Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's just plain heroic. I know at least one guy who rides near me who's short one leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ola posted:

Because emissions regulations are made by retarded bureaucrats. It doesn't matter if your bike releases 1 pound of CO2 every second as long as the % isn't too high.
Thank you. YOu're person.. number two who's made that very important connection.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Zool posted:

It has power to weight ratio about 9% higher than an SV-650. A little much for a first bike, but still about 1/2 the power to weight of a 600SS.
Are you trying to say a GS1000 is a good choice for a first bike? Oy. SV's aren't great first bikes, but they're survivable. That doesn't make them good either!

Pvt. Public posted:

No, you clearly are mistaken. That is obviously a picture of his riding tractor.
.... How did I know... And we didn't get pictures of me riding the turd either! For everyone else: Allow me to paint a picture. I am 5'5". The owner of the KLR I rode is 6' something, and a large man. I sat on the KLR, and I had inches of clearance under each foot. To come to stops, I had to slide off one side of the bike, and hang down.

Zubumafoo posted:

Though, I did take it on the highway for a little bit. I must say, naked bikes on the highway sure are...interesting.

Oh also, anyone have any resources on getting new/better foam for the seat? I figure if I'm gonna replace the cover I could maybe replace the foam with something that doesn't kill my rear end after being on it for 4 hours.

First, the stock bars on UJM's are designed for "in town" comfort. They're high, and pulled back. They're also decent for parking lot manuvering. However, in the US, we have lots of open road. So leaning into the wind is a better plan. And if you enjoy corners, getting forward helps front end traction.

I switch our the bars on a bike, usually within a week of owning it. Don't fear it! For most bikes, superbike bars suit me well. Though I think the euro bend is going to find it's way onto my GS650. It's tank is a little longer than the 550 which stretches me out a little.

There's also a big bit of "you'll get used to it" for highway riding. 140mph on a naked bike is gonna be interesting no matter what you do. ;-)

As for the seat, the big problem is more likely you, than the seat. Stand up every few minutes. Sit to the left, or the right. Twist a little. Firmer foam helps, as it keeps your weight concentrated on your sit bones. But if you don't move at all, you're gonna get sore.

Now, to add some content:

This lovely thing was brought to my house this weekend. kdc67 lucked out and found a very nice 1979 GS425. We picked it up saturday morning.

It's in better shape than my 650. She's already put 30 miles on the 425.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

Love 'em!
Thank you too. I'm quite proud of my 650.

kdc67 posted:

Comes in handy when you may or may not stall the bike on a hill.
*HONK*

Didn't see it. Will never claim you stalled it. Go back to your LT2.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 15, 2011

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Skreemer posted:

The LT2 was a hand start anyway... no need to kick. (you still have that video?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSsM2EeXyEA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Would you believe that's a lake?

That's a 1982 GS650E. The E is important, there weren't many made. Most of them were G's. I like my chain drive.

Edit: VVVVVV------- Yup. "G" in suzuki-eez, means shaft drive.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 9, 2012