Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Here's my only bike at the moment.
1973 CB350F. Bought this January for $260. I think from the shape of it that it was beat to hell for around 10 years, parked in a garage for 25 then sold to me to put back to right. A bunch of money, time and elbow grease later and it looks like this.

I lucked out and bought a near mint parts bike that had suffered a carb fire for another $250. Basically after I cleaned and put everything back together the best I could with the old parts, I buy this new bike that has near perfect chrome, paint, engine, gauges, the works. Everything came back off and the new stuff went on after a thorough cleaning and polishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

rope kid posted:

:drat:

Those are some nice old bikes. How difficult were the restorations? Any before/after pics?

I have some before pics around somewhere I'll have to dig up. Picture the bike with rust drat near everywhere, flat tires, an ugly sissy bar and 25 years worth of dust and dirt.

Putting it back together wasn't all that hard, just super time intensive. All of the painted parts are original (from the parts bike) so there was no need for that at least.
I don't even want to think of how many hours of cleaning and polishing went into it, but I would put it over 100 hours easily. Money wise, maybe $1000 or a bit more all together.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

What does everyone think of the Ninja 650s? I love the look of them (the old ones with the red parts even more than the new), but I've never taken one for a ride. It seems to be the almost perfect bike from what I've read. Quick, narrow, handles well, very practical etc.

I'm going to be I moving to SoCal this fall and will be looking for a new bike. The 650 is just about tops on my list. That is if I don't give in to my impractical lust for the new 600RR.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Hamelin posted:

(except for where a goddamn mouse in my Dad's garage gnawed on my gas cap... what the hell)

A mouse tried to eat your gas cap? That is a "what the hell!" if I ever heard one.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I had an 02 F4i for about a year and I really didn't think it was a very comfortable bike. It was fast and handled well but the riding position was just not right for me. I would usually take my Ninja 250 if I was going on anything over half hour ride.