Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Girlfriend bought a Honda Elite for tooling around our college town on. I rode it and fell in love with two wheels causing me to buy my first bike. Later I replaced the engine in it after getting a parts scooter for $150. She sold it about a month ago. :(

First bike, 2001 Suzuki GS500. Put 20k and one accident on it. Sold it to a friend of mine whos now learning to ride with it. Graduated college and got a job that pays me too much so I bought:

2007 CBR600RR. Since that picture I've put frame sliders and 5k miles on it. Girlfriend bought me an exhaust for it for our anniversary which has been sitting in the closet for the last two weeks because I'm lazy. I don't ride it nearly as much as I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Figure I might as well post the two crappy pictures I took of my new Triumph Speed Triple.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cricket eater joe posted:

I've decided to make a tradition out of Halloween. Every October I am going to get a new bike to celebrate, needless to say the wife is not pleased.

Here's a for real picture the wife took lately of me out riding.

And here's my daughter looking metal as gently caress and ready to go ride.

I really never give anyone poo poo for riding without gear because I do enough stupid poo poo on a motorcycle already so it would be pretty hypocritical, but Jesus Christ you have a toddler, at least if I die I'll only be leaving behind a pet millipede. Please stop being an idiot and consider why everyone is giving you crap. Hopefully before you get killed in an accident that a helmet would have saved you in and your daughter has to grow up without a dad.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

Hold on, you have a pet millipede? Tell us more.

Yeah man. They are like fifteen bucks at PetCo and live around 8 years. Best pet ever:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's okay to be jealous.

Nice lack of boots or pants you squid. :colbert:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

dietcokefiend posted:

Would taking away some of the fairings from my zx600 cause any problems? The lower fairing that wraps around the exhaust headers and kinda focuses air at the radiator is the one I am talking about. Some of the mounting tabs on the plastic were hosed already and the less plastic the better.

This should probably be followed up on in one of the questions threads if you have more questions, but other than a possible lack of support between the two side fairings (take the thing off and see if they wobble) theres really not any reason to remove fairing pieces if you want to.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Finally got myself a DRZ400SM. 2006 with 1825 miles. Got a great deal because its running rich and I walked in with a stack of $100s. It backfires like mad when I let off the throttle, which with the Yoshi exhaust its hilariously awesome. I'll enjoy it until this weekend when I can work on it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Are you positive its rich? Popping on decel is usually a lean symptom.

Good to know, I haven't dealt with carbs in a long time so I will defer to your knowledge. Will likely post about the symptoms in the questions thread later today.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

Its the cloudy skies.

I was gonna say the billboard sized license plate.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

hedgiejugglr posted:

Not that lane splitting is legal here in Oregon, but the mere idea of it is rather frightening. There is too great a chance someone won't see you and change lanes into you or catching a review mirror to the face.

I honestly don't think I could survive commuting in California without lane splitting. Its actually one of the major negatives on my list for deciding whether to move to Portland. If you do it safely and intelligent speeds and speed differences its not very scary at all, and quite a few people (including the Hurt report) claim its actually safer than not doing it during stop and go traffic. Personally I'd rather be sideswiped by a car than crushed between two of them when someone doesn't stop in time behind me. It also frees up space for cars, decreasing traffic for everyone. Theres definitely a reason its considered normal to the rest of the world outside the USA.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Some glamor shots from the fall. I think I've posted some of these before but deal with it.

props to my photographer buddy Andy!

You should probably avoid the San Jose area of California because I WILL steal your bike if I see it. Ridiculously hot. Do you have bigger versions?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Thanks for the compliments. Take a look at the whole gallery. If you are interested in a few in a larger size I'm sure I can get them for you

http://www.andyaardema.com/gallery/6284417_J8w9v#396342409_7pVgP

I'd really just like:

as a wallpaper for my vertical monitor.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

MourningGlory posted:

I just bought some, but I've convinced myself I'm going to screw up the install. Are there any secrets to putting this stuff on properly?

I had no problems installing it and I managed to put a hole in my gas tank reattaching fairings once. Its really not that hard.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

The fairings on your drz that attach with dzus fasteners?

One of the radiator fins that attaches to the gas tank. I put the wrong screw in, it was too long and drilled right into the tank. :(

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

Well, it isn't, if you don't mind buying non-OEM pieces.

JTS, why aren't you going to the track, what with all your wheelie/stoppie/kneedragging shenanigans? There's fewer people pulling out randomly in front of you, and last time I checked, none of them have train tracks running parallel on them.

He wasn't doing any of that stuff when get got in the accident. JTS can sometimes comes off like a bit of an idiot, but this was just an example of bad luck like any other accident. It definitely doesn't appear to be his fault either. No need to jump on him.

JTS, you should see what the insurance wants to buy it back if they total it. I'm in your area and depending on the damage might be want to buy it off them if its not too badly messed up and you don't want it. Are the forks actually bent or just twisted in the triple clamps?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

BlueBayou posted:

Won't have my hands on it for a while, but I'm excited. Anyone in the SF Bay Area want to go for a ride?

I'm down in San Jose if you're in my area, always down for new riding buddies. Also the BARF Annual Newbie ride is next weekend, definitely a great way to meet people to ride with in the Bay area:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287719

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Gnaghi posted:

Well I'm in it now.

Traded the buell for it on Saturday, 2006 Husqvarna SMR 450 with 1200 miles. The thing is a total beast and agility is off the scale. Lucky for me a dealer is only 30 min away, so I'm gonna drop it off for a general look-over and valve clearance check before I do any real riding. It felt really alien for all of 20 minutes (weird seating and really tall), but I'm warming up to it. I'm gonna take it slow so I don't end up upside down on top of a building or something. I have the MSF advanced in a couple months, so I can show up with it and get some pointers hopefully.

Man I'm jealous of you. Once I've got a garage and can actually keep up with the ridiculous maintenance on a bike like that I'm trading in my DRZ.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Well I bought it. 2001 CBR 929. Walked away for $2500. Probably a bit high, but the bike is in amazingly good shape and I'm a horrible negotiator so I'm happy I talked him down a couple hundred. Has a few go fast bits including a Power Commander and a Yoshi pipe on it thats surprisingly quiet, though my standards might be screwed up because of my DRZ's ridiculous exhaust. The discolored stuff on the tank that I initially thought was a dent repair is one of the POs trying to paint over the original yellow "wings" rather badly.

Dude had a complete set of OEM fairings for another $700 that I'm sort of considering. Leaning towards leaving it in beater bike form and just making a few changes to make it more comfortable like Risers, lower rear sets, etc. This is officially my "commuter bike".

Ride home was hilarious. Couldn't get into my storage unit this morning so I had to take the gear I had lying around the apartment, meaning my dirtbike-style helmet. Its been pouring rain here and the ride home was 45 minutes in traffic, including the bay bridge with high winds, so I got completely soaked. Didn't get to have much fun because of the weather. Seriously, rain hitting your face at 100mph hurts like a motherfucker. On the plus side, I'm also sick as hell and having my face soaking wet meant I couldn't tell when my nose was running so I never got that annoying need to rub my nose but can't because of a helmet feeling.

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, iPhone + shivering hands does not the best photo make.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 24, 2010

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

100mph traffic in the rain!? California, what will you do next?

What about that is confusing to you? Ooooooh you must not have seen the post I made about what happened to my last CBR.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Watommi posted:

I may have put a picture of my Scrambler in the Triumph Classics thread, but I don't think I've ever posted it here.

It's not the fastest, most comfortable, or most capable, but god drat I love this motorcycle.

Not gonna lie, a murdered out Scrambler like yours is probably my personal best looking motorcycle. If I had the cash to spare and didn't completely abuse and beat to poo poo everything I owned I'd pick one up in a minute.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

I'm not going to say that the rectangular headlight is ugly, but I would say it's hideous.

http://trailtech.net/x2.html

poo poo they have a kit for the DRZ. Yet another thing I'm gonna end up spending money on...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
A real motorcycle touring setup looks like this:

:colbert:

:colbert:

Yes, my bike is that fuzzy in real life.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Gnaghi posted:

When I take my bike off the stand I just sit on the bike, stick my foot in front of the stand wheel, and push it forward. Pops the stand off easy.

I do this but I also have the bike turned on and the engine revved to 10k.

Note: Don't actually do this

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

bung posted:

I finally took some proper pictures of the Hypermotard.

Good christ I wish that bike had real supermotard style suspension. Its seriously the sexiest looking thing on two wheels.

Edit: My CBR's tires are square now cause all I do on it is ride 100 round trip to work a few days a week. Need to put new rubber on it before track season.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
ITS ALIVE

Fixed carb, replaced tail-light, new sliders/levers/mirror, cracked subframe

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

We get this I guess

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/cbr250r.aspx

Holy crap, when did Honda decide to sell a 250 in the US market? Bout drat time we got more small bikes over here. Need to start paying better attention to moto news.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
The 929 is finally rideable and 95% legal. Bonus points if you can figure out what the missing 5% is. Thing is ugly as hell and fast as piss. Massively more planted with the rebuilt forks. Definitely need to get a steering dampener though. Putting wheelies down is a bit unnerving.

Also, bleeding brakes sucks.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 11, 2011

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Actually does have a horn, stuck a ridiculously loud one on yesterday. You can sorta see it in the first picture between the forks, to the right of the wire-loom-tumor. The license plate light, lack of mirrors, and the 2010 registration sticker cause I seem to have misplaced the 2011 one somewhere in all my moving the last few months.

Are reflectors required in CA? I'm kind of aiming to have the world's first completely legal ratbike.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Are the headlights DOT approved?

The bottom one is off a 999 so probably. The highbeam I've no clue. And yeah, theres no way to rebuild a bike to complete letter of the law specs.

orthod0ks posted:

The 2 up seat looks weird without the tail fairing.

The best part is the seat doubles as a trunk and has a locking mechanism. But you can just reach in and pop it open without using the key. Need to fab up something to cover stuff so my Power Commander doesn't disappear one day and to prevent rain from soaking everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

epix posted:

Wasn't planning at all at picking up another DR650 (already have a '96 with supermoto setup and offroad wheelset) but this one has 1/3 the miles and was in pristine condition. Came with a folder full of reciepts and aftermarket goodies that total more than the cost I paid for the bike.

Thinking winter time I'll be swapping over pieces from my old one to this one and sell the 96 come tax return season.

Thank goodness that dorky rear end top box and screen are easily removable!

This is the best looking motorcycle I've ever seen, and you own two of them. I am jealous.