Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Gorson posted:

I also have a Hennessey. I recommend setting it up in your backyard or a park and "practicing" a bit. There are a few nuances to setting them up properly, the right angle, the right line tension, etc. Also, if the temperature gets below 50 at night you'll want some kind of underquilt.
I find that the real trick for comfort is slacker lines than seems reasonable and sleeping diagonally so my spine gets flat.

I don't have a fancy name brand hammock, just a cheap one with a separate mosquito netting that goes outside the hammock and hangs from the taut line above that also holds the middle of the tarp up should the weather warrant it. I've been eyeing those fancy setups which look like suspended tents but they're kinda pricy, my current setup works great and I don't camp out nearly as much as I used to. When I do I don't always use the net or the tarp so I like the flexibility of three separate little packages. Setup is still quick and easy with a little practice. I think I'll have to get an underquilt though, they're bulky but not as bulky as bringing a pad into the hammock to ward off the back chill which is what I've done previously.

Hammocks are super comfy compared to lightweight tents, but I've transformed from a backsleeper to a frontsleeper for some reason and that simply doesn't work. Still it's my preferred way of camping. Tree availability is never a problem where I live and I get to choose any camping spot regardless of what the ground looks like which is fantastic. Also rain is never a problem with a well strung tarp while tents are vulnerable to water intrusion from below if the ground isn't ideal. Lots of advantages with hammocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Although I suppose you could just pack a bike cover too

:iiam:

:iiam: indeed. Bike covers pack small. Or you could, you know, let the rain fall on your motorcycle.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Red really is the best color on that vintage. I want one. As soon as I've sold a vehicle.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have no photography skills and a lovely phone, also a new-to-me motorcycle. Just running some errands today.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Megabook posted:

Weirdly the motorcycle MOT test in the UK checks just about everything except for emissions.

Same in Sweden. I'm about to get my learner bike inspected as soon as there's a new chain on it and the weather cooperates so I can sell it. This is an autotranslated list of what one of the inspection places suggest I should look at myself before bringing the bike in to increase my chances of passing:

quote:

That contacts and controls work

That the horn works

That the blinkers, reflectors and lighting work (don't forget the light by the license plate)

That the chain and chain lock are present and that the chain lock is correctly mounted

That the tread depth of the tires is at least 1 mm

That the front and rear brakes work

That the brake pads are in good condition

That there are no sharp edges on wind or headlight protection

That the brake and fuel hoses are intact

That the front fork works as it should

That the oil level in the engine is okay

That the rear shock absorbers work and are tight

That there is a warning triangle (if you have a three- or four-wheel motorcycle)

That the high beam indicator light works (if you have a model year from 1984 onwards)

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

knox_harrington posted:

First use of the top box on the Scrambler. Wow that is incredibly convenient, just went to the deli in the next neighbourhood over and just being able to stick the bag in the box is so much less faff.

It doesn't even look that stupid.
Yeah the convenience factor is tremendous. It increases even more when the box is big enough that you can fit a helmet AND some other stuff in there, which sadly looks more stupid, that box is very slick looking.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That thing looks really fun and I want to ride it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That is such a pretty bike and I want one even though I don't really want one. In just that color scheme, obviously.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That's a neat video though I'm sure it still doesn't come close to the awesomeness of seeing it for real. I really wanted to watch this eclipse (or any total eclipse really) and had even planned going to Mexico to see it since a few years back but unfortunately the economy went to poo poo and there wasn't room in the budget for a transatlantic family vacation. Oh well, the next one locally is just a hundred years away so I'll just be patient and plan on living to an impossibly old age.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It's a 2005 DRZ. There are many like it but this one is mine. Or at least half of it is. Both bro and I are dual sport curious so we split the bill. I bought it on monday and trailered it home today, bro is travelling and no help at all other than financially.

The decals are pretty weird, guessing they're pre-Covid but who knows. If I like riding this bike I might replace them, or not.
That brass thing on the bar is some kind of fancy brand steering dampener.

I saw a big hex head on what I think is the cam chain tensioner and assumed it must be a manual replacement, but now I'm not so sure, that's looking like the problematic stock hydraulic one?

I also got a bigger plastic tank and a box of parts. Mirror, stock suspension links, stock (I think) footpegs, a clutch handle, oil filter, air filters, brake pads, nuts and bolts and whatever else. I haven't gone through it properly yet. The bike starts and runs well, sounds good. I need to get it inspected to make it road legal so we can ride it without fear of legal consequences. If there's anything wrong with it I haven't found out yet. I don't really know what are mods and retrofits on it either - clearly it's been messed with but I don't know to what extent. Is that a stock muffler for example?
Only 15.000 km on the odo which is about the same as my 2020 sv650. I think it looks pretty good for being two decades old but I don't know DRZ's, also I'm partial.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

You can sell them for decent money

Holy poo poo, you weren't kidding. Not sure if it's this one (probably an older model) but it looks at least similar. Imma try selling it if it's indeed worth hundreds.

https://www.wrs.it/en/used-showcase/380102-ohlins-adjustable-rotative-steering-damper.html

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Ohlins rotary damper, mint condition, never had to do any work

The cardboard box for it is even in the box-o-parts :)
That thing is going on ebay or something.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Russian Bear posted:

That’s absolutely mint for a 2005

I thought so too. Also I ended up paying pretty much exactly 3k USD, which is definitely less money (when registered as fully road legal rather than as enduro bikes) that these tend to go for in my local market, usually way more ratty looking too. Brand spanking new tires on it, all the other rubber I've laid eyes on looks great too. Unless the inspection reveals something nasty I think I did good, and that Öhlins gadget might have pushed this firmly into "score" territory. The seller was a really nice guy and we ended up talking a bunch about all sorts of things. Also he helped me load the trailer and strap it down. I helped him install the D.O.T app on his phone and showed him how it works so we could do the title transfer digitally and he was grateful for that (it's a great app if you're Swedish and own motor vehicles). Overall a really pleasant used bike purchase.

I'll consult bro who is of sound mechanical mind about what to do about CCT, stator bolts and coolant expansion tank. Probably worth sorting out in some way, but can also probably wait a little if it's been working ok for 20 years. All I could find with a quick search is Aliexpress-looking manual CCTs for like €25 which seems a bit too cheap, but maybe these parts are fine.
I think we'll end up restoring it to stock ride height in the rear, though bro is slightly shorter than me. I can double flat foot the ground when sitting on it right now and I don't think that's quite right. Maybe it's a good idea to ride it a bit in it's current configuration to get used to it though. We'll see.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

Having a reduced ride height in the rear isn't 'free', it impacts the bike's handling in other ways, none of them good imo

That figures. Back to stock as much as possible is probably a good idea in general. I'm looking forward to wrenching some on this bike, but I need to buy or build some kind dirtbike style central stand for it since mounting spools on the rear swing and using the pit stand I use for the SV seems like a dumb idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My riding school had Honda Hornets, so that's the bike I did the majority of my pre-licence learning on. I would like to try one again with my current skill level. I think I would probably like it a lot more than I did as a total newbie.