Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up
Me and my R1150GS, only 123,000 miles now ;)

Somewhere in New Mexico:

US 129

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

8ender posted:

I have to ask because I've met a few other BMW owners but is it common to ride these things well past 100k?

I'd say it's common, the boxer engines especially have that reputation for longevity, as long as they're maintained reasonably. I'd recommend it.

webwench
Jan 15, 2004

won't shut up

8ender posted:

Were there any lightweight ones made in eighties - early nineties? Those are all around my price range. I'm a little put off by how heavy they all seem.

I don't know much about that era of BMW bikes. I will tell you that you would probably get used to the weight of whatever you end up with. I'm not a very big person, but as long as I'm not pushing mine up a hill or something, I don't even notice the weight.

Z3n posted:

I find it ironic that BMW has this reputation, considering that most motorcycles will easily rack up that sort of distance when maintained correctly. It's more than BMW riders don't tend to wad the poo poo out of their bikes on a regular basis.

I suspect there's a lot of truth to that :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

where you been all this time? we need more adv types posting ride reports here.

I've posted some ride reports on advrider, but never posted one here. We're going up into Canada in September, maybe that'll be my first goon ride report.