Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mutt2jeff posted:

^^^ That thing is nuts, rock on!
yeah dude you should get a bigger fender and hang some trucknutz off the back of that thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
1955 BMW R50 (click)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

I have to ask because I've met a few other BMW owners but is it common to ride these things well past 100k?
i think i've got well over 100k on mine, but i don't know because the odo doesn't go that high.

8ender posted:

Were there any lightweight ones made in eighties - early nineties? Those are all around my price range. I'm a little put off by how heavy they all seem.
i think they started making the f650s (single) in the early or mid 90s. you should be able to find an 80s/90s boxer out there for a tolerable price though. all the awesomest bikers have 80s/90s bmw GSes and aerostich suits and ride in february.

webwench posted:

Me and my R1150GS, only 123,000 miles now ;)
where you been all this time? we need more adv types posting ride reports here.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis.
i wouldn't doubt that. i like bmw riders in general, they seem to take riding more seriously. when i went to the bmw rally in wisconsin last year, (home of harley, no hemlet laws) at the rally nearly every single rider i saw had helmet jacket pants boots and gloves. when i rode away from the rally area, i didn't see more than ONE rider with even a helmet. the whole week i was there. the contrast was pretty stark.

Repo Man posted:

Susanna Hoffs (the lead singer of The Bangles)
wow she's actually hotter now. entertainment industry logic dictates that she ought to look like amy winehouse's corpse by now. how did this happen?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jazzzzz posted:

not pictured is the 04 FJR I had previously that died at the hands of a 19 year old texting while speeding in daddy's 540i
i think i remember that thread. still kinda surprised you're alive.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
do those balloons make it lighter so it corners better

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i've been working on a cb550 for my mom for a little while now. it's a fun little bike to ride (i shouldn't say little, i think it's actually bigger than my bmw) but oh my god i hate loving with the carbs on that thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
now that's a commuter bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

shadow diver posted:

I wrecked the very same day
i want a 748. you better give me yours for its own safety.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

I would wager a big piece of something has lodged itself in the main jet in the carb.
the other day one cylinder on my BMW went out and when i opened up the main jet chamber, i found a little swatch of what looked like the nonpermanent glue they use to stick ads inside magazines plugged right in the end of the main jet. no idea how the hell that got in the fuel system, considering i had previously relined the tank and replaced the fuel lines and totally dismantled and cleaned the carbs several times.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i have one, and it's POR15. i thought that stuff was indestructible.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gnomad posted:

that's not yours on the cover of ON this month is it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

speeding up and slowing down so you can warm up your right hand. :v:
i don't have to slow down cause my throttle doesn't spring shut :c00l:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

French Canadian posted:

but I only weigh 132lbs.

huplescat posted:

I weigh around the same as you

huplescat posted:

I'm nearly 6' tall too
sweet i didn't know grace jones was a goon

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

jhh posted:

Not shown: The right side of the tank is crushed from where his thigh hit it.
i dented a bike tank with my knee last week too! but i didn't get a coma out of it

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Here's my only bike. It's a 2004 honda rebel.
congratulations, i've never found a honda rebel remotely appealing before this, and never thought it would even be possible... but i kinda like it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
daughter really is ready to go ride! she's got all her protective gear on just like daddy!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
that's a big goddamn tank. you gonna get some triumph logos for it? i think it's lacking without them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Legerdemain posted:

Bought this '01 F650GS Dakar
watch out for catastrophic fork failure!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371650

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

AKMOTOGP posted:

Here we go:

wife on 250r (sold now)
is that jacket armored? don't you care about your wife's elbows? you heartless bastard.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nerobro posted:

We saved it from becoming a chopper.
you did a good deed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
got myself another basket case beemer!

1976 R90/6.
here's some of it:

here's some more, on top of some old fashioned heating oil:

here's the cool part:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

Well, it looks like they floated it back. :haw:

Also, where the hell do you find these things?
fall is the best time to find basket cases on craigslist around here. but most of them are just lovely cheapo japanese bikes like kz440s and poo poo. this /6 was the first fixer upper BMW i had seen listed in like 7 months, and the guy said he had a lot of inquiries on it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
oh and look what i found in the parts list for my new /6 :c00l:

but mine didn't come with one of these :argh:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slim Pickens posted:

I also wonder why Ducati continues to stick with desmodromic valves when other bikes have almost twice the redline with spring valves.
since when? don't ducati v2s have a redline near that of i4 engines?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Quick Googling shows the 2009 1198 redlining at 10,500rpm,
that sounds pretty goddamn awesome for two ~600cc pistons. smaller (i4) pistons always rev higher.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Wheelie gone wrong? I hope you're alright!
too much yut and not enough ugh!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

huplescat posted:

Moral of the story is don't drop loving heavy bikes :(
i dropped an old ninja 900 in the bed of my truck when i was unloading it and christ it took me like 30 minutes to get it upright again. if it had fallen off the ramp while backing it out it probably would have killed me. i don't see how crotch rockets have any business being that heavy.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Note: You may want to consider your location before you google for "Skirt lift BMW". :sigh:
that's cause her name is Skert. i've seen her at BMW rallies. she uses that technique to lift road kings and poo poo. she's like 5'4".

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
inspired by nero's stator thread, i thought i'd try to rewire the armature on my R90/6. luckily the stator is ok.

yeah that's bad.

wire's off! about 600 turns. gotta find some new wire now. lots.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

N183CS posted:

hell yes.
guy i know who owns a bmw shop has a bike just about like that and he says it's the best bike he's ever had.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

huplescat posted:

He's not a fan of revving a lot and isn't interested in taking a bike to the track.
sounds like a _____sport bike is not what he really needs then. a twin of some kind would be fine. but i'm sure like most people who want a cbr1000rr, he wants a cbr1000rr because it's a "cbr1000rr". not a lot of arguing you can do with that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

Perhaps you honestly didn't know, but if you hang out in CA long enough you'll find that kind of post and reasoning gets you a shitstorm pretty much guaranteed. It's nothing personal.
yeah this is a major hot button issue here. it is the kirk vs. picard to our trekkies.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

And there are more important things to do than clean it :clint:

you're no ducati owner.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
yeah i woulda said that's much more the type of bike you should have gotten rather than the klr. nice find. yes, do zebra.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
great color scheme.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Becktastic posted:

The stripes reflect white at night.

:hfive:
that is kickass.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

shaitan posted:

I feel your pain, dude.

didn't stop me

man up, bitches!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
girls should love mt ktm 440 2t. thing vibrates like an unbalanced washing machine. but the cylinder is so big that no girl could kick start it! girls lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
guy i know recently replaced an air pump on his boxster that does exactly that. pumps outside air into the exhaust system. sounds a little absurd to me.