Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Hello Hobbyists and Crafters of all sorts! Our friends from Creative Convention are visiting with their Travelling Showcase of Wonders and they want to see all the cool and fantastic things you've been working on! Go show them off and admire the handiwork of other talented goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

And here I thought someone had a hook to recommend for my spouse. :(

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shine posted:

I wish I could help! The knitting thread seems to be slightly more active than this one-maybe ask there?

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

Shine posted:

I personally had to switch to more comfortable hooks recently. I would highly recommend some ergonomic handles (there are a million kinds out there!) but something fun I learned about recently is a "crochet ring" - they keep the yarn off your finger with a hook to prevent thread burn! They are super cool!

I think, though, you are looking for a wood handle like on Etsy. I have even seen some "crochet wands" which are just as cool and nerdy as they sound like. Hope that helps!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tesdinic posted:

I personally had to switch to more comfortable hooks recently. I would highly recommend some ergonomic handles (there are a million kinds out there!) but something fun I learned about recently is a "crochet ring" - they keep the yarn off your finger with a hook to prevent thread burn! They are super cool!

I think, though, you are looking for a wood handle like on Etsy. I have even seen some "crochet wands" which are just as cool and nerdy as they sound like. Hope that helps!

That looks neat! We ended up ordering a bunch of these: https://furlscrochet.com/collections/hooks-and-needles/products/furls-streamline-ergonomic-wooden-crochet-hooks.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter
Oooo those look neat! I received some money for Christmas this year and something like that may be on my list!

I am curious on how those "feel" on the yarn - for example, I noticed that some of the shiny metal hooks allow the yarn to slide almost too easily on the shaft, where the ergonomic ones I have have more of a .. brushed? finish on them and grip the yarn a teensy bit more. I wonder if the wood will feel that way or super smooth from the finish!

Also you said "knife gripper" - is that a term you made up or a real thing?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tesdinic posted:

Oooo those look neat! I received some money for Christmas this year and something like that may be on my list!

I am curious on how those "feel" on the yarn - for example, I noticed that some of the shiny metal hooks allow the yarn to slide almost too easily on the shaft, where the ergonomic ones I have have more of a .. brushed? finish on them and grip the yarn a teensy bit more. I wonder if the wood will feel that way or super smooth from the finish!

Also you said "knife gripper" - is that a term you made up or a real thing?

It's a real thing:

(from https://www.crochet365knittoo.com/crochet-hooks-hold/ )

Lovey dove uses a knife grip/position.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter
Oh neat! It looks like I do the same. I end up having a lot of trigger finger issues in my thumb because of it. A lot of the wooden hooks don't seem to be catered to the way I hold the hook - they seem to mostly expect you to hold your hand way further back on the hook. I tend to be constantly manipulating the yarn with my index and thumbs.

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter
I have just finished up some of my last crochet projects of the year! Looking back, it is interesting comparing which ones were fun and challenging to make, where others were just annoying.. can you guess which were which?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Those are super cute!

Tesdinic
Dec 20, 2020

Crazy Cat-Loving Crafter

HungryMedusa posted:

Those are super cute!

Thanks! I am super pleased with all of them!

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Tesdinic posted:

I have just finished up some of my last crochet projects of the year! Looking back, it is interesting comparing which ones were fun and challenging to make, where others were just annoying.. can you guess which were which?

I love these! Is there a pattern for the junimo, or did you freehand it?

Memory 404
Feb 15, 2020

Witty repertoire not found...

Tesdinic posted:

...but something fun I learned about recently is a "crochet ring" - they keep the yarn off your finger with a hook to prevent thread burn! They are super cool!

I just got some! I haven't tested them yet, but they caught my eye online, recently. What I'm hoping for is less tension in my left hand -- it dislikes holding yarn for long spells now.

My yarn-rings are shaped like snakes. 🐍

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I’ve never really crocheted (?) anything before but wanted to learn, so I started to make an extremely basic blanket using only single and double stitches (I think). It’s very repetitive but I feel like I’m learning the motions and how to count stitches. The yarn turned out to be not at all what it looked like on the website but I bought four skeins of it so :shrug:

I knit a lot and I am so loving stoked about not having to have the stitches on the needle :woop:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oooh that’s a nice rear end yarn. And yeah I can’t loving do knitting because I am a tense person and boy it shows in my knitting.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
I don't knit cause my mom taught me how to crochet as a kid and what's the point of learning to knit when I can already crochet!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

thelizzerd posted:

I don't knit cause my mom taught me how to crochet as a kid and what's the point of learning to knit when I can already crochet!

They are both fun and can produce different results.

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight
I've been crocheting since I was 13, but have tried to teach myself to knit before. My undoing comes from the fact that I don't know how to fix my mistakes in knitting. I'm also going to need someone to sit with me and demonstrate how to purl, because my brain apparently can't wrap itself around the concept via diagrams.

Knitting does tend to make loose and softer fabric, though. I trade items with friends who do knit and I'm always jealous of how soft and silky knitting turns out. You can loosen and wash and relax crochet but it's always just a little bit stiffer.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
This may be comparing apples to oranges, but if you were hypothetically equally skilled in both, would there be a noticeable difference in the time it takes to finish a project in crochet vs knitting? Like, if you were to try to make two small square blankets, each the same size, one using crochet and one via knitting, would one likely be faster?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

pseudorandom posted:

This may be comparing apples to oranges, but if you were hypothetically equally skilled in both, would there be a noticeable difference in the time it takes to finish a project in crochet vs knitting? Like, if you were to try to make two small square blankets, each the same size, one using crochet and one via knitting, would one likely be faster?

I'd consider myself about equally skilled in both knitting and crochet! if you're working flat in double-crochet then ime crochet works up much faster - it's just less appealing of a fabric imo.
Though I had a real breakthrough in knitting speed when I finally learned continental grip, which is weird because that's basically equivalent to the only crochet grip, but not having a hook at the end of the knitting needle made it really challenging for me to have any kind of accuracy at first.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

I believe for most people who can do both, crochet works up faster and I'm no exception.

Crochet uses a lot more yarn for a given area, though.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

I actually prefer crochet over knitting purely because I feel like I can churn out projects faster (also because I find it less stressful if I miss/drop a stitch by mistake).

I've been on a stash busting binge and have really been enjoying some of the "knit look" crochet patterns Ravelry has to offer me. For example, these mittens:

Also, doing a scrap yarn rug has to be one of the most fun projects I've ever done!

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So I have a question for those of you are both giant nerds and amigurumi workers:

I want to make my D&D adventuring party like keychain dolls for Christmas/New Years. It’s easy enough for two of them because they’re human, they just have clothes choices I need to figure out. The other two are going to be more difficult because one’s a Dragonborn and the other’s a bugbear. I’m just wondering if y’all have any recommendations

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Not sure if she'll have something that works, but the designer Megan Lapp makes lots of dragon/faerie/mythological patterns.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
I am excited to see this thread be active again! I’m an avid crocheter and ran my first booth at an anime convention this year selling amigurumi. Is it considered too much of self-advertising to post things here? I’d love to show the weird stuff I’ve made :D

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

AbstractBlacksmith posted:

I am excited to see this thread be active again! I’m an avid crocheter and ran my first booth at an anime convention this year selling amigurumi. Is it considered too much of self-advertising to post things here? I’d love to show the weird stuff I’ve made :D

Show us!! I want to see weird stuff for sure

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

HungryMedusa posted:

Show us!! I want to see weird stuff for sure

Well ok then! My stuff is mostly retro games, which means I just make what I like!

Big rear end blanket

Jack Frost. I sell the pattern for this one, definitely my top item!

Ultros, from Final Fantasy 6

Nu, from Chrono Trigger

Gremio, from Suikoden II. I was cosplaying as the MC, so I wanted an accompanying friend/servant

I have more on insta and stuff, but I don't wanna clog up the thread!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I haven't played any of those games, but I love all of those ami. Mind posting your insta? I'd love to see more.

For content, I've also fallen in love with crocheted toys lately and I'm working my way through the Unicorns, Dragons and More Fantasy Amigurumi books. I also have Dinosaurs, Mammoths and More Prehistoric Amigurumi up next. So far I've made:

Nessie the Loch Ness Monster

Kiki the Phoenix

And Lily the Water Nymph

I also made this little plague doctor who sits on my desk to keep me safe.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

left_unattended posted:

I haven't played any of those games, but I love all of those ami. Mind posting your insta? I'd love to see more.

Sure! https://www.instagram.com/theknitcromancer/. It is sporadically updated, and mixed with cosplay, amigurumi, and the "normal" things I make out of yarn, like hats n scarves.

Also holy crap your work is amazing! I'm gonna have to find this book because those amigurumi are cute af.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
Thanks! Can never have too much yarn in my feed haha.

And thank you! I'm still fairly new to crochet, I've been trying to teach myself for a couple of decades but only got the hang of it in the last couple of years. I highly recommend the books, the instructions so far have been really clear and no issues.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Hi everyone. I bought some knitting stuff a few years ago but didn't have a great time learning. I just couldn't get it down. I bought a crochet hook (also a few years ago) but never tried using it. Are there any good free resources out there on how to learn how to crochet? I need more hobbies.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Hi everyone. I bought some knitting stuff a few years ago but didn't have a great time learning. I just couldn't get it down. I bought a crochet hook (also a few years ago) but never tried using it. Are there any good free resources out there on how to learn how to crochet? I need more hobbies.

I've pretty much learned from watching youtube videos about it. There are tons of channels devoted to it.

If you learn better visually, I think that's a great option, since static web page guides were a bit difficult for me to understand until I had a decent amount of practice.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
This might not help and was definitely a sideways entry, but I finally got the hang of crochet by using it as a provisional cast on. I think it was being able to work the crochet stitch without needing a foundation/starting chain that did it, because I really struggled with getting a tidy, not-too-loose-or-tight foundation chain and gave up.

Seconding YouTube, that and googling for picture tutorials are how I teach myself everything. Sometimes I like static pictures better because I can move through them at my own pace and see the stitches super clearly, especially when the relevant stitch is highlighted.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Hey everyone, figured I'd drop in and post about my crochet adventures and ask some questions. I started crochet last winter, did some super basic stuff, and then got distracted by video games and poo poo and dropped it for a while. Over Christmas I was at my parent's house and got a close look at some of of them potholders my great grandma made and it renewed my interest.

Basically, my ultimate goal with crochet is to make stuff like Victorian doilies, dresser scarves, table runners, potholders, etc. And some hats and normal scarves and such, of course. However, a couple problems that I have in advancing are that I can't follow a pattern to save my life and also I am hilariously bad at counting. Like, my brain seizes up trying to keep track of how many stitches I've done/need to do and I get super flustered. I'm bad at sequential thinking in general, which explains why I'm also bad at following crochet instructions. That said, I'm much better at visual/spatial processing, so I do well with illustrated diagrams and also just making it up as I go or reverse engineering.

Here's my scarf, which is the first completed non-practice thing I made:

In deciding to do the double/chain grid thingy to get more scarf out of the yarn, I inadvertently blundered into filet crochet, I guess. The scalloped edge is due to me miscounting, naturally, but I kind of made it work. Also I didn't block it so the fringe curls up and it's otherwise kind of lumpy.

Want to get into making round things and working in cotton, so I tried my hand at making a potholder:

It's about 6" across. Yarn was kinda thick and annoying to work with (probably because it was cotton) and I made it up as I went with some trial and error and probably did some unorthodox things, but it came out okay.

And this is one my great grandma made and the quality of work I aspire to:

It's made with much finer yarn/thread and probably like 40 years old. Not sure how she made the petals and I feel like a dumbass for not photographing the other side. Is it a Jacob's ladder sort of deal? It's also hard to tell because the stitches are flattened and pretty dense.

This one is a lot simpler:

I can actually see what's going on with it and I've decided my weekend project will be replicating it, though not necessarily same number of stitches because I can't count. I do have some color changing cotton yarn for the border, though. Looking forward to having some not-ugly potholders for my kitchen.

Anyhow, anyone else have a hard time with following instructions/patterns and/or not use patterns? Also are there any good resources for diagram-style patterns? I come across them on Google image searches sometimes but they seem to be in random places and are not the prevailing format for pattern instructions.

Queen Victorian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 28, 2022

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

Dale Carnegie
By diagrams, do you mean charts? They're not as common ime but I find them a little harder to work from, I haven't got the hang of them yet so don't tend to look for them. You could probably try a Rav search with 'chart' in the instructions filter.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
If you have trouble keeping track of counting your stitches, stitch markers will be a life saver. I prefer the ones that lock into place so they don’t accidentally slide off while I’m working, like so: https://www.knitpicks.com/locking-stitch-markers/p/80592

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

left_unattended posted:

By diagrams, do you mean charts? They're not as common ime but I find them a little harder to work from, I haven't got the hang of them yet so don't tend to look for them. You could probably try a Rav search with 'chart' in the instructions filter.

I'm talking about this sort of format:

For me, it's like reverse engineering on easy mode - I really like the stitches and their relationship with the stitches in the previous row being plainly drawn out like that (rather than written out in a flurry of acronyms and abbreviations that I have to interpret). When I read written patterns, I automatically try to convert it to a diagram format in my mind so I can visualize what I need to do. It's really difficult because I'm not at all fluent in crochet acronyms and the way patterns are written are not standardized and are of varying quality, so I get tripped up by them extremely easily.

The diagram/chart format actually seems relatively common in crochet lace, but not in other areas of crochet, unfortunately. But luckily lace is one of the things I want to get into.

ElScorcho posted:

If you have trouble keeping track of counting your stitches, stitch markers will be a life saver. I prefer the ones that lock into place so they don’t accidentally slide off while I’m working, like so: https://www.knitpicks.com/locking-stitch-markers/p/80592

I do have some stitch markers (they came with the cute learn to crochet kit my husband got for me), but they are the key ring style with the overlapping ends so they are annoying to use and get snagged easily. Those safety pin style ones look a lot easier to use - I'll definitely pick some up. Thanks!

But yeah, it's hard to overstate how flustered I get trying to keep count. Even if I'm working on something small or do stitch markers, I doubt whether I put it on the right stitch and if I actually even counted to the stitch correctly and what if it's wrong and my whole project gets offset etc etc.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

I'm talking about this sort of format:

For me, it's like reverse engineering on easy mode - I really like the stitches and their relationship with the stitches in the previous row being plainly drawn out like that (rather than written out in a flurry of acronyms and abbreviations that I have to interpret). When I read written patterns, I automatically try to convert it to a diagram format in my mind so I can visualize what I need to do. It's really difficult because I'm not at all fluent in crochet acronyms and the way patterns are written are not standardized and are of varying quality, so I get tripped up by them extremely easily.

The diagram/chart format actually seems relatively common in crochet lace, but not in other areas of crochet, unfortunately. But luckily lace is one of the things I want to get into.

I do have some stitch markers (they came with the cute learn to crochet kit my husband got for me), but they are the key ring style with the overlapping ends so they are annoying to use and get snagged easily. Those safety pin style ones look a lot easier to use - I'll definitely pick some up. Thanks!

But yeah, it's hard to overstate how flustered I get trying to keep count. Even if I'm working on something small or do stitch markers, I doubt whether I put it on the right stitch and if I actually even counted to the stitch correctly and what if it's wrong and my whole project gets offset etc etc.

Yeah, these are called charts. I believe on ravelry you can filter your searches for charts, so that may help. Sorry I can't confirm (I can't use rav anymore) but give it a shot. The great thing about charts is you can use a lot of patterns not translated into English. The downside is that I find most English language patterns do not use them.

I use the safety pin style markers, they're a godsend.

As far as how to actually mark the stitches, that's going to come partly from practice/experience, and partly from understanding the anatomy of the stitch to start with. Anything taller than a single crochet has a 'post' and a 'chain' portion of the stitch. There's a front or top portion of the chain that looks like the knitting V, and the back/bottom is that third leg. With experience you will become better able to read your fabric and differentiate your stitches.

For me, it's key to be consistent in which part of the stitch I mark. If you're doing filet with two to three chains between your taller stitches, for instance, you may find it helpful to mark the posts for counting purposes. For other stitches, especially in the round, I slip the marker in between the V and back leg of the chain portion of the stitch (this is where the hook goes when you're crocheting into a chain rather than a chain space). From there it's just remembering whether that was your first stitch or the end of the round (I do not mark slip stitches, generally). I'd recommend you mark the beginning of the round, since most people find that more intuitive, but it's just personal preference.

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

I keep doing projects where the given pattern is wrong and I end up having to fix it. I can understand for free patterns but it keeps happening with paid patterns and it pisses me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Hello hookers, I made my lady friend a scarf a few weeks ago.