Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Nerobro posted:

A 1983 GS550ES. It has a rough re-jet by me and a K&N air filter. It also has a hand wound stator (by me), and a GSXR regulator rectifer. It was purchased for $300 as "misc motorcycle parts." The bike was abandoned at a suzuki dealer because the owner wouldn't pay for the repairs after wrecking it. Skreemer stopped by the dealer and because he rides a 1983 GS550E, the owner offered him the bike.

I'm exceedingly happy with it. It'll do a little more than 120mph, it accelerates fast enough, it hauls me and a passenger as far, and as fast as I like. The seat is a little.. rough on the derriere. My 1980 GS550's seat is much nicer. I'll post those pictures in a bit.

My brother had an '83 550E, purchased new in late '82. I got to ride that bike a fair amount in 84/85, and I loved it. I bought a lightly used '84 550ES in May of '88, partly spurred by an effort to get over being dumped by a girl who looked very much like Susanna Hoffs (the lead singer of The Bangles). It had a Lockhart lower, and seemed very fast to me. It had about 6,000 miles on it when I bought it. In '89 I bought a jet kit (which massively helped it, especially on low end torque, they were just jetted too lean from the factory) and a Vance & Hines pipe. After wrecking my car in late '88, it was my only motor vehicle from then until late '91. This was in Humboldt county, so I rode in lots of rain, very cold weather, and even in snow once.

I sold it in late 1993, with about 30,000 miles on it. Going for a brief ride on a friend's '92 CBR600F really ruined it for me. That bike had everything I wished my old Suzuki had but didn't. I went without a bike until...

I've had this since July of '05. 2001 1200 Bandit

I've since replaced the tall windscreen with a stock sized one. Though low on power by modern standards, it is more than powerful enough for me. I've only put about 4,000 miles on it in the three years I've owned it. I need to spend less time on my computer, and more time riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

SaucyPants posted:

I am pretty much bikeless at the moment but I thought I would share some of my past bikes if that is okay, reading this thread is making me jealous.

My first bike and I still regret selling it to this day

There have been quite a few of those in this thread. I still remember when they first came out. The GPz550 had been the bike that made my heart flutter, but when I began seeing V45 Interceptors around in late '83, it was my new love.

Probably my most memorable moment for seeing a bike for the first time was checking out the GSXR750 at the Suzuki display at Laguna Seca in 1985. Seeing Penny Baker (Miss January 1984) signing posters at the Suzuki tent was really cool, but I think the GSXR was even more awe inspiring. It was so different than any street bike I'd ever seen before. Having a GSXR750 of that vintage in good shape would be really cool.

Nerobro, I still have the July 1983 issue of Cycle that has a write up of the GS550ES. Would you like me to scan it and put it up?

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Click here for the full 1200x1513 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1505 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1652 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1699 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1616 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1663 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1656 image.

And here's a picture of mine right after I bought it.

And for my fellow Susanna Hoffs fans, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5arzC4hmI_M

Repo Man fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 19, 2008

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Nerobro posted:

You're pretty lucky on the RR front. The one leg cutout isn't the problem. It's heat. It took untill the early 80's for suzuki to figure out that you need to provide the RR with cooling air. The 84-86 GS550E/ES/ESD/EF had their r/r mounted in the fenderwell so they got lots of air. Skreemer's and my 83's have it buried under the seat between the battery and the inner fender. We are both running late model GSXR r/r's on our 83 GS550's.

My brother had gone through a couple of rectifier regulators by the time I bought my bike. He had already discovered that they had moved them on the later bikes, so I knew I didn't have to worry about it as much. The crank trigger ignitors failed on my bike (actually, I'm remembering 1990/91, and I think my R&R failed first, and I suspected of causing the ignitors to fail after the fact). It was a bitch, it'd start and run, then die on the road when you were out of town. It happened twice before I figured it out.

And, not long after riding it from Eureka to Tucson in two days, I discovered the stator windings were shorting. I found a place in the back of Cycle or something that had rewound ones for reasonable, and did that.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

NinjaCthulhu posted:

I like it a lot, but its my first bike so I don't really have anything to compare it to. The seating posistion is very comfortable, it has more than enough power for me, and it has never felt unstable even when I'm turning far enough to scrape the centerstand.

I imagine the suspension is pretty soft compared to other bikes, and it does seem to rebound quite a bit at the bottom of hills, but for just driving around it feels fine. My only other complaints are that there is an annoying vibration between 5 and 6 thousand revs, and the gas milage seems low for a 600 at just around 40, but I don't know if either of those would apply to the 1200.

Upgrading the suspension is pretty popular with Bandits. Fitting a GSXR shock is popular, as well as revalving and replacing the springs in the forks. I don't like the spongy forks on my 1200, and bought expensive Race Tech valves and springs to rebuild them. But I haven't gotten around to installing them. I need another round with my carb synchronizer to try and smooth out the idle a bit more. Still a cool bike.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

I guess these fit better here than in the Cycle Pictures and Videos thread, since they arent anything out of the ordinary, just some shots I snapped of my new 1200 Bandit.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Just in case you don't already know about it, http://www.portablepct.com/fastlarry/banditfaq.htm

I really like my Bandit. Powerful enough for me, with a fair amount of low end. Makes back roads easier, since you don't have to worry as much about not being in the right gear coming out of a corner. This last weekend I rode from Chico to Eugene on Saturday, and back to Chico on Sunday. Though I've been tempted at times to get a GSXR, I don't think I would have been able pull off that kind of trip (six hours each way, stopping only to get gas and pee) with the lower seating position.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005

Phat_Albert posted:

Do you have a 1200? How many miles do you get out of a tank?

2001 1200S, pics a few pages back. I've never checked that carefully, but around 150 miles.

quote:

Anyways, yeah, I had a GSXR-600, and I like the bandit better. The GSXR actually made more power, but it was pretty unusable on the street. The bandits power is much more accessible, and even better yet, its torque is too.

I've taken to calling the Bandit "The Super Couch", as its fast, and extremely comfortable.
Because I didn't want something with a peaky powerband, I'd decided on a minimum displacement of 750CC when I began shopping for a bike. I'm in my forties, I don't want to be dancing on the shift lever on a twisty backroad; it's too tiring.

I'm sure a full dress touring bike would be much more comfortable, but I don't want one of those. I think these bikes are a good compromise between full sport and touring. And if I want more power, I can throw some money at it. But I almost didn't ride at all between 1993 and 2005, so it seemed crazy powerful to me when I first bought it.

Repo Man fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 27, 2008

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
My 2012 CBR1000, and my 2001 Bandit 1200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
One of my favorite local rides.