Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My first bike was a Honda CB 100. I miss it. :( This is an older version but mine didn't look much different apart from being black.

Current ride and first proper bike, Suzuki GSX 750 ES.

Originally it looks like this

I have removed the fairing for naked vanity, mounted an aftermarket headlight and a 12 volt cigarette lighter type socket for the gps. No plans for further modification other than various invasive maintenance to keep it running well and to teach me the mechanic magic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I expected way more SV650s. Do they have a thread of their own?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's National Geographic nudity, doesn't count. (or maybe it does, I saw an Egypt doc from PBS - they had censored a 4000 year old graffiti showing the pharaoh with a boner)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Ola has his GS750ES (neuterd)

GSX :colbert:

Full model name can now be GSX750ESN, N for neutered. :D

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Very nice bike sigtrap! The BMW dealer is just a few blocks away from me, I have been leaving puddles of drool next to the F800ST for some time. I don't think I can afford a new bike right now...but if I buy anything, it is that one.

What options did you get? If you got the bags, are they good?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

hoho`win posted:

I turn the ignition on, a tried the electric start. Nothing happened. I noticed the headlight, taillight, and neutral light were incredibly dim, and the horn wouldn't work. I then tried several times to kick start the bike, it wasn't locked, but wouldn't start. I checked the battery and after charging it to 12v, the bike started fine. But while it was running the battery was near 11v. This is about all the info I have. Any advice, however general, would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds exactly like mine when the charging system poo poo a brick, so you're probably right about it being an alternator problem. It won't start with kicking because the spark simply isn't strong enough. A multimeter and an hour of googling should provide a great troubleshooting procedure.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

R-Type posted:

Yeah, it might be a Fischer Price Hyperbike for beginners

Yeah, 150+ hp is shamefully underpowered, add turbo kit asap... cool purchase though, how much did you have to pay?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DiZ posted:

A new picture taken by Smirk, his VTR250 on the left and my GS500 on the right.

Those naked VTR250s are just :swoon:

They're only sold in Australia, New Zealand and other Pacific atolls right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Its the cloudy skies.

And smog from the Watt engines and eel smokers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love the look of those Radians. Maybe not the square headlight, but otherwise it's great. All the V-Maxes are huffing and puffing at the gym thinking they look great but actually the girls prefer the smooth, stylish and fit Radian. Hah!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat, sorry dude. Looks like a textbook crash really. Good weather, dry, 60 kph zone, dumb driver that doesn't look and unlucky but smart rider that wore gear and escaped with bruises.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rolling down the road laughing. :raise:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Those are the first flames on a bike I've seen that I don't hate. Subtle, if that's the right word. Factory flames?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

You'll learn to love the socket cap screw section of your local hardware store soon enough.

Haha, same goes for Suzuki, I regularly shoot the poo poo with my guy now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

I like air/oil-cooled bikes, but if only I could find one that had efi instead of a fuel drip. :sigh:

Sure, no problem. Would you like 120 Nm of torque with your order?

GSX 1400.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Lunchb0x posted:

My first bike and i love it. Suzuki GS450

Looks very clean and well kept. That fairing should help you keep safe from traffic police and their anti-fun radars.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

After so many centuries of democratic legislation, it only takes an Austrian nutbag to break down law and order.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chairon posted:

There she is. I'm really digging my orange tank but those Mickey mouse mirrors need to go ASAP.

Black rims with orange rimtape would make a nice look.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chairon posted:

What about now, with Purple?!

Well...it's...it made me think of this, for a second.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

So I caved in and listened to the advice you guys gave me in the "Tell me what bike to buy!" thread and got this:

It's a '97 BMW R1100 R and, having just ridden it home on the Autobahn for 400 kilometers, I dare say it's awesome. :v:

That looks really cool, I love the color.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

the letter b posted:

2. I think suzuki chose the wrong colour scheme for their marketing collateral

I sort of agree, although pastel colors can be really cool. Flat black panels and red frame would look excellent, so would yellow black or Gulf colors. Basically macho color schemes would look cool, but Suzuki wanted to pitch it to a younger, hip crowd. Problem is, they're eco hippies who ride fixed gear pedal bikes, they're not going to buy an atmosphere destroyer just because the colors are all zany.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If you feel a 600 is too slow, you're probably better off with a v-twin instead of an I4. Because you're not touching the limits of the 600 and you sure as hell won't touch the limits of the 1K. The slowness is the peaky powerband, you want something with low end punch. If it needs to look like a sportbike, no problem. Tons of options.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Low end punch is not something Superbikes are lacking.

Yes it is. That's inherent to their design.

First, if so required for anyone reading this post, a primer on torque vs horsepower. http://www.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

My simple version is something like: Torque is what the piston does to the crank (force), horsepower is what the engine does to the bike (work). High torque at low rpm equals less HP compared to the same torque at higher RPM because of math. In a racing application, high RPM is a better way of delivering horsepower than high torque. You get more bang for your engineering buck when you consider weight, displacement restrictions etc.

On the track, you are always in the powerband and spinning that fucker good. In traffic, you're often just off idle. So what makes an engine feel good on the street is when you suddenly decide to give it the beans it shoots off right away. Or you're coming out of a sharp corner at fairly low speeds and roll on the throttle. That's not to say that Rossi's ride isn't a loving lightning bolt off low revs, but that engine doesn't come with the same warranty or price tag as the street version does.

My 750 I4 from 1986 has a compromised engine compared to the racers of the era. It develops peak torque at 8 500, red line is 10 000. The engineers have cut off some of the breathing potential at high revs to make a driveable zone at the bottom of the powerband so it's not a complete dog. By the limitations of carburetors and the simple ignition system, something has to give. So while 3 000 to 4 500 revs has some streetable punch (or a flathanded slap more like), torque actually drops (a real dip downward in the dyno curve) as the igntion goes to advance and the engine goes into spin-fast mode. Once the revs get near 7 000 it begins to breathe properly and the iconic "oh THERE'S the powerband" tug on the handlebars kicks in. It's similar to the Ducati 848 curve in this dyno shootout with lower numbers of course.

Check out these randomly googled dyno charts.

First a CBR600RR. The top lines is torque, I'll focus on the stock (blue) readings. This is apparently a 2007 which compared to my 1986 is a space age motor with all its fuel injection and computer ignition wizardry. Stock it's got 110 hp, which is an amazing 183 hp pr liter.

Compare this with an SV 650:

It has a tiny edge in displacement, but stock (again blue, but the bottom lines are torque in this pic) it's only got 70 hp. But compare the torque curves. Both have similar max torque values, CBR's 43 vs the SVs 45, but the CBR peaks at 11 K while the SV only at 7 K.

As mentioned above, 43 ft lbs at 11 K is more horsepower than 45 at 7 K, about 90 vs 60 in this case. But their curves cross at about 70 hp / 41 ft lbs at 9000 rpm. Below 9000 then, the SV has more power than the CBR. Of course, the CBR gets to keep spinning to over 14000 to develop more total power, but on the street you are usually below 9000.

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 11, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

He's referring to Superbikes, which are I-4's of roughly 1000cc's. Your example was of a 600cc I-4, which is a Supersport.

1000cc I-4's are absolute torque monsters, even with liquid cooling and fancy injection.

Fair enough, but my point is when people think they've "outgrown" a 600 I4 it's not because they've gotten used to the 110 hp at 11000. It's because they gotten used to the 60 hp at 8000 or maybe the 70 hp at 12000 and 3/4 throttle.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

aventari posted:

Anyone who thinks an I4 600 doesn't have enough power for the street even off-idle is a lovely rider.

Hence why so many new riders "outgrow" their 600 after 5 months.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I didn't mean to poo poo on you man. My spergpost about torque curves was just that, people who think they've outgrown 600s are likely to have more fun on a bike with more bottom end even if it had less horsepower. And they would be a lot safer, pay less insurance and less money for the bike outright compared to a shiny-knives-holy-gently caress literbike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So! *claps* Let's see... *rubs hands*

Captain Kirk:

quote:

William Shatner discovered the perils of riding a motorcycle without any protective gear, when he crashed on a highway in California.

The reckless former Star Trek star refuses to pad up and rides around the state wearing just beach clothes - even after a crash that could have killed him.

He explains, "I think leather, and helmets and protective gear is foolish, in the hot California weather. I ride with sandals and shorts and a
t-shirt.

"One time, I was driving along and the bike slide from under me, and I skidded across the two lane highway.

"I grabbed the bike hauled it up and got back on. I had to get to Los Angeles. I had a doll to take to my grandchild."

"I got back on the bike and my clothes are shredded. I realized I'm bleeding."

Unfortunately for Shatner, the image of him bloody and bruised riding a motorcycle almost naked, attracted unwanted attention from other motorists.

He adds, "People are driving up and college kids are yelling at me.

"Finally they uttered the ultimate insult, 'Beam me up Scotty,' so I gave them the finger."

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2008/04/14/william_shatner_recalls_motorcycle_crash

Jean Luc Picard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnaFMBjVv_8

No apparent motorcycle fan, but hates people talking on cell phones in cars, has taken part in heavy petting in a Jaguar but probably owns at least two Priuses (that is conjecture on my part). He gets extra points from me for the Henrik Ibsen trivia.

So who is CA's captain?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chill_Bebop posted:

Just look at that seat

Haha wow! What material / coat / paint / wizardy is that? I want a suit made out of it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love the look of Daytonas. The numbers seem to indicate the power is quite peaky. I hope I am wrong, is there bottom end / linear power like the other Triples are so famous for?

Also makes me wonder why they didn't do a 1050cc version.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat, with the fuel tank and the suspension that is pretty trick already. Looks like a great purchase unless it cost ... ? :haw:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sounds great to me!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I love that whistle (valvetrain?) the triples have, sounds almost like a supercharger.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Even when explained in detail, the only appropriate reaction is guh GUUHHH!??! :psyboom:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Imperador do Brasil posted:

My new purchase. It's my son's birthday present; he turns 4 in April. I picked it up for the princely sum of $300, running.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Wanna mail you a "World's Best Dad" coffee cup. Buy him an account so he can post in CA.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

You're awesome.

emptyquoting this

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Armacham posted:

how is that not considered cheating?

Because emissions regulations are made by retarded bureaucrats. It doesn't matter if your bike releases 1 pound of CO2 every second as long as the % isn't too high.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

drat that saddle looks fresh, comfy and pretty new. Is it all of those? In case, curse you BMW for having an active and useful aftermarket all the way back to the 80s! :argh:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cheesebot posted:

They were probably hurting their brains trying to figure out how to pronounce "BMW"

Or how to spell it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Fap.

Da-uym. :monocle:

Man. A late 70s / early 80s MX bike like Honda XR/XL or something done up as supermoto would be so sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

tarzanspuma posted:

2005 R1200ST... with only 2000 miles! If you can stomach the huge schnozz-fairing and tombstone headlight, it's a great bike. For only 7 grand, I figured I could deal with the looks.

I can indeed stomach its looks, love that bike. Seems BMW were more ambivalent, it didn't stay in the lineup for long.