Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

My girlfriends 125cc Allstate

Husky TE250

My commuter

Lambretta TV175 and Cento projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was thinking of getting one of those or something similar when I get home, any particular years to look for/avoid? Would it be okay for short city/suburban commutes?

Old two stroke MX bikes are not usually street legal, and the top end replacements would drive you mad. You could do it, but it would be hard. If you want something light to commute on, look for an old DR350 or other small dual sport.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

bung posted:

Just thinking about a 750 2-stroke scares the poo poo out of me.

Scared Kenny Roberts too, and he had to ride it in the dirt. http://www.superbikeplanet.com/dontpaymeenuff.htm

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Nice S-2C. I have the same paint job, but a whole lot less aileron on my -2B. A S-2 is only 20' wide, so you don't have the same "how do I move around this" problems you have with a bigger plane.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
On the Buell, it definitely blew out. When I opened up the canister, there wasn't a shred of packing left, packing/repacking it got rid of the awful chest shaking feeling.

I think I'm done with working on this now. The exhaust ended up not being loud, which is a relief. I'd originally tried just switching over to a E header, but couldn't get things to line up for the OEM heat shield to go back into place, and the exposed exhaust joint bugged me. The E airbox was a little bit of a hassle, and to be honest, I'm not sure I notice much of a difference with the new exhaust and airbox over the factory stuff. Rejetting was a pain, but it's nice getting a real mixture screw and replacing the awful JIS float bowl screws with hex fasteners, so I can remove it and change jets without pulling the bike apart.

I appreciate that the DR-Z on the first page of this thread looks pretty much identical to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
more like "ready to replace" imo