Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

dokuja posted:

My first bike:

2007 Ninja 250. I've put almost 10k on it and still love it. Unfortunately, I crashed it a few months ago, but it's running again sans fairing and will be ready for my first track day on the 19th.

I also have a 2007 Ninja 250. I got it about a month ago, I think, with only 1800 miles, now up to 3000ish.

My first track day at Willow Springs Int'l Raceway last weekend. Went with a lot of San Diego Hypercycles/Buymoto people.

The centerstand was dragging on left turns when I pushed it. The peg feelers got ground down a bit, too. Still no knee-dragging, either =[

Oh god how did I get here I am not good with tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Simkin posted:

It looks like you're still trying to keep yourself centered on the bike too much. It does look like you have your lower half off the bike - that's good - but you also need to be looking past where your wing mirror would be. Also, if all else fails, just go faster - I found that the reason I was having such trouble touching down my knee pucks was that I was going too slow to warrant being that far off the bike.

That's what my friend told me after he followed me on the track for a bit. I should lean the upper part of my body off the bike more, although I'm not sure if this will get my knee down farther. It felt better after I followed his advice, as well. But after a few hard bits scraped the ground, I became leery of leaning any farther. My crappy stock tires did have about a 1/4 inch of lean left on them, so next time out, when I come prepared with new rearsets and removed centerstand, it should be easier.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Well, my dad brought home a 2007 Yamaha TW200, looking much like this one, considering it's all stock.

I weigh 135lbs and got it to top out at about 80mph but the thing was quite loud and buzzy. At slower speeds, maybe anything below 50 it is very quiet and comfortable and docile. Interestingly, it has very stiff rear suspension and as such can support my dad's considerable weight of 250lbs. All you have to do is air up the tires according to spec.

I rode it pretty aggresively on some trails and fireroads and it ran pretty well, but the stiff shock does become noticeable, especially when combined with the very soft forks. The fat rear tire is quite useful for soft stuff, although it seemed similar in terrain-grabbing ablity to my XR400, but I reckon that is due to the power difference. If this thing had a narrow tire, it wouldn't do nearly as well, so the fat tire helps make up for things like that.

I think it is a very good bike for heavy short folk, but it's also nice for taller people because you can flat foot and manhandle it as much as you want, and the lock-to-lock radius is very very large, which is awesome for tight trails. I can't really think of a better bike for doing slower paced technical riding. It reminds me very much of the Yamaha Fatcat of the 80s.

There are dudes on ADV who really like it, and you can get a rack for the back, bigger footpegs, a pipe, and someone makes a pretty tall windscreen as well. Lots of people seem to go offroad touring on it without much issue. The only reason for needing a bigger bike really is when you hit freeway or long stretches of road and need to make up some time. I think I'd like this bike for a trip if I knew I wouldn't hit much pavement at all.

Some fuel info: 78mpg and 1.8L tank not including the .45L reserve. A decent range I think.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 26, 2008

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

bung posted:

A guy who posts at one of the moto boards I read claims that it is the only bike one would ever need. :rolleyes:

The main reason I can see this being not true is that if you're skilled enough you can probably handle a bigger bike with decent suspension and more power. It's just that the TW200 seems to carry its own insurance against crashing or running into trouble.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

If anyone hates the windscreen on their Ninja 250, I just installed the super sport version of a windshield made by some guy named Mike. I'm about 5'8" and was expecting dead silence while sitting up but it isn't and miraculous as I'd hoped. I think that level of quiet is pretty much impossible without having something much bigger to get the wind entirely over my head.

Still, I believe it is much quieter and the wind doesn't hit the underside of my helmet anymore, only the top. Plus, if I crouch down about half way it is in fact devoid of head-on wind noise. I used to have to touch my head to the gas tank and even then it didn't kill the noise entirely.

It was only $36 and he basically takes a piece of Lexan and drills some holes in it. The only difficult part about installing the thing was that the little factory grommets which the small windshield screws thread into fall out very easily upon trying to reinsert the screws, so you should shove a rolled up piece of paper towel behind the grommets if possible, but make sure you can get at it once the windscreen is installed.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

It's like the designers were ahead of the time with the way they sculpted the tail-fairing. It's very unboxey and sleek looking.

Although looking at it again, I have to reconsider exactly how old that bike is. The side mounted shocks and whatever other visual cues there are make it seem like an older bike than it actually is.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 23, 2008

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

What kind of fancy XR is that? I didn't think they had updated the headlight assembly very much. That looks kind of like a KLR now. My XR400 is more boxey and without fender flares (it's air cooled).

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I just installed Galfer stainless steel brake lines on my Ninja EX250 and they are pretty awesome and I recommend everyone get them. For lines and pads (EBC sintered HH up front, organic kevlar in back) it's about $150 and the difference is pretty awesome especially when braking hard. They are pretty easy to install if you've never done it, too. The Ninja250.org faq is pretty thorough but it wouldn't hurt to have someone knowledgeable there to help out.

Edit: Seems a lot of people hate Galfer lines but they came recommended (in part because that's all there is for the 250) by the Ninja250.org website. So take that as you will.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 4, 2008

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Well gently caress. I guess I have to watch it closely or replace the bolts with another brand.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

So what might be a good method of obtaining proper hardware be?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

8ender posted:

Or if he is near London Ontario I recommend Facca Fasteners.

I'm in San Diego. So I presume there will be a marine store around somewhere.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Haha holy crap. A matching pair of Honda Reflexes for $3000. They have really low miles, too.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/mcy/830619439.html

I wonder how these would compare to something like a Yamaha TW200. I suppose they'd be more unrefined, but pretty awesome for around town stuff.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My friends and I did a two-day corner working/free riding session for Keith Code's California Superbike School (in all of it's wacky Scientology glory). Everyone at the school was nice though, save perhaps for Code who people say is a dick. The students all rode ZX-6Rs or whatever those fancy Kawasaki 600s are and there are coaches on identical bikes seeded through the groups giving pointers and leading them around. I sat at corner four of Streets of Willow and got to radio in poor riding technique during drills and also got to flag a lowside that happened at my corner.

Me on my Ninja EX250

Click here for the full 1024x753 image.

Me at my station all alone (though I got to see the rotating corner worker when it was her turn to take my place)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

My friend on an R6

Another friend on a GSX-R 600

Another friend on a GS500 getting ready to blow by a student

One more friend on an R6

Here is a video of me scraping peg around turn 2. I think this was a three gear light brakes drill. In order to mesh with the students during riding sessions we had to perform the drills as they did which was pretty nice since I got to learn some stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdOY3FKP-0

Unfortunately there were some students who were slightly clueless and slow as gently caress but since I didn't want to gently caress up and piss off the school I exercised my passing very cautiously and the fact that they would get on the throttle of their new ZX-6Rs on straights right after I caught them through corners didn't help either.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

huplescat posted:

Seriously considering an upgrade in the next 6-12 months, it's a great little creature in general, but runs out of steam very quickly on hills.

Just rev it to the moon. I do that on mine (idential red one, but stateside) and it works fine, but I only weigh 132lbs. If you're so inclined, a few mods can make it a really quick bike on the track. Some stainless brake lines, new Pirellis, rearsets and remove the kickstand and center stand and it corners quite well.

That's actually a lot of poo poo for a 250. So maybe you shouldn't do that but I plan to since I can't afford a new bike anyway and still want to go faster on the track. I've got everything 'cept the rearsets so far.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

I always thought the Ulysses would be a good alternative to a BMW adventure bike, at least for street riding. It sounded like a well handling bike from the all the initial reviews, but that there were some teething issues. Did you read up on what had been fixed over the past few years it's been out?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Woot I had my first crash today on my Ninja 250. I tucked the front end after making a slightly aggressive right turn on a damp morning on cold tires that I think hit some slippery oil poo poo. Wouldn't have happened had I been more mindful of all these factors. Snapped a footpeg in half, rashed up my yoshimura pipes, scuffed a wee bit of fairing, grazed front axle, but that was mostly it. Pretty pissed off since now I can't say it's never been crashed when I go to sell it and people will shy away even though the damage is superficial quite honestly.

I was wearing full gear fortunately, else I would have screwed up my knee, wrist, and thigh. And that was at only 20mph, too. My god...

Helmet was untouched too, which makes me happy.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Simkin posted:

If anyone is expecting a second-hand beginner bike to not have any crash damage, they are either delusional, or buying a new bike.

Actually it's a third-hand bike. I think I've been the roughest owner its had so far. Rough, but with respect (Vegas track day coming up yessss).

I am trying to find replacement footpegs. I see these and similar here but both specify fitment for model years earlier than mine, which is an '07. My bike is also weird in that they call it a 250R, in that the EX250 designation ended in 2006 but I still share what I think are mostly identical parts. Internet searching is difficult because of this. I will probably call up a local place and maybe they can sort it out, at least. Unless someone here knows that there really is no difference across the board for the most part.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

sklnd posted:

After, no plastics!

I have the same bike and saddlebags. Is there a strap that is supposed to run between the two bags, underneath the tail section? I see some clips for something like that but my bags didn't seem to come with it.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

My dad just finished up his newest project, a 1997 DR650. Bought a discontinued, leftover fairing from Britannia Composites and mounted it. Fancy-pants carb, full exhaust, giant brake rotor that promotes front wheel washouts in sand, TKC80s, gps, Trailtech computer, Cogent Dynamics shock, eibach'd forks, scotts damper, rebuilt engine, and other bits of yellow and black.

He made me take it for the first actual ride, and it wheelies pretty good. Some buffeting on my dirtbike helmet at 60+ but quite nice overall.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryTWMW/DR650Rebuild03

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 23, 2010

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

This looks really nice. I'd like to eventually rig up a windshield setup like that on my DRZ. Does it mount to the forks or does it solid mount to the frame?

It's attached to the forks, so it turns with the handlebars. All of the cables and stuff moving around looks kind of unwieldy, but nothing seems to snag or catch.

More pictures...

http://picasaweb.google.com/GaryTWMW/DR650Rebuild03

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Welcome to my world of pain!

The best information source for these bikes has been the advrider thread. They're great bikes, but mine has been suck in my driveway for months, because of a carburetion issue that I can't figure out.

I seafoamed my ninja after it sat for a few months and that more or less fixed all the rough idle/stalling/lagging issues. Put some in the crank case, some in the gas tank, and sucked a bunch up through the smaller fuel line off the petcock, then I let it sit overnight and all was well. Of course, I've let it sit for several weeks yet again so it might run like poo poo now.