Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
about creating my robot whores, tia Science
:roboluv:
Here's my new-to-me starter bike.

It's a 1996 Yamaha Virago 750 with about 62,000 miles on it. I shopped around for nearly 3 months before I finally settled on this bike to start off on. Picked it up for 1,500 bucks from a woman in the area who owned two and wanted to get rid of one.

I just took the MSF class over the weekend so I'm looking forward to taking her out for some serious riding later on this week.

I do have a question for you guys though, I would really appreciate some help. The exhaust head on the bike is REALLY corroded and rusted. It's drat near worn all the way through. In fact, when I rode the bike around the block a couple times yesterday there was a bit of smoke coming out from the head after I parked her. It's nearing the end of the line obviously. Now, I tried looking on ebay and did a bunch of google searches for a place that sells that part but I'm having zero luck. Can anybody direct me to a resource or a shop that has the part available? Thanks a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
Posted some of these pix in the Piggy relay thread but never got around to putting any up in this thread. So here we go.

My 2002 BMW R1150GS. Bought it used with 47,000 miles for $8,000 two months ago. Already took it on a trip from Orange County to San Fran; planning on more soon. I love this bike to death and I don't see myself ever letting it go.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
My new-to-me 2005 Suzuki V Strom DL650. Found the bike on the ADVrider forums last week, flew up to Oakland 2 days later with 4 grand in my pocket to meet a total stranger in Pittsburg, CA for the transaction and then rode the bitch back to Orange County the same day. I'm a crazy rear end in a top hat. This is the 4th bike I've owned in a year and I've only been riding for a year. I'm pretty much addicted to these machines!

Bike had 20k on the odo and came with the bags, tankbag, a spare knobby, and brand new tires. Needs some work though. The front and rear brakes squeal like a stuck pig even though the seller said the brakes were "brand new" :rolleyes: so I'm probably going to need new pads and maybe rotors. Hopefully don't have to rebuild the pistons because I have no idea how difficult/easy that is. Also the clutch cable needs adjusting cause the bike creeps forward when sitting in first gear even though I have the lever pulled to the handgrip. Other than that, sweet ride!

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Doctor Zero posted:

Could be that he just didn't apply any anti-squeal grease to the backs of the pads. Cross your fingers.

Good to know. How would I verify this? Take the things apart and close-up visual inspection?

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Z3n posted:

drat dude, not screwing around with the ADV bikes. What happened with the GS?

I bet that the pads are just squealing, easy enough to fix. Bring it up here and I'll show you how to take care of it :)

Yeah I'm hooked! I still have the GS. I wanted a second bike so I wouldn't put so much wear on the GS...that's the excuse I used to justify the purchase anyway, heh.

That sounds like a plan, dude! Let me know when you're available. I'm off Wed-Sat so I've got lots of down time every week.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Raven457 posted:

My ST1300, taken at the Lake LBJ scenic overlook on 1431 near Kingsland, Tx.

Just chiming in to say I'm intensely jealous. That's a beautiful 1300. Enjoy it!

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set
Happy birthday to me!

And thus, after 6 months of not riding a motorcycle, jonesin' like a crackhead in rehab, and a brief 2 week stint on a Honda ST1300, I make my triumphant (lols) return to the moto world. Just in time for the riding season, too.

Found this gorgeous machine on Craigslist back in April and spent over a month negotiating with the dude until he finally broke and let it go for 6k. The bike only has 13,000 miles and is in immaculate condition. Never dropped, not a scratch, and properly maintained. Apologies for the crappy cell phone pictures.

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Z3n posted:

Very nice! When are you gonna come up so we can go for a ride? :)

Sup Z3n! A trip up there is definitely on my To-Do list. My finals wrap up this week so hopefully I can find time to head up there soon. I'll keep in touch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrothyDawg
May 24, 2002

please immediately set

Tsaven Nava posted:

This.

And I get hating the adventure when you're in it, my week spending northern Alberta and the Northwest Territories was like that. I hated motorcycles, hated Canada, hated everything in the world, and I especially hated myself for not just taking the Alcan like a sane person.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.”
- Marco Polo

That's what it's all about :)