Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO
I've never really been into bucket-seat cruisers or sports bikes, so about three years ago, I worked pretty hard towards buying a ~1970s Honda CB 350-440 off of Ebay since I like that classic, straight-seat look... It never really worked out because there's apparently a 500 mile wasteland around my house for old, used bikes.

Now, I have a real job, have some money, and decided to look for a new Triumph since they look a lot like the old Hondas but don't have the maintenance...

About 5 weeks ago (after drilling down into every nearby area of Craigslist and searching), I bought this:

An '06 Triumph Scrambler (the last and only year they had silver engine blocks). It's not gonna win any races, but man do I smile every time I see it. :)

I saw that Ropekid has a new Bonneville too, but apparently you don't see many Triumphs around these parts...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

mantaworks posted:

You should've bought a Moto Guzzi V7 Classic instead. :colbert:

Alright, fine... I guess I'll admit that Moto Guzzis are pretty great looking bikes too. :)

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO
I just spent all of Saturday and Sunday tearing up trails on this: (edit. and by trails, I mean my parents own 50 acres, not public)

A 1976 Honda XL100 that my dad used to ride around when it still worked... (probably why I wanted to buy a bigger CB :))

He drilled out the jetting a while ago and it hasn't run since. Finally, after waiting a month and a half for the wrong carburetor and then (an original?!) carburetor repair kit to make their way here from Thailand, we rebuilt the carburetor, bought a new spark plug, and now it runs like a top... It really feels almost brand new.

Now the only problems left to fix are non-blinking turn lights, a hole in the muffler and the fact that it hates to downshift... :suicide: There's nothing like downshifting to turn hard up a hill and finding out that you're still in fourth gear.

Other than that, it's a ton of fun to climb through gulleys, peg it through clearings, and thread through narrow trees like on a mountain bike. ...it's exciting too to know that I'm one tree away from being mangled. :) I wish I had a helmet cam so I could post videos... it's pretty great.

phishnut fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 21, 2008