Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wassup Naggers posted:

What? Are we not allowed to say we don't like a kind of bike?

It doesn't really contribute anything, does it?

VVVVV I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure that "that's awesome!" "good one!" "nice thing!" type posts with no other content are also technically against the rules.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the walkin dude posted:

Definitely done with parallel twins.

That is blasphemous and you ought to be struck straight into hell. Parallel twins are the ideal motorcycle engine :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Fkin posted:

It's not a bike I would ever choose to own, but I can definitely appreciate the work that's gone into it. Cool.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What's the difference between a Dyna and a Sportster? I thought only the Sportsters had coil-overs in the rear. That blue one is very clean...if it were mine I'd lose the ape hangers and the back rest and ride the poo poo out of it.

(I like coil-overs, so if I owned a Harley, it would be a Sportster or I guess now also maybe a Dyna)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's fuel-injected, right? Cute how they made the injection hardware look sort of like a carburetor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aargh posted:

Industrial Design at UC, though i graduated over 10 years ago. I feel old now.

:hf: Sup ID dude.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Strife posted:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON! :downs:

I bought it brand new. I keep hearing that's kind of stupid, but hey, what's the worst that could happen, right?

Well, you could drop it and total it and be paying thousands of dollars on a total write-off.

Sportsters are the best H-Ds. How much did you pay for it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

n8r posted:

For dirt on a tire?

Perhaps he's Swiss.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, this is all just wonderful :allears:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FormatAmerica posted:

I very clearly wasn't hitting up the twisties. Ran it up and down the street I'm front of my house once- boots, gloves and lid are good enough for that.

CA is getting pretty crazy with the safety evangelism.

Your choice, but even if I crashed at 20mph, I'd rather be in gloves and a jacket than bare skin.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a parts bike that I am slowly turning back into a running bike in exactly that color. "Electric puke", I call it.

Can't argue that it is a sweeeeet ride though. Perfect for tooling around town. Put some Bridgestone dual-sport tires on it (TW39 front, TW26 rear) and go rip up some dusty trails and grassy fields!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

orthod0ks posted:

All bikes should be in 90's colors. Hot

This bike in this paint scheme is way up there in my dream garage list:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xovaan posted:

80's and 90's had the best decals because the entire purpose of them was to guide your eyes to something from ~The Future~, like ~Twin Cam~ or ~Four Wheel Drive~

Or on that TW200, the futuristic science-fiction technology of ~ELECTRIC~ (starter)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks fine to me. In comparison, the first picture makes it look like a big purple dong.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

JPS paint scheme is the best paint scheme :allears:

Someday I'm going to own a S1 Elise in black with gold pinstripes, I know it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, so essentially it's like suddenly increasing the carburetor bore and jetting by about 1.4x its base value. Welp :psyduck:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Registered Loser posted:

New Scrambler project a buddy and I are working on.

Yum. How loud is it with that exhaust?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:aaa: I looked for the source of that image, and did you know that it's also mechanically functional? There's a tiny engine with moving pistons that operate when you turn the rear wheel.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/30154

Wish the guy had built it in that Lego CAD program -- then you can upload the file to Lego and they'll let you order a custom package with all the parts and automatically-generated instructions to build it.

couple other lego motorcycles
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/9899
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/29123
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/23369

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Black-oxidized nickel plating on the fork sliders, reinforced carbon-carbon brake discs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, it is a little shady but it doesn't sound like it was outright stolen. Maybe Stefano was in debt to Vitaliy and paid it off with the motorcycle. Maybe Vitaliy actually owned it and was leasing it to Stefano until recently, and now he's selling it.

Looks neat. And XS650s have a 360-degree crank, right? So it should sound just like an old Triumph. Fix the license plate, though...that positioning will bug the crap out of any cops that see you, maybe turning "let's run his numbers" into "okay, let's get him off the bike", and almost every state has a law to the effect that modifying a license plate in the slightest way (say, bending it) invalidates the plate anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is it true that they have insurance inspectors who sometimes come out to the accident site to verify things like skid marks and torn-up dirt to make sure everything's on the level? I've never actually had an accident, but I've heard that happens sometimes, at least in the USA. I wouldn't be surprised -- I have also heard that in some insurance contracts you're better off driving straight into the side of a deer than swerving off the road to avoid it, because the first case is covered but the second counts as an intentional departure from the roadway and so any damage caused is entirely your fault.

*well when I was learning to drive I did once pull up too close to a telephone pole that, in all fairness, was way too close to the curb anyway, and rip the passenger mirror off our station wagon.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 4, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThatCguy posted:

Great little underrated bike.

I wouldn't call any current BMWs "little" but it is neat looking. The fairing has some really nice curvature, cool forms...but too tall, I think.

Looks sweet with all that stuff taken off:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's something I absolutely love about the two small, round, side-by-side headlights on bikes of that era. Along with the simple rounded fairings, it just looks super cool.

I need to get a CBR250RR someday:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Plus you can just get a cbr400r, which i also had!

ungghhhh, it's even in JPS colors :circlefap:

I would absolutely adore one of those. The USA has this vast cavern of nothingness between 250cc and 600cc, and even the 250 end is kind of lacking. But that...that is just wonderful. What's the redline?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

So which one are you, mootmoot or Jack the Smack?

Looking at his post history (13 whole posts, all in CA), where he uses British slang, repeatedly makes fun of people with small bikes, and drools over the Daytona, I'm 90% sure that it's mootmoot. Or a dedicated copycat.

Welcome back you awful man :allears:

Saga posted:

Don't feel cheated. I had one of these and the slightly newer CBR 600 I owned subsequently was a much better bike.

The 400 race reps only exist because of Japanese licensing limitations and many things about them make sense only in those terms. The chassis is massively over built and far heavier than it needs to be.

All the more reason to get the CBR250RR, my current dream bike. It was built entirely for that bracket, not sleeved-down from a 600 or whatever. And it comes in black and gold (though admittedly I'd be ecstatic with the tricolor, and almost as happy with the :krad: 90's shredded purple/red/white scheme).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh, I wonder what category that puts something like this, then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbW7wlb9FM0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I dropped my bike on basically the first actual ride I took around town when I stomped the kickstart while it was in gear :thumbsup:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like this picture because it looks like you have a single large chicken strip in the middle of your tire. :wooper:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sigh. Another awesome-looking bike that the 'murrican market is too snotty to even consider.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've always wanted to try a 400 i4, that thing must scream, literally.

A while back I was almost tempted by a '94 NC29 FireBlade for sale locally, which I think has the most Rs of any Honda model; Designation CBR400RR-R.

It's tied with the 1990-1 (I think) CBR250RR(R). Which is a 250 I4. God I want one of those.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems like every time a European or Australian posts here I say the same thing: sigh, another awesome and fun-looking little bike that we in the USA will never, ever get.

What's the top speed on a modern 125, out of curiosity?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

Probably the most gear ever worn on a scooter.

I saw a guy a few months ago on a little Vino or Jazz or something wearing a leather 2-piece and a Shoei helmet. He got a huge thumbs-up and a bunch of horn toots.

I have to admit that I enjoy watching the hipster girls around here riding scooters in nothing but breezy sundresses and a retro helmet, but man do I cringe whenever I think of what their knees are going to look like if they come off. :unsmigghh:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you look closely you'll see that the forward and middle sections of the silvery exhaust housing are actually sitting about a half inch away from the pipe itself, on little risers -- they form a heat shield that stays relatively cool as the exhaust heats up. My scrambler (below) has a very similar thing going on and the heat shield has never gotten uncomfortably hot. (The headers in front are another story, though :kimchi: )

e: I imagine you could burn yourself if you rode in shorts or something and scooched forwards to the hottest part of the pipe, but in any reasonable circumstance they're pretty harmless

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 20, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, your custom title is accurate.

e: you and your edits. I'm bad at telling cruisers apart. What is it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was always partial to this one. Reminds me of a sailboard my uncle bought in about 1989.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Aw, welcome back buddy. :allears:

This IS the motorcycle posting thread, so what are you riding now, and how many chrome spikes does it have on it? On a scale of 1 to 10, how many times have you had to replace the fairings?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Fuuuuck that's hot. I bet it's got like a 40" seat height, though, totally unrideable.

I think if you have that bike you get on and never stop moving so ultimately it's not that big a deal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When you own that many motorcycles, how does insurance work? Do you have to get a whole new policy for each bike you want to ride on the road, or are there ways to add another bike to your main policy for a little extra on top given that you can only be riding one at a time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I like the air cooling fins pointed in completely the wrong direction. Why couldn't they just violate patent rights and copy a Japanese engine like the sensible Chinese do?

The back cylinder seems okay to me, isn't it? It's not ~perfect~ but there should still be decent airflow through the fins. The front one is dumb yeah. Odds that they used the exact same casting for both?

Slavvy posted:

Also, am I right in thinking that there basically isn't a 'head gasket' in the traditional sense? To me it appears as if the combustion chamber and bore are cast out of one piece of aluminium, and the meeting point with the rest of the barrel is below the piston stroke area. So there's no gasket that needs to resist compression. Or are the heads just absolutely gigantic compared to the bore and pistons?

I've never heard of an engine like that, where the cylinders and head are a single casting with no head gasket. I suppose you could engineer around issues like getting the valvetrain in, but why? The head gasket isn't a particularly expensive part, and if it's designed properly for the power output it's not likely to be a weak point either. If that Hyosung engine really does have a single-piece cylinder and head, though, I'd love to see how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Call me a dumbass, but is that a road-legal bike over there?

Seems to have turn signals and a headlight switch, so