Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes. Looking for 3d modelling software. (High-level; I don't think that's the point of this thread, but this seems like the best place) I downloaded Blender, and am about to dive into official tutorials. Is this the way to go? Seems like full-featured, well-designed and battle-tested, and is free, as opposed to the alternatives. Should I go with this, pirate something? (Not paying ~$2k/year or w/e), or buy something priced reasonably? Using it as a design aid for projects to build.

Although maybe this is an excuse to dork around in gfx-rs...

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Ooh good point. So CAD is something more tied into real world, while Blender etc is more assets for games/films etc that never leave the computer? I am looking for the former. I want to build a modular aeroponics thing for plants. Could Blender still work for this?

I also kind of want to learn gfx-rs. I made a 4d rendering system with vulcano before, but that seems dead, and the docs were bad.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Awesome; Diving into Fusion 360 right now!

Does anyone have any tutorial recommendations? The official one is not really doing a good job from a user's perspective; it's rapid-firing throughout the functionality without context.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 2, 2020

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you. I'm going to press with the official tutorial, and or playing around. It has all the content needed to learn; feels like a reference in video form rather than a learning aid.

Ie, it's going over preferences, shortcuts, multiple ways to access tools before showing you how to make a box, so you have no context on what you'd use them for, and brain-dump them.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 4, 2020

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Thank you very much! Diving into learning about parametric modelling. I appreciate those guidelines/building blocks!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Love the parametric approach. It feels like how a programmer would 3d model. This tutorial is very nice. It walks you through how to build something, and in doing so lets you use various tools and features in a way where you see what you'd use them for.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

This is almost striking me as life skill I somehow missed category. The official tutorials are so bad though... It feels like they were designed in a meeting, and the approach was never tested on new users, ie the target audience.