Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Here's mine:

First bike, 2002 SV650S, looked like this when I got it:

Turned it into this over a summer:

Stepped up to my current bike, a 2006 Buell XB12Ss Lightning

Well-lit dealer pic of it:

This is my fiancés Ninja 250. The prior owner changed it to a single pipe exhaust and rejetted. Honestly, my Buell is loud, but this thing is loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

WingAttackPlanR posted:

^ How are the Buell's mounted on that SV, I have a pair that I want to mount on my DRZ but don't have the proper brackets. I bought some aluminum and a hack saw from Home Depot to try to rig something up. I wish I had a CNC machine and some CAD skills.
If they're really Buell lights, they'll be a bit of a hack job. If they're the ones from Aztec8.com, I had those on my SV, and they come with mounting hardware that attaches to the forks. You have to specify fork diameter when you order them.

My SV ones:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

buns of molybdenum posted:

Got it last Sunday and had about 5 minutes on it before I had to go out of town for a week. Just got done practicing the motions for starting on hills which is the one thing I'm not comfortable with yet and is very important for Charlottesville.

e: More info. '09 250R with about 3 miles on the clock and that's my Evo looking jealous in the background.
Hmm.. 250R eh? How much was it? 6? 7k? ;)

They've done a good job with the styling, I thought it was a ZX-6R. :ughh:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Cull posted:

'09 Buell XB9. Got it a few weeks ago. Traded in a V-Star 1100 so it's quite the change for me, but I really like it so far. And yes it isn't a Gixxer and doesn't perform like one :cheers:
Nor does it sound like one. Goongrats, our numbers grow (I've got an '06 XB12Ss). :)

I really like those dark blue wheels, but I don't like the switch to the translucent airbox covers. :(

I definitely miss mine, having put it away for the winter. I don't want to rush through ski/snowboard season, but I can't wait for April.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Imperador do Brasil posted:

'06 Lighting XB12SS
:hfive: I absolutely love mine, and can't wait to fetch her from winter storage for the season. :)

Simkin, I'm 6'3" and 240 or so, and my XB12Ss fits me perfectly.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'm 5'10" and 215ish and it suits me as well. I have short legs, which I thought would be a problem, but it's actually not so bad. I've heard the SS is the most comfortable of the Ligtnings, and I'm definitely enamored with mine. Put 15 miles on it today just tooling around getting used to it and it's wonderful; same Buell feeling as my Blast, but so much more power. It's in the 50s this weekend, finally warm enough to ride!
Excellent, glad you like it. While the temp here in NH should reach almost 60 today, I don't think I can reason fetching the bike out of storage until the threat of snow is completely gone. So, probably April for me, but that's only a few weeks off.

Once you get some saddle time, let me know what sort of MPG you're getting, would you? People are all over the map over at Buelletinboards.com, but I'm getting around 50mpg most tanks. I get about 195 miles out of the 3.7 gal fill up (I try to fill up as soon as the light starts blinking).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'll def. try to remember to tell you. I do have a quick question (crosspost from the questions megathread): the battery won't start the bike, even after my 90 minute ride today, and it gets hot while riding. I'm thinking bad battery that is getting overheated from trying to charge. Consensus?

On the plus side, a 90 minute ride was like butter compared to my Blast.
Hmm, how are you starting it? Jump-starting/roll-starting? It's not cranking, I assume?

The heat is likely a byproduct of the huge amounts of heat from the bike, and probably not the battery.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yay Buell army! Imperador do Brasil, how are you liking it?

This is from last spring when I installed my fender eliminator. Despite what you may think, fender eliminators DO, in fact, eliminate the fender. After every ride now I have a pile of rocks on my seat. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'm loving the bike. It's got so much torque I don't know what to do with it. I filled up yesterday and I got 55mpg. I didn't wait for the fuel light to come on, I just wanted to see what kind of mileage I was getting. I got 145 miles out of 2.610 gallons. Where did you get your cheesegrater eliminator? Also, what kind of mirrors do you have? Are they an improvement over the stock mirrors as far as field of view? I find my left-hand mirror is all but useless because it doesn't stick out far enough to the side.
I got mine from https://www.americansportsbike.com but... in looking on there now, I dont see it. You may have to call them. It was expensive, but I like the look of it.

The mirrors are Buell bar-end mirrors, I believe, and they're great. I can't compare them to the stockers, because I bought mine with them, but I've had the normal mirrors on my old SV (they looks similar to the stockers), and they gave me a great view of my shoulder, and that's it.

I'm striking out on finding you actual links to stuff :( sorry.. you could try checking around buelletinboards.com for a used fender eliminator.

Gnaghi posted:

Sup Buellers.

Originally looked like this:

I just hacked my cheesegrater off when I saw the cheapest eliminator was $300. It turned out ok. Since it's getting warmer, I'm about ready to replace my handguards with some handlebar mirrors that I bought last year, cause mine also only reflect my shoulders.
The army, she grows! :911:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

JebattoRocket posted:

Traded in the Rebel 250 and got a new bike today. The ride is, ah, very different.

Edit: trying to change size of picture, sorry :(

Edit2: I can't seem to change the size of the attachment. . .

Nice KLR, how do you like it? I imagine that even a 650 single is a pretty nice step up from a Rebel 250. I had one of those at my MSF course, and my god was it a dog (also keeping in mind it was an MSF beat-to-hell bike).

Have you taken it offroading at all? I heard the '08+ had some sort of weird handling issue on dirt that the previous gen's didn't.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Phy posted:

^^That's one I hadn't heard. D'you know what was supposed to have caused it?
I think, if I remember correctly, it had to do with some extra weight (the '08 is ~50lbs heavier) and less travel of the suspension/stiffer suspension (38 to 41mm forks and 220 down to 200mm of travel). It handles better on-road apparently, but I guess the offroad handling was compromised a little.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Yeah, the KLR is a weird, mid-range bike.. Not light enough to be unstoppable offroad, not powerful enough (well, the '07 and older at least) to be a good long distance tourer like a GS. It's good enough offroad, and it's good enough on-road, but it doesn't really excel at either.

I think, as discussed, the 07 and earlier had a slight offroad advantage, and the 08+ have a slight on-road advantage. Obviously if you're more interested in on-road, then you definitely made the right choice. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

NoDoorway posted:

I'd love to ride one just to see if they're as fun as they look. Although the 27hp thing kinda sucks. One of the bonuses of an older 250, my bandit is hiding 45 horses in that wee i4.
The non-US versions of the newer Ninja are closer to that. Unfortunately, I think the US ones are carb'd, while the non-US are EFI, so they get a big power bump. Now, I know there was some sort of reason for that (cost, perhaps? or emissions?) but it's still pretty ridiculous.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Everything I've read on the 250 forums says that the FI version is down 3hp on the carb version. As for the decision to go carbed, Kawasaki claims that price is the biggest single factor for people looking at 250s, so they do what they can to keep the price down.
And yet they've got up about $1k since rollout of the new model.. ;) Interesting about the FI/carb issue, I could have sworn I'd read (albeit before actual release when the 'new ninja 250?!' pictures were floating around) that the non-US version would make more like 40-45bhp (I was trying to talk my fiancee into getting one as an upgrade from her current EX250-F), but then heard the US one would be substantially less due to them going with carbs instead. Ahh well.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Out with the old; 2005 Ninja 250, with special super loud 2-into-1 exhaust rejet. She put about 4k miles on it, paid $2300 for it, and got $1500 at a dealership as trade.

In with the new.. 2009 Ninja 250 with 1900 miles. Previous owner spent $715 (!!) on a full Yoshimura pipe for it, along with a dynojet jet kit (total net is about 3hp, or 10% increase), and she loves it. The only real plan is to take the wheel tape off, because it looks silly and doesn't match the bodywork (though it doesn't look too bad in this pic). PS it's about time they get a drat gas gauge.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

-Inu- posted:

Unfortunately it's so inaccurate (for me anyway) that you wind up using the trip meter anyway. Mine reads it as half empty right after a fillup =\. Though I think it works alright for some people.
Hmm.. interesting, and good to know. Being that it's brand new to us (currently reading 1/2 tank with about 140 miles logged) perhaps we should fill 'er up and see whats up, given that theres no reserve anymore.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

UserNotFound posted:

No reserve would suck. I have a guage, and still abuse the reserve if I know I'm within range of a station. I also get 50mpg in town, and like 35-40 at the speeds I go on the highway (standard position makes me a sail)...so I've done anywhere from 80 to 120 miles before hitting reserve, and frequently forget how much of that is highway in a given week.

That is a sexy bike, though, and a blast I'm sure. It's on my short list for 2nd bike in about 1.5 years, but I'm leaning more towards something geared more for touring and being a daily driver. Form vs function, form vs function...this is gonna be a hard choice.
There are plenty of bikes that don't have reserves, especially ones with EFI and a low-gas light (or gauge). My Buell doesn't have one, for example, just a blinky light.

There are plenty of bikes that fit both form and function, you just have to find the one that work best for what you're after. The Ninja 650R would likely fit the bill, I'd think, but pretty much all the major manufacturers have something that would work in that regard. Yamaha has the FZ6 and FZ1, with the R6 and R1 engines (detuned slightly), partial fairing, and upright riding positions. You just have to do some research and figure out which one you like most.

-Inu- posted:

I fill mine on the side stand. I've never ran the tank to empty, maybe I need to do that to reset it? Seems unlikely.
Based on how far the 250R leans over on its sidestand, you're probably only getting about 2/3rds of a tank or so, I'd estimate, so maybe that's your gauge issue?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

cmorrow001 posted:

Just because I want to whore out my Speedy again, sorry if you've seen them before. Hopefully I can get some decent pics of my DRZ soon.
What's that you say? Post crappy crappy photos of my Speed I just rode home on? Don't mind if I do!

edit: Flyscreen and bellypan are on order. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Went out for what will most likely be my last ride of the season. I have to say, my Speed Triple behaves totally opposite than my Buell did. The Buell was quick, but everything about the bike, in retrospect, felt lazy. Lazy throttle response, lazy power delivery, lazy shifter, but this is completely different. It revs like the 4-cylinder bikes do, it has amazing pull from right down low, and the rev's drop very quickly as well, so you really have to pay attention. I'm basically re-learning throttle control, because even small bumps can cause me to jab the throttle a little. The suspension is hard as poo poo too, though it may be set up stiffly from the prior owner, something to look at in the spring. Here's an action shot for you my wife took.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

blugu64 posted:

Possibly the first action shot of the speed triple I've seen with both wheels on the ground. ;)
haha, yeah.. I may get there someday, but I'm not too antsy to do so at this point. I'm happy with two wheels down, and everyone around me is safer because of it. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'll be honest, I just find my Speed Triple to have a fairly twitchy throttle. I still manage to bang my head back after hitting bumps sometimes. I'm getting better about keeping a lose hand, especially over rough tar.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

phiglit_missally posted:

Small light FI bikes are a lot more twitchy in general then carburated speedies from my experience.

I have found that too much slack in the throttle cables can contribute, as well as a compound problem caused by stiff arm/wrist. Try keeping loose from your shoulders down, not just your grip and wrist.
Yeah, a big part of the issue for me is that my Buell allowed my throttle control to get a little lazy. By the time I'd sold my old SV650 (which was pretty twitchy), I was pretty good, but like I said, the Buell was so relaxed, a bit of throttle jumping didn't result in an immediate jerk forward.

I've checked the throttle cable, and the play is within spec, so I think it's just that I'm still getting comfortable on the bike (only had it for two and half months, one of which it's been in winter storage).

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

Honestly I think the Hayabusa is one of the ugliest sport bikes on the market. It just looks so bloated and oafish and swollen. I mean, yeah crazy-fast and all, but wow. Hideous.
I'm with you on that. I find both the Hyabusa and the Ninja ZX-14 to be supremely ugly, especially when compared to the current generation of 1000's.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Is that brandy new tires in the snow on a really heavy bike riding two-up?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Tsaven Nava posted:

Yes. This very fact should make you think long and hard about your sexual orientation.
Agreed. Just look at this pic!

I mean.. c'mon... c'maaaaaaaaaaahn..

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

kylej posted:

Crossposting from SV thread

My second bike. :)
Nice SV! How are you enjoying the carb -> EFI switch? Any noticeable difference?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

kylej posted:

Thanks! You mean performance wise? Not enough for a scrub rider like me to feel. I will never ever go back to carbs just because of how nice it is to not worry about warming the motor up before moving. I keep scaring myself whenever I let off the throttle while the bike is cool. On my little Ninja I had to get the revs up to prevent the motor from stalling. Now I start and go.

In a way it feels easier to ride than the Ninja. The extra weight makes holding a line in a corner a pleasure. Only thing I really have to get used to is staying gentle on throttle inputs. I have a heavy hand after flogging the 250 for many miles. My current sloppy shifting brings me back to the days of learning to drive a stick shift.
How's the engine braking? My SV (carbed) had one metric shitton of engine braking, and if I didn't pay attention, I would be balls-on-tank very quickly.

Yeah, I love EFI for that reason. No more revving up because of the choke, just start it up, give it 15-30 seconds, and off you go. My Buell could be a little bit temperamental when it was real cold, but my Triumph seems to not mind.

Regarding the slopping shifting... that's.. tough for me too. I have a very hard time shifting smoothly from 1st-2nd in my Triumph, because it revs so quickly (and the revs drop so quickly) so it's easy to look like a dang newb. My Triumph is still a new bike though, probably less than 1000 miles on it, so I'm still learning the quirks of it.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Zool posted:

This may sound strange, but... Have you ever driven it into a marsh because you knew you wouldn't make a corner?
Hah, no, can't say that I have.. I'm curious now though, why?

And what I meant to say is that my Triumph is still a new bike to me and I've only put about 1k miles on it, it sounded brand new the way I said it, and it's got ~4600m or so.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Spiffness posted:

We had a guy following us on a new Triumph 675 drive his bike into a marsh cuz he 'wasnt gunna make the corner'. There was so much stupidity there I dare not speak it all.
Thankfully, I haven't ridden it into anything, but mines a 1050 Speed Triple anyway.

Like..

Hate posted:

My new wheels. Is it wrong to love a machine as much as I do?

... this. Is yours a 2006? I feel back in love with mine today. And contrary to what I would have thought, the transition from 1st-2nd is easier/smoother when I rev first out to 8k or so. I've been shifting around 3-4k.

Here's mine from a page or two ago:

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Hate posted:

It's an '05. Picked it up with 6500kms and since those pics were taken I've installed a tail tidy. Now I'm in the market for some bar end mirrors.
Yeah, I miss the bar-ends I had on my Buell before this, I could actually see. Not so much, now.. oh hey, forearms and shoulders, still there? Yep!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

How much do they go for used? I've never seen one on a local CL.
Mine's a 2006, bought last late-summer/early fall, with 4200 miles on it, and I paid $6k or so, if memory serves. This wasn't on CL though, this was through a local wholesaler company who usually has pretty good prices.

If you're really interested in finding one, you could check out https://www.thespeedtriple.com forums, or the triumphrat.net forums, and you may be able to find one for sale locally.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Thanks for the websites. A triple is a bit too much for a first bike but I fell in love with them when the street triple first came out a few years ago before I even considered riding.
This is true. The Street triple is less ridiculous than the Speed triple, I think (haven't ridden the street), but yeah, still a bit much for a first bike. My speed is street bike # 3 for me. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Gnaghi posted:

drat I really need to get out of NJ.

Why not earplugs? I have these in my wish list from the bike gear thread.
While I'm sure those are nice, would they really be that much better than the 20ct for $3.99 at your local CVS/Rite-Aid/Brooks/etc?

Actually it appears they block 3 more db than the cheapo foam ones CVS has as their house brand.

House ($1.79 for 10pair): http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=694929&productId=694929&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Howard Leight ($4.99 for 10pair): http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=456917&productId=456917&navAction=jump&navCount=3

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I have a wireless controller for my iPod that I got for like $15. Pretty nice for turning the music down in traffic - and I already have those Etymotics :(
Unfortunately, Etymotic discontinued the best tips, which were the tan (I think?) expanding foam tips, which really blocked the most sound. The dark expanding foam ones they replaced them with suck balls, lower density foam, etc.

A Duck! posted:

How's the hearing with them in during traffic? I've been thinking about one of those J&M Bluetooth helmet kits, but I really don't like the receiver hanging off the side of the helmet. Running a cord down into my jacket isn't that bad for ear buds I guess.
Depends on the tips (I have the same ones), but if the music is off, you can hear well enough. If the music is on, not so much.. but I end up using my mirrors more. Realistically, for me, depending on the bike/your helmet, you can't hear anything at speed anyways. I keep my phone in the front pocket in my jacket, so I can usually find A volume switch.. though sometimes it's only the 'up' button, which sucks.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

AncientTV posted:

This site has a huge range of foam replacement tips for various ear buds. I have a set on my Hifiman RE2s (the best earbuds money can buy under $100, IMO), and they're both very comfortable and block out just as much sound as foam earplugs.
Hmmmm.... those do look like the same good foam the original plugs used. Thanks a lot, I've been stretching my last pair for all they're worth.

edit: actually, it doesn't look like they have replacements for the ER-6i. :(

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 23, 2011

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

KenMornignstar posted:

I bit it on a Katana 750. It was a case of WAY too much power too early in the game. I do like the naked bikes Ducati makes and I like to looks of the Aprilia Shiver as well.

Like I said I'm not closed off to all bikes but cruisers. Just have no desire yet to ever get on a sport bike again.
Like others have said, as you gain experience (and confidence) on your bike, you may find you end up changing your mind. With a first impression like that though, it's easy to understand why you shy away from them. No one in here would recommend you a 4-cylinder, 100hp bike as your first bike, much less hopping on one with no experience. Unfortunately, I know a lot of people with the 'just hop on and give 'er sum!' attitude, and it rarely works out as intended.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

And here's my two fiddy, hanging out in the woods behind my house. :)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

House Party 4 posted:

I took it out on the highway yesterday. Wow. Wind is a force to be reckoned with and I won't be passing many cars. Then again, I don't think I'll be doing 10 over the limit like I'm used to in my car.
As others have said, just takes a little getting used to. You probably can't sit back in quite as relaxed a position as you might normally, so you just have to figure out how much you have to lean forward to compensate for the extra wind. This is an instance where the naked sportsbike has a leg up on a cruiser, as the natural riding position on a sportsbike is leaning forward slightly, whereas your bike might tend to have you more upright. So, if you're sitting on the highway upright, you're probably having to hold onto the bars to keep you from being blown off. Try leaning forward a bit and see if that helps. The force of the wind definitely takes some getting used to, but once you're set, you'll be comfortable.

I will say that the wind force at 80mph or so can be quite strong, and it's actually making me consider selling my Speed Triple for a faired bike (BMW K1200S, preferably) for more comfortable highway riding.

That being said, passing (or being passed by) an 18-wheeler can still be a bit of an eye-opener. The amount of air those things displace is pretty amazing.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

infraboy posted:

Dunlops in good shape, can't wait to replace them with some Pilot Road 3s though. Chain is new, still has the factory grease on there.

You probably have already, but I'd check that front tire pressure. I had those same Dunlops on my Buell, and they started having ridges on the outside of that center line of tread. Basically, I was running them at way lower PSI than I should have, so they were cupping/flattening out more than they should have, and wearing funny. The resulting wear was high spots on the tread where you wouldn't think it'd be, indicated in red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

infraboy posted:

I'll look into it! I guess I should have checked it as soon as I got home, previous owner didn't use the bike much for a while so it's very possible the tires lost a few PSI.
Yeah, it's likely, but it may also be a by-product of that particular tread design. All I know is that what when I swapped out those Dunlops for correctly-psi'd Pilot Powers, my Buell felt as nimble as a 250. Tire pressure, it makes a difference! :eng101: