Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Clicky for bigger

Bonus photo of me barrel racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
^^^ That thing is nuts, rock on!

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
^^ If you will recall, every motherfucker on here tried to convince him not to sell it.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Edit: wrong thread.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 23, 2008

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

French Canadian posted:

I rode it pretty aggresively on some trails and fireroads and it ran pretty well, but the stiff shock does become noticeable, especially when combined with the very soft forks. The fat rear tire is quite useful for soft stuff, although it seemed similar in terrain-grabbing ablity to my XR400, but I reckon that is due to the power difference. If this thing had a narrow tire, it wouldn't do nearly as well, so the fat tire helps make up for things like that.

On the fire roads, drop both tires down to about 8 psi, it makes all the difference in the world on a tw. Those big tires at low pressure do a great job of making up for the lackluster suspension on rough roads. When my girlfriend and I ride together offroad, thats the first thing I have to do.

I have realized that the tw is pretty much the ultimate fireroad exploration vehicle. You could carry a 3 gallon gas can, all your camping gear and food, and have a range of 400 miles, all in a light, easy to ride anywhere package. If I was a nature photographer or something, this would be my vehicle of choice.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
This is the dumbest trolling ever. Am I missing something that's supposed to be funny?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
How are the headlights on that thing? It looks like that might actually do something at night, which is better than the cans of rear end most bikes get for lights.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Valt posted:

For the rest of us who don't have any idea what you guys are talking about. Care to explain a little?

Dont worry, I was there and its still over my head.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

blugu64 posted:

I didn't know anyone other then Harly Davidson used belt drive. What kind of maintenance does a belt drive require?

Virtually none, it should be used more often.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
A bike followed me home again tonight, a 79 XS1100. I think it looking to be taken in over the weekend and have a couple botched/unfinished cafe jobs cleaned up. She runs, but I think the carbs need a good cleaning and tuning, one or two on the left side are stuck wide or something, I can just for gas straight into the cylinder when i try to fill the hose. Gas tank is rusty, what is it you guys were doing to clean them up? I wish I had paid more attention when it seemed like everyone was dealing with a rusty tank. Not sure what I am going to do it it, but I will defiantly be repainting, as somebody painted it rattlecan yellow, without doing anything like actually taking the gas tank off to paint it.

Being unloaded...

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

A bit of the botched cafe attempts, the chopped pipes sound pretty bitchen though

Fist thing was the get her naked and figure out why the left two cylinders weren't running. Turns out there are two petcocks, the one for the left bank wasn't on.

Pull the plugs, left bank is running way rich, no surprise since gas just pores though the carbs. Thankfully, the previous owner had fitted two brand new fuel filters before pouring gas into the rusty tanks and running it that way.

Side shot.

Its rough, but I can see some potential here...

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I think whether or not using an iPod while riding is dangerous mostly depends on the rider. If your the type of person who looses your situational awareness because your dancing along to your mp3 player, your probably shouldn't be using one. I dont leave the house without mine, and I have never once been surprised by something that I couldn't hear. I also use noise isolating headphones, which do a good job of cutting the bike and wind noise allowing my to use my headphones at a reasonable level, so I can still hear horns and whatnot pretty well.

What disturbs me is seeing people using the stock headphones, because I know they must be absolutely blasting them to be able to hear the music. Permanent hearing damage, and not being able to hear anything around me? no thanks....

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I want to ride in Crazy California traffic just so i can give it a try, seems like a blast to me.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I am loving all the recent buell goodness in this thread, I have a soft spot for them and hope to have another some day.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
That bike is going to be a riot, I almost let my dealer friend talk me into buying on a couple months ago. I am so jealous. You gonna race it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Old and busted...

New Hotness

Traded the 02 YZ 426, my first ever dirtbike for an 04 CR 125R. The CR will become my Arena Cross and Motocross bike. I am going to completely build up the CR over the course of the year, porting, high compression, the works all done by my own hand with the guidance of my boss, who has been building dirt bikes since before they existed. If I can find reasonably priced dyno time, I might do a before and after. Might put together a build thread.

Two hours after I got it, it was in the shop being stripped. This picture is actually after I put the swingarm back on after greasing the bearings. Tomorrow I order new springs, topend, pipe, starting device.