Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can see the obviously cloudy sky in the background, and the picture makes it obvious that its overcast. That same shot in the sun would look very different.

Regardless, the real kicker is the Euro Focus in the background that probably has 9 turbos from the factory.

FORD :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont think I've ever seen all-silver comstars before, that looks pretty good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, I missed that there was another page, whoops

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you dont think the Akira bike is rad, you have no soul.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

you did a good deed.

Every time a chopper build is stopped, an angel gets its wings.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're the ultimate form of poserdom in the motorcycle world? They're designed for nothing but being showpieces, and thats the only thing they do well, everything else they do, they do completely lovely.

In a nutshell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yamaha used some pretty crappy fasteners back in the day. Every single screw on my RD350 was like butter.

You'll learn to love the socket cap screw section of your local hardware store soon enough.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The easiest way, especially if your bike is getting dirty from riding in the rain is to hose it down quickly when you get home. Instead of drying with lovely road grime water on it, it dries with clean water.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rim tape is mankinds greatest achievement.

I love the stuff.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MourningGlory posted:

I just bought some, but I've convinced myself I'm going to screw up the install. Are there any secrets to putting this stuff on properly?

It depends if its precurved or not. Precurved stuff is pretty simple, its just a matter of lining it up.

Straight tape is a little harder. You have to work it on inch by inch so it gets around the wheel without kinking.

It helps if the wheel/tape/surrounding air/your hands are warm when you do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that I have a champagne colored bike. Its the factory paint, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those newer GS500s actually look really nice

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Selious posted:

Wish I had access to the better quality pics, but my new Bandit:

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

A little dirty as the dust out here coats everything, but at least I got that sticker off the windscreen right after the photos were taken.

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Rides as smooth as I could want, though I want to get that front end switched out for naked when I get a chance. Picked it up a month ago with 12.5k miles for a scant $2.7k, and have since put on almost 1500 miles.

Very nice. You'll like it.

I made this thread a few months ago when I converted mine to naked. I did it on the cheap, and it looks great (IMO):

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php/topic,69162.0.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pubic Lair posted:

Here are updated pics of my zephyr after I finally got to wash and wax it from the new paint job last fall

Man, I always forget how sweet Zephyrs look. I love that tail section.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Either way, still looks good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It was a beautiful night in Milwaukee last night. I took the Bandit out and brought my camera equipment along.

I paid $3 to get into this parking garage for the express purpose of taking pictures, so I'll be damned if I'm not getting my moneys worth.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It really does seem like they fall apart quickly :italy:, but those motors have a ton of character and they're really just fun bikes to ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

notZaar posted:

So happens when you hit a wet spot or ride in the rain? Does your rear wheel just completely soak you?

lol if you think any custom bike/chopper/bobber gets ridden any time except the sunniest of summer sundays

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tanbo posted:

That makes more sense in the context of the current discussion. But yeah looks goodOH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU RUINED IT!

You dont really get it. He would have ruined it if he replaced the rear suspension with rebar to make a hardtail, ripped the front brakes off and replaced the tires with poo poo that was out of date in the 70's.

Oh, and exhaust wrap, always never dont wrap your exhaust

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

Pistons burnt too.

I'm stupid.

Most forums are saying run em 40-60:1 premix on synthetics with the jetting I'm running.

way too much oil for the jetting. way lean a/f ratio: blown rear end engine.

whatever, I'm a veteran 4 stroke builder learning 2 strokes the hardway.

Hey, at least you got over the "more oil = more lean" hump!! You'd be amazed how many people cling tightly to the "More oil must be making it run richer" argument.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Heh the ~Hivemind~ will hate this

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nitramster posted:

Lots of us joining team green this last month!

Hell yeah son!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Noone wants to see your ugly BIKE Jim. GOD. Something something edgy.

I cannot escape the versys hatred :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Small bikes own, now and forever, there is a reason that the only bike I'll never sell also makes 8hp.

Twisting the throttle and having the world warp by like Star Trek is fun for sure, but after the 50th time you realize it's all the same. After the inevitable ticket and insurance hike you realize it's not worth it. After driving around at 20% forever to avoid another ticket you start thinking of ways you can get back to 100% AND not get a ticket.

There is so much more to do on a smaller bike in my mind. They are the option that lets you have your cake and eat it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That's all of us except instead of wrenching it's posting

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are there even any decent led headlights these days or are they all still "FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY", meaning "not good enough or legal"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HELL YES Team "green" parking only. Note that is not my coolant spot under the bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

"Loaner bike" is another way to say "not in the US"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

Now to figure out this speedometer bullshit...

Niiiiiiice

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The gearbox on my DRZ was pretty smooth as I recall it, the 690 feels a lot more agricultural on that point.

Yeah, the DRZ gearbox and really all suzuki gearboxes are buttery smooth. My versys gearbox is much rougher than either of my drz's were. I don't know why people get hung up on that though, as long as it doesn't grind or pop out of gear I don't think too much about my gearbox.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

I tried commuting on the DRZ once and I just worried about oil the entire way. So now I just do the ninja for commuting

:cmon: Man up

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

Jim had a gold Suzuki, he's Liberace.

Liberace owns, so yes you're right.

Also just ride your drz on the highway and check the oil afterward. It's not like it drinks a pint per mile.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

The drz has a 5 speed? Thoroughly surprised. I thought all Japanese bikes had 6 since almost forever.

Drz has 5, but it also likes to rev, so it's not as big of a deal as people make it out to be. I mean, they'll do 100mph without hitting the limiter, well, chichivachis won't, but the rest of them will.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

The reason I love that shape is because it still looks completely modern and like a million dollar spaceship instead of a tatty old ducati.

It really has aged well, the only thing that gives it away as an older bike is the front brakes, other than that it still looks very modern.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That looks like a shitload of spots from the factory to get it down to "sloppy mess"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Drc edge is by far the best choice, and yes you should replace the stock tail, mine got sucked into the rear tire.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chichevache posted:

No, a DRZ400S, which also has different forks! Completely unique bikes. :eng101:

AND a different swingarm :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He's right actually, and as a parent, I am laughing my rear end off at that

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Parallel twins taking over CA

Or as I like to call them, 0 degree v-twins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001