Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This was my first bike (barring what I learned on in the course.) Lots of fun, but not so good on the roads out of town.

Oh my! Super Sherpa "Spiderbike" has evolved into KLR650 "Killer"!

This one IS good on the roads out of town. It's also my three-season commuter (I stop when the ice returns.) I don't treat her to as much offroad as she deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Geez, if the Ninja 650 is the official AI bike, the KLR can't be too far behind. Maybe I'm biased though :D

How does the KLR compare to the Ninja 500? When I was starting out I always figured I'd end up on one of those little guys for my first or second bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

phishnut posted:

An '06 Triumph Scrambler (the last and only year they had silver engine blocks). It's not gonna win any races, but man do I smile every time I see it. :)
Man and drat, Bonnies are tasty. I saw more of them in four days in Nova Scotia than I have in four years here. I'm right with you on the love for the classic standard/UJM look, though. It's a real shame Honda pulled the last big Nighthawk and Kawi yanked the ZRX, those were both seriously handsome.

TurboLuvah, is your bike diesel-electric because it looks like a freight locomotive, and I mean that in a good way.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My god, man. Nice bike, I'm sure, but you've made it look so lonely and depressed.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

quote:

square 4
I'd never heard of this until now. Two separate P-twins joined together by gears? That's blasphemy! That's madness!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, you think that's cool, you cats should look up the Yamaha Tenere.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the XR650R isn't street legal out of the box, what's the mechanical difference between that and the 650L? Regardless that's an awesome street conversion. How do the Maxxises do in the dirt?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Are those gigantic intakes there for anything or do they just exist to make it look like a goddamn YF-23?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ein beik
Ein road
Ein hooligan

e: one of my riding buddies has the enduro version and is responsible with it. I don't know what the hell happened there.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or Great Britain!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually really dig the BMW asymmetry.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pics are from previous owner. There are slightly more bugs on it now, and it lives about 50 km further north.

Now to finish off the work on my KLR and sell it!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh hey I didn't mention it but thanks to everyone for suggestions when I was flailing about for advice. This forum is awesome and you guys are awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^That's one I hadn't heard. D'you know what was supposed to have caused it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't really compare it to the first-gen but I thought it was pretty good down gravel/fire roads. Heavy for an offroad bike, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's a little wide for a P-twin, isn't it? Plus check out the crossover exhaust headers. (They are boss.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cabledude posted:

Me on my new Ninja.

Dude. What's it like being Spider-man?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I disagree.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. DNA posted:

They're all chain drive as far as I know. I think there were some rumours about belt drive before it was released, though.

The S and ST were belt-drive, the GS and R are chain.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

1) that paint scheme is hot as poo poo. do not loving change it

Iterating this. You have a tigerstripe motorcycle. Leave it the gently caress alone.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zygoatse posted:

Showin some more FZ love! Im actually on my 2nd FZ6!
My first FZ6 was an 04 converted to street fighter / naked style

Fuuuck that's a good-lookin' bike with the fairing off.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Your bike looks awesome. Love the speed tripe but for some weird reason I am severely bothered by large quantities of shiny bolts on an otherwise black engine.

CBR1000 does it to me too

Goddammit, it looks like a dresser saddlebag. I can't unsee it either!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OneOverZero posted:

Wanna ride that thing to Tofino and get run over in the parking lot of Tuff Beans

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Such a handsome bike. Looks like it's in pretty good condition, too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DiZ posted:

Hurray!

That's a slime green bike it just doesn't know it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

pr0zac posted:

Holy crap, when did Honda decide to sell a 250 in the US market? Bout drat time we got more small bikes over here. Need to start paying better attention to moto news.

Since the Ninja 250 refresh sold like hotcakes everywhere, and the CBR125R sold like hotcakes in Canada.

(Swear to god, we're America's test market. Since I started paying attention to bikes, I can't think of anything outside the Suzuki TU250 that debuted in the US before it debuted in Canada first or at the same time in both markets. It makes sense, we've got roughly the same cultural tastes but a far smaller market to penetrate.)

e: Dunno how well the 250R will go over, considering the 125R was styled like a wee CBR, whereas the 250R is Shamu with a 250cc thump

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziploc posted:

WHY CAN'T I BUY THAT IN CANADA.

Dude, remember how many skylines you see around? I don't know if there's any legal reason you couldn't bring a CBR400 over so long as it was '96 or over.

e: OLDER.

Phy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 29, 2011

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

A thing of beauty is a joy forever. Utterly awesome bike.

Yeah, that Illinois Nazi had great taste in bikes. And I'm not being sarcastic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

renraku posted:

Went from doing it with two to doing it with three.

Picked up a Can Am Spyder RSS. I absolutely love this thing. It's the fastest thing I've ever been on. It's an absolute pleasure to ride. You kinda lose the benefits of parking as compared to a bike and you ride it more like a four wheeler than a bike.

:canada: Thank you

I think if there's ever an ATV thread it should be here. Sure, it's four wheels, but the actual experience is far more in line with biking. I guess I focus more on the "you're exposed to the atmosphere and are actually riding the loving thing" aspect more than the "it leans in the turns" bit.

AI: You are inside it. CA: You are on it. DL: It is a horse, cow, mule or elephant. (Dressage Lunacy: We don't have that one yet.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KARMA! posted:

Thing looks like waspinator from beast wars.

Hopefully they don't end up blown into a million parts as often as he was

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

I don't think Honda or Yamaha make a modern bike with a twin engine that isn't a cruiser do they?

Not any more, but there's the Superhawk and RC51.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Now, do they sell it where infraboy is? Because it's not up for grabs in Canada or the US.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Its never been in production in the states :(

They did sell it in Canada for a few years but not for the past couple, far as I know.

SaucyPants posted:

there is one at blackfoot

Calgary, or is there another blackfoot?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SaucyPants posted:

Calgary yes

Awesome, let me know if you want to go riding sometime

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Nah, there's no cat in the exhaust and the exhaust pulses aren't in direct line with the indicator.

See the KTM 690SMC for a bike that has the exhaust kill the indicators from the factory.

The 690 exhaust is loving roasty anyways, yeah? I rode a couple times with a guy who had one and he melted his pants

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Niven posted:

Seat cowl, tail tidy and that'd be a pretty nice looking machine. I like the ktm-style headlight.

Would the seat cowl be split down the middle and bolted together like the tail fairing?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been looking at Harleys since my trip a couple weeks ago, and to my surprise they actually occasionally make a few with mid controls. Right now all there is are Sportsters, the XR, and one Dyna, but i kinda look at HDs as something you hack on anyway. Buy one used, for cheap, and swap bits off it until it doesn't suck.

It's just all the chrometards hack on them in the wrong stupid direction.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

That is one giant hunk of nostalgia.

Isn't it basically covering a fatass belt and pulley set? There's gotta be a way to do that thinner without having to do a whole shitload of other work.

e: Or am i wrong and it's a chain already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

The only other hyper-displacement naked the US got that I can think of is the BMW K1200R, which has also vanished.

:colbert: ZED REX.