Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Braincloud posted:

Crater Lake, OR heading home on the same trip

I have that same tail bag and one of us is putting it on backwards. It's worked out really well for me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

darknrgy posted:

How is the riding position on the 650 compared to the 500? I'm considering this as my future replacement (not for another year or so but still), but I don't want an uncomfortable riding position because I like really long rides.

The 650 feels like it's making you lean forward slightly more, but I can still sit pretty much straight up on it regardless (5'11"). I actually found the 650 to be much more comfortable, because the seat is better contoured for my skinny rear end that has no natural padding. The seat on the 250/500 is more narrow and puts too much pressure on the inner part of my butt cheeks. Also, the additional power prevents your engine from being so buzzy on the highway.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I don't know if it's a common trend among lots of smaller online retailers, but I'm constantly trying to buy motorcycle things and not being told they don't actually have them (and won't for months) until after they've already taken my money.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

DiZ posted:

Just bought it today, picking it up in a few days, I am totally in love with it!

2006 Kawasaki Z750 with 3500 miles on it. Fender eliminator, Scorpion exhaust, MX bars with end mirrors and in the best colour of all time.

More pictures after I collect it!

Sweet bike broseph. I only wish they made power more similar to their super sport cousins. That orange is p tight, too. Go get an orange CB750 like that photo everyone jacks off over and an orange elise to complete the set :cool:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I made the mistake of buying Icon Field Armor boots and besides being quite uncomfortable, they are the squeakiest crap known to man. They felt like they offered a lot of protection, at least, and were pretty fine to wear when not walking.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

redscare posted:

Your first mistake was even thinking of buying Icon gear of any type

It's overpriced for what it is, but it's really not all that bad in terms of quality. I've definitely seen some lower quality stuff out there. Plus they send me super quality catalogs for free, which is cool.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I've worn mine a poo poo load, walking around campus with a squeak squeak squeak for probably a total of at least 10 miles, but they're still squeaky. You're right about holding up well to crashes, though. Back when I had a 250 I lowsided and the footpeg was crushing my inner ankle, probably would have punctured it if I wasn't wearing boots, or probably seriously injured if I wasn't wearing boots this stiff.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Also completely kills your peripheral vision.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I love the simplicity of those bikes. Also belt drive is awesome.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Also like up your wheels on top of the parallel line on the edge of the box in the ground.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

He meant "hit the starter", as in turn off your engine and then restart it. His suggestion along with mine aren't foolproof but can sometimes help (I've never had any particular luck tripping a wire with fancy tactics that didn't detect just riding over it).

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Crayvex posted:

I've had the pleasure of riding one of those. Those crazy Japanese must have thought that Americans love shifting! (10 fracking gears!!!)

What's the purpose of having so many gears? Are there like 4 extra super tall gears for highway cruising over the standard 6 (or possibly 5 for that era)?

edit: oh I see there's a hi/low for each gear. Still don't really see the point. Are you supposed to shift ten times from first to ten, or can you just do it 5 reasonably smooth?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I've always heard about dry clutch noise, but didn't hear it until a few days ago for the first time. It was a Ducati and it had this terrible rattling noise, especially with the clutch pulled in. Is that the dry clutch noise I'm guessing?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

KARMA! posted:

Why that license plate placement is legal I can never understand.

In Texas anyway, I've heard of guys getting tickets for it. The cop usually uses the excuse that it's obscured when the suspension is compressed. I also remember an second-hand story that a guy got written up for it because it was bent (to fit contour of the wheel).

content, here's a sweet S3 on craigslist I wish I had the cash for right now:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Speaking of Can Ams, I saw a TV ad for those things the other day. It showed a few Can Ams taking on the twisties. The riders stayed perfectly straight up vertical on their trikes. It looked like the most boring thing ever.

I've test ridden one, it was boring. They have electronics to prevent one of the front wheels from coming up in corners, which is definitely a plus, because the thing is so drat unstable when cornering it feels like it will flip over. I'm sure it would without the electronics, if you turned hard enough.

It's a hell of a lot more fun than a slow car, though.

KozmoNaut posted:

I want to see someone do a wheelie on a Can Am.

The rear wheel breaks loose so easily it's likely impossible, though you're probably joking anyway.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah there's definitely a crowd out there they are perfect for, I didn't mean to poo poo on them entirely. They just don't replicate the motorcycle experience much.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

evilnissan posted:

gently caress the haters, I think there neat.

I still want to take one out for a spin just to see how they handle.

They're pretty easy to get test rides on if you show up at a dealership, from what I understand

Gnaghi posted:

Well than adjust your mirrors down and go wheelie the thing!

Edit: I'm retarded.

They'd probably handle much better with front wheel drive

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Looks better than the N650R or the SV650 in my opinion, especially if you put a seat cowl on there. Have fun!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Phy posted:

Would the seat cowl be split down the middle and bolted together like the tail fairing?

Not sure if this was a subtle jab, but it actually makes a whole lot of sense for it to be designed this way. Getting rash on one side doesn't mean the whole thing has to be replaced.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Heat guns work really well for some stickers, maybe a hair dryer would do the trick too.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

cheesebot posted:

True, my girlfriend had a sweet CB750 in Candy Baccus Olive

Please send me her number so I can steal her and her bike away from you.

I'll hopefully be posting in here one of these in a couple weeks if everything goes to plan:

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Mister Duck posted:

I just bought an 09 in blue, I love it. It feels incredibly light underneath you, then again I am coming from a DL650.

I used to have a Ninja 650R for a few years, it was a great bike but perhaps a little underpowered and somewhat ugly. I love the looks of the ER-6N, though, and my plan is to continue saving for a ZX14 or 2010+ Z1000 for a couple years after getting the ER-6n. I have the privilege of paying cash for my bikes, because financing means full coverage insurance, which is upwards of $160/month for me, and closer to $250-300/month for the ZX14.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

shimmy posted:

What's that about the 650r being ugly??
I just got this and I think it's one of the best looking bikes I know of.

Also I don't think it's underpowered. I did expect it to be a minor upgrade from my sedate ER500, but hell no this goes like a rocket. Guess I'm still a newbie. I hope the feeling lasts.

edit: typo

When I was a newbie coming from a Ninja 250, the 650R was, in fact, a rocket ship. "How could I ever want more power than this?" I asked myself. As you will with all bikes (including liter bikes) you get used to the power and wind up thinking "I wish it had more mid-range" or whatever.

Also, when I said ugly, I meant this (ignore the gif part):

The new ones a million times better, though personally not my thing.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Here she is. Brand new Monster 796 and I'm in love. Sorry for the nighttime photo.

yo i'm happy for you and all but personally that looks like poo poo, why did you waste your money on that?

-channeling mootmoot

(It's actually pretty great)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

All I can say about break in procedures after perfectly following whatever the insane requirements are for a Ninja 250 in the first 500 miles: gently caress it

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

kitsunamugen posted:

I won't lie; I did a lot of drinking and crying that weekend.

I think this is the sad saga of most 250s, don't worry about it. I've dropped half the bikes I've owned at some point, several times.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Seller's images:

Picking it up tonight, can't wait for it to dry off outside so I can warp time and space.

Got it for $5k with under 5k miles and great condition. He had the exhaust professionally installed and dyno tuned and supposedly makes 179hp at the rear wheel. It's got brand new Dunlop Q2 tires which are nice, but supposedly suck in the wet (it's wet here half the time).

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 8, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Just had my first long ride on the ZX14. It was a little less comfortable than I was hoping for, but oh well, may as well enjoy it while I'm young and it isn't torture. I can tell I will probably never redline it in any gear perhaps maybe first, but even then only rarely. Top speed limit around here is 55 so doing 90 is pretty bad.

The power isn't wasted, though. I feel like I'm in the powerband at any RPM and any gear. It pulls like crazy even accelerating from 3k RPM. Doing a u-turn was pretty hard in my thick electric gloves because of my fear that I'd pop the clutch out too fast and fall over. I probably just need to adjust the engagement point.

I can tell already I probably won't have this bike more than a year or so, but it's something I've always wanted and there's no time like the present.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Seat and pegs weren't bad, it was mostly the weight on my wrists I didn't like. I could get some risers probably, but last I looked they're several hundred dollars, required cable extensions, and possibly has clearance issues with the windshield. It's a lot of hassle and it doesn't matter a bunch to me.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

My Ninja 650 was pretty drat comfortable bone stock!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Ohms posted:

Thanks man! The tank is clean because I just put it on two days ago, haha. The rear fender has been chopped but now that this new tank is on I can see it needs to be chopped more. Only thing limiting me is that it needs to be long enough to throw my p-pad on from time to time. I know the whole single seat small rear end fender looks cool, but I need to be able to ride around with girls. That's an absolute must.

Sweet ride, the range on a tank that small has got to suck though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I was wrong about probably never redlining it.

You can see Mt. Hood in the center of the horizon in the first pic if you look hard enough. It was much clearer in person.

Found a very long, straight, mostly empty (nearest car was probably half a mile away) highway that I tried a couple hard accelerations on. Didn't quite get the front off the ground in either first or second.

Also, the shape of the fairings funnels cold air directly into my crotch.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 21, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Now you just need a cop to pull you over for driving what is technically a more than three-wheeled vehicle that has a motorcycle registration.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

It will change now that you've said that.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I'm the rusted out WW2 era gas can inches away from a wool blanket.

Great bike! The exhaust wrap looks really well done.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Took a quick trip to a state park in the Portland area today. You guys are probably sick of pictures of my ZX-14 but I'm not. It was wet and cold out like always.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Dual lows, dual highs, and dual running lights. I don't know if the lows are angled down too much or if they just suck, but I can't see as far at night as you would expect. The highs are pretty crazy powerful though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I hope to own a few hundred dollar running bike one day just so I can ride the poo poo out of it and not constantly worrying about dinging it up or it getting stolen.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I have heated gloves and they're pretty good down to freezing temperatures. I have the Tourmaster ones, but I think that the Gerbing ones will get even hotter and are probably good for any temperature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Links don't work for me