Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
In it's natural enviroment, outside a mountain cabin, after a 7 hour drive with mixed gravel and asphalt. There was even a 30 min stuck in a bog session because sure that shortcut looked driveable. 1993 xl 600v honda transalp. 81k km when I got it this spring. Done about 5k km in 7-8 weeks I've had my license now. I really like it. Got it for a song, but had to spend some time on misc stuff the POs had ignored. Like missing 0,9 l of oil on a 2,6l max cap oil level, a oil flter rusted stuck, 10 year old rear tire etc etc.

And in the other natural enviroment, getting worked on

Edit: fixed links.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I'm in Norway. Yes, they really had some awesome 90s colour schemes.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Chichevache posted:

How do you like it? My MSF instructor had one and she swore by it. In fact that was the bike she recommended that I pick up, since I was looking at dual sports.

I have a '93 transalp that I've done 12k km on, and I like it a lot. Mind you it's my first bike so I don't have that much to compare it against. It's easy to work on, pretty uncomplicated and has okay power for it's size. Neglected poo poo that the POs haven't touched in 10 years are a bitch to unbolt etc, but that's all bikes. It's not the lightest dual-sport(200kg wet), and got a bit of fork dive, but handles gravel/sealed surface great according to the tires you use. Single brake disc in front until '96 I think and top speed around 130-140 km/h, but I like it better in sub 100 km/h. Stock seat is okay, but not awesome.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My dad has a 2013 super tenere. A vee bit heavy for looser/wetter surface though the tradeoff is enough power to comfortably carry a passenger with a little bit of baggage on longer rides.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

The_Raven posted:

Back on the Yamalounger for another season!

Do you have CB radio in that? Or rather, is those huge antennas just fm radio?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

More winter brappo, this time it was only -4c and I had heat pads in the shoes. It was so much better.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Me and my brother went for probably the last winter brappo this weekend. We had -5c weather, but finally the siberian cold front we've had here for the last 3 weeks got weakened. +5c and melting today.

Mine is the black one.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

New bike, 2004 Yamaha Fz6n. It's has done 28k miles. PO lost interest and had done like 4 trips the last 2 years. In his late 20s with family and renovating his house... It was pretty cheap, but it was also not pretty, has been sitting uncared for.
PO has plastidipped it matt black and used what looks like permanent marker to darken his front indicators. maybe he had a rebel/ murdered out look phaze.

Some earlier owner installed leo vince slip ons, de-catted it. I didn't see a power commander in there, but there was an mystery small connection from the battery that ran backwards under then air box that I gotta trace.
It has a tidy tail + led rear indicators and brake light. It has adjustable aftermarket levers and fot pegs that was actually ok. Bagster tank cover and solo seat cover.

I've installed heated grips and cyclops 7k lumen led light. Ordered Givi top box mount + soft side bags rails. The givi mount is on this model is not a heli landing platform, it's not that far back.

Things to do:
  • Some kinda wind defectors for the hands. I ride bikes near freezing, they help.
  • Brake fluid, looked kinda dark
  • Inquire about shop price for a valve check. It's a 24k mile item, it has not been done.
  • Change other fluids, fork oil and coolant. oil was done last year.
  • Change oil, oil filter and spark plugs because POs lie.
  • Remove all the crap plastidip.
  • order new tires, they had some wear left, but not that much, contemplate how street vs adventure I want them.
  • Replace brake lines with stainless, lookes like original rubber+fiber mesh lines.
  • Get more keys made, PO had only the red master key with the immobilizer code source..

It's pretty drat fun to ride a bike with so much rpm to work with. I've never owned a proper inline 4 before.

And gently caress fairings forever, I got proper waterproof klim gear. Clean air rules.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

lollers, spare keys are 100 usd a pop(with local tax etc) + whatever the dealer charges to code them.

Someone claims you can do the chip coding yourself http://cruiser.mototribe.com/discuss/yamaha-chipped-key.

Have anyone here done that?

Edit: there was a period in the url.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 9, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

ArcticZombie posted:

The service manual for my bike even includes instructions for coding your own keys, so it's definitely possible.

Which bike is that? It is a Yamaha right? I can probably use the same process if it's from the same era(mid 2000), as I doubt they have many different immobilizer systems.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Thank you! I found it, it's the same process as described in that webpage. I'll test it tomorrow after I get the physical keys cut at the locksmith.

Edit: Yes, worked after some fiddling. the bit about starting the engine first then waiting for the immobilizser to kick in after 30 secs was the important bit.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 13, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Renaissance Robot posted:

It's mine! £850 :toot:

Suspension is very soft

When was the fork oil changed the last time? If it's unkown change it asap. People never change it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

But I want a bike I can grow into and not get bored of.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

How much work it is installing that vs just fixing the garage door? Or is it more a former garage, now a loose collection of semi rigid lumber arranged in a box like shape?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Seasons greetings from Norway.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Studs and knobbed tires with m+s rated rubber really really helps. It's totally insane how much studs help. + we ride slow. If it's hard packed snow sole or +2 inches of snow over ice we hit maybe 25 mph. That's for me to ride safely and arrest the front from washing out randomly, which it really likes to do. Clear ice is so much better to ride on, and we may hit 50 mph. Keep in mind that you can't really stop fast either, or do fast course corrections, so I ride passive as gently caress.

My nx250 is pretty drat low and light weight also so dragging legs on real nasty places, like with slush frozen into ice ruts is no problem. I would not do this on something I couldn't flat foot on both sides easily.

It's still 100% focus, but I'm getting much more relaxed now the second winter. + that's why I dress like a snowmobiler, be varm and comfortable so you only focus on the road, not your cold everything.

I image a tw200 on studs would be pretty drat fun, sadly those are rare and overpriced here.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I'm not on your continent.

But I still got to ask, did you get the title?

Where is the seat?

How long has it been sitting?

Did you get it for free?

Did you pay more than the cheapest running bike on your local eBay/Craigslist/whatever?

How much did you spend in parts to get in running?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Then you actually got a good deal :)

Good on you!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I like it, but just why is it so heavy?

Weight (Empty Tank / Full of Fuel)497 lbs / 518 lbs (226 kg / 235 kg).

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Compared to other 1000+ cc nakeds I mean?

superduke 1290 is 200KG dry, ducati 1200 monster is 207 wet, HONDA CB1000R 212kg wet.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Phy posted:

Great ergos otherwise and I actually vastly prefer the wind situation to the dirty air off the Weestrom's windscreen. Always meant to put a shorty screen on that, now I'm sure I should have.

I experienced the same when I went from my Transalp to a fz6-n. I don't think I'll go for anything faired again unless it's totally cocooned.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Deeters posted:

Is that something like elk hide for a seat cover? Looks warm as hell.

Reindeer/caribou, its warm and nice. They may shed a little but that depends on quality and if the fur is from a summer or winter coat animal. Winter coat furs are much warmer, has longer hairs but will shed more. Elk and moose fur is is traditionally not used because if your're in the area for elk, you most likely had access to sheepskin which is far better. Reindeer Vs sheepskin is a question of how wet it is. Sheep sucks in rain, reindeer is okay.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

That's insanely mint. How's the mechanicals after sitting for so long?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Its a https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-at950-neocon-helmet-dual-lens

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Heidenau K60 /K60 Scouts, mitas e-07+, Metzeler Karoo 3, Michelin Anakee Wild/adventure, Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR.

These are all newish designed blocky tires that still have good street grip. Some are also available in m+s rating with usually higher silica content for better wet/cold grip.

Continental TKC 80 is also okay, but it's not that current any more.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

On a i4 rpm monster like my fz6n(100hp, 14k redline, 440lbs) I sit at 90kmh/55mph in 6th gear at 5k rpm. There it's at around 50 mpg. It has enough torque to handle that with me and luggage at any grade of climb.

In practice it means if I wanna cruise on some boring straight roads I just kick it up in 6th. If it's a windy narrow fjords road I play around in 3-4th to have it not be too snatchy on throttle input as 2nd would give me.

So yes 3-6 is just "how much do you wanna chill/not annoy people along the road."

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 21, 2020

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Yeah, I found my 93 alp to be able to handle anything that had been a road of some kind some time the last 20 years. Mud deeper that 8 inches /20 cm and gups/ drops lots of height difference is a little tricky because of the girth and length of it. A smaller bike handles it with less drama, but the Alps get through it with some effort.

I recommend an alu bash plate, extended gravel riding will eat through it from front tire kick up. Also helps if you beach it + you can use a center lift to service both tires easily.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Not normal Norwegian road markings, trees and the rest looks the part though. Canada?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I randomly ran into the old retired couple that bought my old transalp. She(former car mechanic) had taken care of it nicely and farkled it up more. Shaved the seat foam and reholstered it to lower it a little + lowered the left side foot peg to help with her hip problems. She bought it because her old kick started bike was becoming a pain with her hip problems. They're cool people.

They where on they way to a classic bike meet with his newly restored bmw, then some riding up north.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Norway, near Hemsedal.
Mountain pass road made in the 70s? after the ski resort got upgraded in the local valley. Further on and a little more west you got some amazing winding fast gravel brapp roads.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

And I washed it on Thursday before I put the tank cover on.

It was pretty though. Saw some snow showers rolling by at the high pass. 40f/4c with rain was the low temp point.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Brapped up to the mountain cabin. -2c/28f when we got there. New Scott d3o softcon upper armour was nice, better than my old acerbis hard shelled.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It's actually a pretty common fancy/retro camping thing here in Norway. Most bigger sporting goods store has single person sit plate size and/or full length furs with water repellant applied to the skin side.

Ofc tourist trap stores sell them for 2x the price.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Yeah, I like the Triumph.

But..I came here to ask if anyone had experience with aftermarket heated grips?.

Oxfords hotgrips premium series works good. They got a good bit of cable length since they're universal, but no big hassle to trim and rejoin. Their included glue is crap, use anything else. My clutch hand grip started to wear down to the heated elements a bit after 40k miles on my transalp.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaLbVbMyS5k

My brother has gone over his 1988 Jawa 350 and fitted the 3rd new tire today on the Velorex 700 sidecar. All 3 are TKC 80 M+S with street legal studs.
Bike is now safe to actually properly test out. This weekends forecast is -6c /21f with sun and clear skies, good weather for proper testing.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Whats the text on the speedo?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Too busy background, and poo poo on the left side of the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It's the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NX250
Sub 300 lbs fun. Main detractors is overtaking, fuel range.