Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
first bike, sold to AntiFederalist on these here forums

current bike, minus a few updates

not pictured is the 04 FJR I had previously that died at the hands of a 19 year old texting while speeding in daddy's 540i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Squishy Buddha posted:

The 2008 Goldwing:

You traitor :mad:

My wife and I are planning a trip out to San Fransisco around a business conference she's attending and are going to rent a Goldwing. I have a feeling she won't want to ride with me on the FJR anymore when we get back.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

kmcormick9 posted:

The bike does everything I could ask of it, except be comfortable for more than 30 minutes, so I'm thinking of picking up a used BMW for trips and carrying things. Of course a Sargent seat and a pillion bag would do the same for about $6600 less...

Try to find an Aprilia Futura - slightly detuned version of the motor in your Mille, WAY more comfortable ergos, comes with factory saddle bags. They haven't made them for a few years but they are a great bike. The stock seat is incredibly comfortable, too.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Phat_Albert posted:

:master:

The internet never forgets

what do you mean condoms don't prevent herpes

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

Jazzzzz is probably having heart palpitations because they aren't the exact color code of orange that KTM uses ( he did a fantastic job on this biek). :D

Well the factory valve stem caps weren't the right color of orange either so you're not doing any worse than the mothership. Glad you like the bike, and glad it's gone to someone who will ride the hell out of it!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
looks like the oil pan. that was the drain plug

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Y

get some hindsight or bar end mirrors

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
he might be able to see something in those but they look worse than what he already has

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what's the BMW next to it, K1200-something?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Teaching him clutch-ups, or was he just not getting on the throttle?

If/when you buy another tail piece, I ordered most of the stuff out of the powerparts catalog from Appalachian Offroad and it showed up right quick at a decent price. Worth checking out

edit: don't forget to look at (and laugh at the price of) the carbon exhaust guards to match your new Wings can

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you can find a place that does car wheel repair a lot of times they do powdercoating and you can get stuff done on the cheap. That's how I got that skid plate done in flat black, and it cost a whole $35. I should've had the exhaust guards done at the same time, but didn't think of it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Bellevue? Redmond?

Bike looks sharp dude, enjoy

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Congratulations! The new AT looks like a sweet ride, pretty capable for off-road stuff too. What led you to it vs. the other bikes in the segment?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

BlackLaser posted:

What segment is it in? All the reviewers are comparing it against the $20K+ KTM, Multistrada and 1200GS. I don't have the balls to take a $20K bike and drop it in the woods.

The alternatives at $13K are BMW F800, Tiger 800, Vstrom 1000. None of those are great off road. I am not a fan of the Supere Tenere looks wise.

I'd put it in the "Adventure Touring" segment, firmly on the adventure end since it's actually capable offroad. The KTM 1190 and 1190R are probably the closest things to it IMO, and yeah they might be a couple grand more at retail, but you can still find new 2015s going for mid-$13k. At that point it comes down to which bike you like better, and Honda reliability vs KTM ready to race/possibly have something stupid break at a bad time.

Either way I think it would be hard to go wrong. If I had any aspirations of doing real adventure riding I would've given it a hard look, but since I know I'll be on asphalt 99.999% of the time I went with a used Multi. We'll see how much I regret that decision when I hit my 7500 mile service.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
it's not anywhere near organic enough to look like Giger - it looks something more like "modern steampunk" if that could be a thing

nice bike Pinny - is it your first?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Congratulations, and enjoy!

I think I'd go for a tail tidy just so you're not getting poo poo slung up from the street all over your back if you get caught in the rain

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What bike even is that?

Yamaha XSR900

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What exactly is the point of cruisers, especially metric cruisers, using cubic inches vs centimeters for displacement like every other bike? I seem to remember Sportster 883 and 1200 motors, those obviously weren't figures in CI

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Those Road Warriors are sweet. Literally the worst part about them is the stupid exhaust. Looooots of cornering clearance for what it is.

They'd be cooler if they put the 1900cc engine from the Liner line into em.

Turbos on the 1700 are alright too I guess https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNElREqfNp0

Took me a second to realize that was a blow-off valve I was hearing on decel and not the rear end end skipping around every time he got off the gas

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
that's a trike, doesn't count

This giant POS can actually be ridden (ignore the training wheels) but only has 8.2L of displacement

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Am I alone in thinking you'd need asbestos pants to ride that thing for more than 10, 15 minutes? The heat coming off of the engine must be insane.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
put some velcro in the valley at the tip of the fender and use it to stick the nose in place. you can always peel the velcro back up later

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
isn't the 6 in the Goldwing a horizontally opposed 6? still huge but maybe not as wide as the CBX motor

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Nice purchase! Not sure how I feel about the rally fairing on a sumo but the stock headlight mask would definitely look weird with the safari tank.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
glad the WRX didn't go sliding off the edge into the drink, that would've been a mess

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you like blowing fork seals

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Takes a while to get used to the elbows out posture, especially long slogs at speed on the slab since it turns your upper body into a giant sail

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pokie posted:

Here's a result of breaking 3 breaker bars and finally taking my wheel off. Still had to get help from dealer to loosen the drat nut. Just :italy: things.

Had the same problem with my :italy: bike when I went to get new tires, too. Mine's just a pedestrian Ducati though, so it only took 15 minutes heaving with a breaker bar, a broken electric impact bit, and an air impact.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Yerok posted:

I haven't touched any of my air impact wrenches in a year cause I got the 1/2" drive milwaukee impact. Even for 90% of the truck stuff I have to do it's more than adequate.

I was using a DeWalt electric impact with a 1/2" Milwaukee bit in the big fuckoff socket. The bit broke on the first trigger pull. Might have been fine if the impact didn't use a chuck + bit.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yeah, I miss it every time he posts a picture of it. I'm glad he's out riding the gently caress out of it though, it deserved better than sitting in my garage looking pretty

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
looks like the turn signals have wilted, he obviously didn't water that bike proplerly while it was in storage

For $500 that's a total score, hopefully the carbs aren't a giant pain in the rear end

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
you know those beaded seat covers that every taxi driver in the world uses? that's what he's talking about

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Why the tank covers? Dirt/sand will get trapped under them and scratch the hell out of the clear.

If they're there for attachment points to make a tank bag easy to mount up, you might want to look at something like the SW Motech/Bags Connection bags that use a locking ring around the gas cap.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If it's not for a tank bag, then what's the tank bra for? Unless you're trying to cover paint damage, or trying to create some, they're even more useless than a bag

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sagebrush, what mirrors are those on your Hawk?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

lovely coastal scenery

Every time a post like this is made I'm reminded just how much I need to get the gently caress out of flyover country

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I installed the GT hugger and reinstalled the fender thing that sits behind the rear tire on my Multistrada today because I'm tired of cleaning poo poo off the back of my bike from riding up and down a wet gravel driveway

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
The front fairing on the Tuono has always been kind of a miss for me too, but it's not a deal-breaker. The V4 is a killer motor.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I am a true believer in the value of a top box and keep one on my Multistrada all the time but somehow it seems wrong to put one on a Brutale. It's like Bianca Balti wearing mom jeans :smith:

The stitching on that seat looks pretty sharp - what kind is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
So much of Honda's street lineup is a mish-mash of ugly, uninspired, or both. I wonder what % of Honda's bike revenues come from Goldwings and other old guy bikes. It seems like they keep designing stuff that only older folks might want, which doesn't exactly do much to bring in new customers. Reliability alone won't drive sales.

They did a great job with the new Africa Twin, but I didn't even know the VFR1200X was a thing, and now that I do, I have to wonder who thought putting the VFR1200 motor into an NC700X and trying to sell it for $16,000 was a good idea. The VFR1200 itself didn't do very well.