Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I have three bikes right now, with one actually "for real" running, one sorta running, and the third in the process of being fixed.

2006 Triumph Bonnevile T100. A lot of mods, used for commuting and touring. It has about 22,000 miles on it and runs very nicely. It's due for valve adjustment soon, which will be an annoying pain because of my dual petcock tank.

1973 BMW R60/5. It's an LWB (long wheel-base) "toaster" (mirror-like tank panels) model. This guy is getting a full tear down. It runs, but has not been maintained well. I think it has about 64,000 miles. I'm hoping to turn it into a café racer.

1968 Honda CL350 Scrambler with about 8,900 original miles. All original. It needs a bit more work before it gets running, and is currently sitting in Wisconsin. It is meant to be my "Wisconsin bike" on the rare occasions that I visit my parents. Current needs: new tires, rust-proofing the battery tray, new battery, new clutch and throttle cables, UNI foam filters installed, and a bunch of carb bits (diaphragms, floats, and gaskets). There's also something totally dead about the electric starter, but the kick start appears to be in good order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Bugdrvr posted:

8ender posted:

:drat:

Those are some nice old bikes. How difficult were the restorations? Any before/after pics?

EDIT: Missed the OPs suggestion for previous bikes as well. Here they are:

My first SWEET RIDE, a 2001 Vespa ET4. I actually loved it, but I needed something for highway travel so I sold it to buy a...

1999 Ducati Monster 750. That was also a very fun bike. Perhaps a touch too powerful for a first bike, but I came out okay. Unfortunately, I was way too big for it (6'2"), so I bought my Bonnie.

I only had this bike for a few months: a 1973 Honda CB350K Frankenbike. Base bike is a '73 CB350, but it has a '72 CB350 tank and side panels and a rebuilt '71 CL350 engine. It worked pretty well, a few carb problems aside. I did a small bit of work on it and sold it to my ex-, who is loving it.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2008

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Z3n posted:

I find it ironic that BMW has this reputation, considering that most motorcycles will easily rack up that sort of distance when maintained correctly. It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis. I had a SV650, which is well know for being a "budget bike", that had 135k on it, when I got it. It had been tracked and raced regularly for a good part of that as well. Transmission went at 140k. It was well maintained, and the engine itself was still fine.
I think the reputation was founded by the airhead boxer in the 70s and 80s, when (IIRC) not a lot of other bike engines were particularly long-lived.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

constant gulping posted:

1971 BMW R60/5

I haven't had it too long, I am just starting to get used to the little quirks that airheads have. It's been a really fun bike so far.

Great looking bike. Hopefully you're having less issues than I did. I've got a toaster R60/5 that I need to get around to tearing down. By the way, if you ever have to change the battery, make sure you've got a few hours to spare.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

w00t new tank

I started out with the stock Bonneville tank, found it didn't hold enough for my purposes, and moved up to the Norman Hyde SS tank. That also had a number of problems which I won't go through again here. But... I finally have what I've been looking for.

This is a one-off tank custom made by Evan Wilcox in Ukiah, California. It's made of aluminum, has a centrally-mounted sealed cap, a breather tube running to the charcoal cannister, and it holds 7.5 gallons of fuel. Given the weight of my bike with full touring gear, I get about 35 mpg, which puts my range above 250 miles.

Evan calls it the Triumph GS Clubman tank, based off of an old BSA Gold Star tank design.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm unsure if I'll get decals for it. The aluminum is very nice by itself.

And nope, no clearcoat, just bare metal.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Thanks. Yeah, I know polishing may be a bit of a pain, but the clearcoat on the Norman Hyde tank really detracted from the look overall, I think.

I rode from SF to Orange County today. It was nice to see NO GAS FOR XXX MILES signs and just be like yeah whatevs.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think so. It was in the sun all day today and had no problems. I never had any problems with my Norman Hyde tank in the sun, either. My seat tended to get a lot warmer than my tank.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Modern Vagina posted:

Merry Christmas, self. I got a 1972 CB350, 10k miles. The spokes have a light rust coating and the paint is slightly discolored, but besides that it's in good shape.

Pictures taken at the start of a Christmas Day ride on Old San Jose Rd.

It's not nearly as quick or as precise as my SV, but boy is it fun to ride. It gets more looks/waves as well.
I love all of these old Honda twins. They're pretty easy to work on, even for a n00b like me. Good find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Transalps rule. Too bad we never got the Africa Twin in the States. :smith: