough to understand it. Your toddler will be horribly hosed up if you die in a motorcycle accident. My g/f just went through an accident and wouldn't be walking right now if not for her gear. She still got a fair bit messed up, but she's still a walking, talking human being as a result of her gear. Don't do it for you, do it for the little girl that should have a father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

That's a deal on that z1000, congrats. That windshield is hilarious though, reminds me of the guy from kid n play's hair for some reason.

:v:

It came with the stock windshield as well, and a stack of spares and a gas tank that's in better condition. It does a pretty good job of keeping the wind off, though. For some reason, those pictures make it look a lot bigger than it looks in person...