Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I hope they release the ZX-25R in the US. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I took these pictures within 20 miles of each other :hellyeah:

I'm super grateful to live somewhere with literally hundreds of miles of good riding roads within an hour ride. I don't even care what right arms says!!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dema posted:

Top of 92? The Santa Cruz Mountains are pretty great.

Yeah, 35/92. I haven't even ventured out into east bay, Marin, or Napa yet.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That looks like a pretty tidy tail already. What changes, the plate moves up to just under the back instead of floating at the back?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah it's definitely more aggressive riding posture than a Ninja 650 but not as much as an R6.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

metavisual posted:

I don't know if I've ever posted my bike here. Took the MSF and got my endorsement back in 2016, but I just picked up this 2019 Honda CB300r in February. Got about 1800 miles on it now. Learning to ride in Covidworld in March was great, since there was almost nobody on the road! (Ignore my slightly broken clutch lever. Bike fell in the driveway because I was a dumbass!).

:discourse:

I dropped mine and broke the clutch lever in almost the exact same way :o: You can buy an OEM replacement for like $25.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is that first road Page Mill?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Pinehurst road behind Oakland. The other is Grizzly Peak

Ah. It reminds me of this. I need to make my way over there one of these days.

I went up to Skaggs Spring Rd today. My rear end is killing me. I always forget to take pictures. Here's one.

Also came across a huge landslide which I guess the county turned into a dirt road.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Part of me definitely wants to do a cross-country trip on a big, gently caress off Harley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmvNKe_qAxM

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Why is that experience specific to HARLEY-DAVIDSON BRAND motorcycle? Any touring bike, specifically designed for asphalt road trips, will do that and then some. Try riding a Goldwing, K1600 or Challenger sometimes. There is nothing Harley-Davidson does, that makes it stand out in that segment

Does a Goldwing have an obnoxiously loud stereo??

I think Goldwings and Road Glides are pretty different from each other even if they’re the same category. If I were buying then I’d go the Goldwing no doubt but there’s something inarticulable that On Two Wheels video captures really well IMO.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

All aggressive streetfighter bikes, to me, have this look of a fully faired bike that was crashed but the owner just decided to take the fairing off, leave the headlights and call it a day, but especially the Street Triple.

Not knocking anyone who loves the look, I just can’t unsee it now.

I think that’s exactly what a streetfighter is supposed to be.

I don’t care for the look of the Speed or Street Triple, especially compared to the Daytona, or the Ducati Streetfighter compared to the Panigale (or basically anything), but I think the MT bikes look pretty good, as well as the Kawasaki Z bikes. And the Honda Neo-sports cafe look fantastic. But I’m not sure if those Japanese bikes are really streetfighters or just naked/standard.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Except the Mercedes 6x6 which is the best car.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

They haven't released a 2021 version of the RC390 yet, whereas (almost all) the rest of their lineup has 2021 at this point. There might be a new RC390 coming out later this year or possibly an RC490; KTM confirmed the 490 platform targeting ~60hp.

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/sneaky-peek-motogp-inspired-ktm-rc390%85-or-it-rc490

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I want a garage basically more than anything.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I think he mixed up the bikes. I initially thought the 500 was the 1100 until I noticed the decal. The cylinder head is huge on the 500 in comparison so I just assumed it was the 1100.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here’s my Honda with its mirrors removed to save, like, 2lbs.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The one true benefit of the two piece suit.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What luck

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/d/san-francisco-solex-2200-french-moped/7313498016.html

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah whenever I take my mirrors off I’m always amazed with how much better it looks.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I thought alchemy was instant

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

it appeared that the instructor was being dragged behind the student's bike as he pulled to the side.

:wth: That's brutal. Which group? I saw this yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoWdRxET3dU

Keep your eye on the guy in front of me, on the top-right quarter of the screen. It's hard to tell from video, but that chicane is super tight, and blind too boot. I think the guy just came in way too hot, stoppied, and went over. That's pretty much the worst place to crash, because there's no real corner worker (you can hardly see that corner station while coming in), and no one can see you either. They red-flagged the session, and I'm assuming by how he was holding his wrist and rolling around he broke it or had a bad sprain.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

This one was normal A/B/C, but some might do A/B+ and B-/C. Since it's 5 miles you can only really get in 3 full laps (4 if you're fast). That was my first time onto the west side, which is so different from the east side. It feels much narrower, although according to Google Maps they're both 35' wide. I think it's because there's more elevation change and a lot of the turns are over crests and you can't see the exit until you're like 3/4 through, unlike the east side where you can see through all but maybe 3 of the corners.

I want to do a day on the west side only now. The east side is so high speed, and since my bike can't go much faster than 95mph (I was topping out at 85 on the main straight because of a head wind :o:), you can get lazy because you barely have to brake for the corner. If I were braver/better I'd try to bring more speed in and brake later and deeper, but I kept running into ground clearance issues which gave me a little trepidation. Need to work on my body position a lot more, I think, to be better set up for higher speed.

I need to go through my footage still. I was hoping I could get under 4 minutes, but based on some quick checking I did last night I think I only got to 4:05-4:10.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I found myself braking early or using more engine braking through sections than I necessarily needed to. But the past year and a half without much exercise or stretching has done a number on my endurance and flexibility. I think I have the line down pretty well at least and just need to work on carrying more speed.

Here's a boring video of one of my sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2XUs6veHI

:hellyeah: :same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtsVFlXIxI

It's funny because you feel like you're riding your heart out and going as fast as possible (which may be true on a personal level), then you watch your video and think "wtf why am I so slow, why am I braking so early?!"

I went through my videos. Nothing exciting (besides that crash).

First session everyone went slow, which was good, because I didn't know the west side. Second session was red flagged. No GoPro on the R3 (bonus session), 3-5 sessions I actually only got in two full laps in part because I waited a few minutes before going out, because it was 100+ and I didn't want to sit and wait to be let out, and then 6th session they black flagged me by mistake, so I never got in a full lap :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I wanna do more track days

:same:

I just bought a ticket for a day at Sonoma Raceway on August 17. Yamaha is putting it on and will have the R7 there for demo. Hopefully I can get a chance! They'll also have R3, R1, MT07, MT09, and MT10, so I'm going to ride as many of their bikes as they'll let me. :hehe:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Strife posted:

That was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

How many hours a day were you riding? Have you done anything like this before? I’d love to take a multi-day bike-only journey, even if it means sleeping in a field, but I imagine I’d need some more stamina first. I think the longest I’ve ridden in a single day is like 4 or 6 hours but with many breaks.

Whaaaa, I thought you rode to Sturgis?

Also yeah amazing trip Ulf. I need to do even a mini trip down to LA and back or something.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

I'm not a fan of the KRT stuff but I do have a soft spot for the one with the white belly pan, whichever that was. Just looking at the 400 lineup on kawasaki.ca and I'm really not seeing many colour schemes that win me over, sadly. There's a nice 2021 model that's dark grey with neon green splashes that would do nicely, but for some reason we don't seem to have gotten the white one in Canada.

Disappointing.

This one?

They change the colors every year for some reason, so you can't buy the white one anymore (you can buy the one above, though!).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Aren't those racing suits specifically designed for sport bike riding position? I watched guys walk around in those things and it looks super uncomfortable. Plus all the specialty equipment like knee and elbow pucks or whatever, completely unnecessary. I don't see why you would want to wear it outside of a racing event, when comfortable safety gear already exists

I don't necessarily disagree, but for what it's worth my two piece suit is not at all uncomfortable; one pieces may be a little more restrictive off-bike. I wear my two piece while riding, but that's mostly because that's all I have! I do intend to get some more casual-looking gear that I could wear in a store or restaurant without looking like a dork, but it's not super important.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

Milyard is a legend.

That’s a production Honda CBX :wth:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

California supremacy :c00l:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

drat Colorado is beautiful.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’d get Q3+ or Diablo Rosso III (or IV?). I don’t think it would get Q4 or Diablo Rosso Corsa II or anything like that.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I'd get a front stand that goes into the steering stem as the fork holding type are utterly useless unless you're a professional bike dropper.

Yeah seconding this. My front stand just goes under the forks and it feels super precarious. I left it overnight and it was fine but 100% would have fallen over in any earthquake. You'll need one like that anyway if you ever one to do fork maintenance, so may as well just go straight for it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I'm pretty tempted to pick up an RS660 or Tuono 660, but might have to wait until late 2022 :sigh: I've been using my rear more. I get on the rear just before the front, and then let off as it's getting lighter. It seems to help, not necessarily with slowing but make the bike feel a little more planted. My friend's gear linkage snapped clean off when we were heading out on our last session. At least it happened right at the entrance instead of midtrack.

The wind destroyed my canopy.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I admittedly don’t have tons of experience with different bikes and engines, but I can say the Aprilia 660 is not a boring, anonymous power unit. Honestly based on my limited experience with both I would even say it’s better than the CP2. That’s setting aside things like reliability, maintenance, running costs, etc., on which I have no informed opinion. I’d love to get more time with both. I only had 20 minutes on each.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

I managed to find that a new Hawk GT was going for 4000USD in 1988, but struggling to find any points of comparison.

That's about 9300USD today, so in line with their current 650 but quite a bit less than the 600. But yes contemporaneous comparisons may be more interesting!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/long-term-ktm-rc390-final-update/

quote:

The past 18 months have included many fun races and plenty of memorable laps aboard this bike, but I've also spent an inordinate amount of time working on the RC.

I’m not talking about the upgrades I did to the suspension and brakes or the clip-ons and rearsets I installed, all of which improved the RC’s performance and readied it for racebike duty. I’m talking about the blown head gasket, electrical gremlins, and aberrant valve clearances that have regularly interrupted my enjoyment of this bike. I like to work on motorcycles nearly as much as I like to ride them, but the KTM has tested my love for wrenching.

Just something to consider. The RC390 looks sweet but I’m 99% sure I’ll get an R3 or Ninja 400 instead.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Unless it's chin-mounted, helmet cameras always have kind of a weird angle. I like to see my hands in my camera in addition to the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jII87t11onE

My camera records audio from the mic inside my helmet unless I'm on the phone (wire tap laws?). It sounds pretty decent. If you're stuck with an external mic you can look into some "dead cat" wind noise reducing fuzzy stuff to glue on around the mic.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Definitely check with the track day providers in your area on what they require. In my experience, the only thing you need is a bike in good condition; mirrors should be taped up or removed, and lights should be taped over or the fuse(s) pulled. Taping up the lights takes like 5 minutes.

Getting to/from the track is by far the biggest effort. I think you already have a truck and a garage, so that's a huge help. You can load everything up the day before and then just drive there in the morning. I have to rent, and there's no way I'm leaving everything street parked, so I end up loading everything up at 3 or 4 in the morning, and then scrambling to unload and return before my 24hour rental expires.

The rules are common sense. C group almost always no passing on the inside, some no passing in the corner, "pass for the comfort of the person your passing" eg 6-8ft bubble. Like MomJeans says, if you find yourself bunched up or stuck in traffic, pull into the hot pit, wait for an opening, then head back out. B group is far worse than C group when it comes to passing and people being bozos because there's much more spread in rider skill/comfort compared to C or A.

High Protein posted:

The track days I've been to didn't require any of that. You're also put into groups according to skill level and most I've been to you weren't allowed to overtake, which also decreases the chances of a mishap occurring.

Aren't allowed in the corners or at all?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah exactly. I don’t understand how you wouldn’t end up with a clump of bikes slowly circling the track when you essentially have the slowest rider/bike setting the pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

High Protein posted:

You're put into groups depending on speed and everyone follows an instructor who sets the pace. Every session he ups the speed a bit and anyone who can't keep up is put in a slower group. I like it because you're always riding behind someone who's more skilled, and you can follow their lines.

Which country is this? I couldn't tell from your post history if you were in the US or somewhere in Europe. I've heard, at least in Italy, they tend to do things differently; everyone must have a lap timing/transponder, and then you get reassigned based on your pace, then the second half of the day is treated more like a club race. I've done lead/follow before, but it kind of sucked, because it was a demo ride mixed in with a normal C group session, so everyone else on the track was doing their thing, and the leader has a random group of people each session, so he isn't sure what pace to use, etc.. I'd be curious to see how doing a whole day where everyone is following that structure compares. I do like following an instructor the times I've done it.