Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
1966 Yamaha YDS3. Its a 250cc two stroke and I just finished bringing it back to life after 24 years parked in a garage. Its a blast to drive and the plumes of smoke keep away tailgaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

rope kid posted:

:drat:

Those are some nice old bikes. How difficult were the restorations? Any before/after pics?

Thread detailing my adventures here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2839024

Wasn't too bad. Took me around 3 months of on and off work. I was blessed with a bike that had decent paint and only a little rust and pitting. The pistons and rings were also solid and the shifter and clutch worked as well. The most time consuming work involved finding information and parts, cleaning everything including the gas tank, restoring the seat, and screwing with the carbs, seals and points.

Edit: The worst part is waiting for parts to come in. I'm a pretty focused guy when I work on a project and I like to get one thing done before starting on another. This is almost impossible when you're waiting for parts. I ended up having to immediately start working on something else on the bike when I got stuck needing a part.

8ender fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 7, 2008

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

webwench posted:

Me and my R1150GS, only 123,000 miles now ;)

I have to ask because I've met a few other BMW owners but is it common to ride these things well past 100k? A friend of mine has an 80's BMW that hes put well over 190k on and it just keeps on going.

I ask because in the future I might be looking for a nice touring bike that I'll be comfortable with for a long time.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

webwench posted:

I'd say it's common, the boxer engines especially have that reputation for longevity, as long as they're maintained reasonably. I'd recommend it.

Were there any lightweight ones made in eighties - early nineties? Those are all around my price range. I'm a little put off by how heavy they all seem.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

webwench posted:

I don't know much about that era of BMW bikes. I will tell you that you would probably get used to the weight of whatever you end up with. I'm not a very big person, but as long as I'm not pushing mine up a hill or something, I don't even notice the weight.

Well I'd be coming from a 66' YDS3 which weighs all of 320lbs. Either way its not a pressing issue as I'm happy to rack up some experience on this vintage beauty for a while. I just think I'd like a nice touring bike that I can keep around for years and the BMWs look like a good candidate.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

blugu64 posted:

So I did what any sane person would do and rode it 50miles back home.

That first ride is pretty fun eh? I did my first ride a week ago and I was grinning like a fool and making GBS threads my pants in fear at the same time the entire ride. When I got off the bike I had been smiling the entire ride and had a few bugs stuck in my teeth.

Below is me on the first ride preparing to pussy out and go sloppy and wide on a turn

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

cheese eats mouse posted:

HAIL TO THE 2 STROKES!

SCREW YOU ATMOSPHERE

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Casao posted:

Oh god, I can actually SEE the atmosphere dying :cry:

To be fair it doesn't always smoke that much, only when its cold and grumpy or I'm giving it lots of beans. Also the smoke deters tailgaters and the elderly.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Gnomad posted:

And my present project bike. 80 XS650, with the rare 2 cycle engine option.

It'll fog up the whole neighborhodd. That ain't Seafoam folks.

A 650 two stroke twin :monocle:

That must tear your arms off when it gets in the powerband.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Nerobro posted:

It's a joke, it's not a 2 stroke ;-) Bad rings? Bad valve guides?

Gnomad, nice toys over the years.

That not a funny joke. :mad: I thought Yamaha made a bonkers big displacement 2 stroke I didn't know about. My dream is crushed :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Although looking at it again, I have to reconsider exactly how old that bike is. The side mounted shocks and whatever other visual cues there are make it seem like an older bike than it actually is.

I really like it. This bike seems to combine all the cues from old and new bikes that I like into a sweet little package. Its on my list now. How are they to work on?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Malpenix Blonia posted:

I think I know why by bike seems to have been running rich.

Haha I think thats a cut up mattress topper on the left.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Its a bit like a bottle rocket though, as the powerband is so high in the revs and so short, it comes on strong though, and it pulls harder than my CB750 did.

Mine is like this. Hill starts are hilarious.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

eknomf posted:

I just picked up this (71 Yamaha RT1, 6k miles) as my first bike about a week ago:

Thats a lovely bike. If you have any questions about 60's - 70's Yamaha two strokes feel free to ask myself or Phat_Albert. He owns a 70's 350 RD and I have a 60's 250 YDS3.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Bean_ posted:

I've been working on it for about a week to no avail, so I guess you could call this my project. Today I swapped an different engine into it, to see if it was an engine problem (as small troubleshooting has really gone nowhere). Tomorrow I think I might redo everything but with a different carburetor. I will get this thing running. I need it to commute!

I would wager a big piece of something has lodged itself in the main jet in the carb. Open it up and clean it out. For good measure, get some new fuel line and an in-line fuel filter regardless of whether or not it was the carb.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

considering i had previously relined the tank

I would suggest you get an inline filter and keep an eye on it. Could be your tank lining coming off.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i have one, and it's POR15. i thought that stuff was indestructible.

Well thats a different story, thought you might have used Kreem or something like that. Either way keep and eye on it and make sure something isn't delaminating or breaking apart somewhere.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

French Canadian posted:

So what might be a good method of obtaining proper hardware be?

Try a hydraulics shop. I was searching high and low for a banjo used in the fuel system of my 66 Yamaha and the local hydraulic shop had every type of banjo imaginable with all sort of coatings.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

In the off chance he is in the Vancouver area, I can recommend Pacific Fasteners.

Or if he is near London Ontario I recommend Facca Fasteners.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Forgot to post this. This is my newest project, a 1977 Kawasaki KZ650. Picture below of when I first got it. Since then I've gotten a new tank and managed to get it started.

77 Kaw + 67 Yammy = Friends 4 life

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

You'll learn to love the socket cap screw section of your local hardware store soon enough.

When I was doing my YDS3 I just gave up and bought those variety boxes of stainless socket cap and hex bolts.

Also an impact driver is a must for getting screws off yamaha bikes. Using either an impact wrench or twisting them by hand will result in tears. The impact driver is a nice middle ground.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

NVaderJ posted:

I used standard Duplicolor automotive enamel spray, five coats with light sanding between, and several coats of clear, followed by a wet sand, rubbing compound and polishing. The bedliner is supposed to handle gas drips better than most paint (we'll see I guess).

You did a great job on that bike.

Mind going into more detail on the painting process? I'm also attempting to Duplicolour spray bomb route and I'm just laying down the first coats. I'd like to know how you ended up with such a nice result.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Those newer GS500s actually look really nice

I was thinking the same thing so I looked them up and the specs aren't bad as well. Its a nicely rounded bike.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

President Beep posted:

Thanks!

It's heavy, it sits almost ridiculously high and compared to most modern machines it's a pooch, but it'll always have a special place in my heart.

I don't find my KZ sits particularly high, maybe those rear shocks are a little large?

Also, here is my KZ. Its currently looks like poo poo, but mechanically its a tank. I also finally found a matching tank instead of the SR tank.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

President Beep posted:

Also, I read your thread about restoring that particular kz and I found it most entertaining. I sure don't think it looks like poo poo!!

You should see it now. The tank is still red but various other bits are freshly painted green and some primered. My friends are calling it the Christmas bike :(

Also I found the ride height pretty sane. I recently put new rear shocks on and I measured the old ones in at 13" eye to eye. Its actually lower than my 66' YDS3. That bike has height rivaling some dual sports.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

deadbeet posted:

2009 Triumph Scrambler.

They really need to make more bikes with the huge fuckoff side pipes like they did in the 60-70s. Its such a nice look.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

McCheese posted:

I paid $150.

You stole that. Maybe its the camera but that looks like its in great shape. While you've got it apart you should rattle can the tank a nice bright blue or red.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

McCheese posted:

Anyone have any tips for painting over powder coat?

Sand, primer and spray your base coat. Wet sand the base coat and then spray clear over it. Rattlecan clear is going to melt when gas touches it. If you want to get a stronger, gas proof clear coat in a rattlecan then look into something like this: http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k-high-gloss-clearcoat-aerosol.html

Once the clear is dry you'll need to wetsand with 1000-2000 grit, rubbing compound, and polish. It'll look like a professional job if you're careful and patient. I'm going through the same process right now and its frustrating at times but the end product is amazing.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

McCheese posted:

Thanks! Out of curiousity, would it be bad to use something like this for the topcoat?

I may be wrong, but the problem with a topcoat like that is that its a single stage paint and so wont be very resistant to gasoline. Another poster here put a racing stripe over his rattle can clear with bedliner, right by the gas cap, which is a clever solution.

I finished up my rattle can clear coat last week and then spilt fuel on the first ride. It just cut right through it. It was heartbreaking. I've since gotten a can of that two stage Spraymax and I'm going to give it a try. Early reports are that its tough as nails and pretty much exactly the same as a bodyshop urethane.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Also, where the hell do you find these things?

Speaking from experience once you fix up one old bike something magical happens and suddenly everyone you know has an uncle with a barn full of bikes and the classifieds fill up with ads for $100 "probably needs a carb clean" basket cases.

Usually the magic happens after you finish one and tell yourself that you're going to take a break from old bikes and just ride the ones you have.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Back in the late seventies you would be king of all the bikers having such a gigantic, finely upholstered sissy bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

Actually meant to go farther but was plagued by a mechanical problem I couldn't solve on the fly. Only made it maybe a mile from my house, but hey, its pretty!

Hey what year is that and how is it? I was thinking of fixing up a DR650 for my next project but I have no idea how the bikes are.