Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

OneEightHundred posted:

Loading opengl32.dll will get the appropriate DLLs. Apparently you'd want to use vanilla GetProcAddress for the regular entry points and wglGetProcAddress for everything else, but I really don't know how well that behaves with various OpenGL versions. Best practice is to use GPA for the whole interface.

I may be wrong on this whole thing too.
Alright, googled around for a while and found this: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/q3opengl/ as well as comments that the only reason they did that in Q3 was to make it possible to switch 3d drivers at runtime without restarting the game. Furthermore, if i read that code right, all it does is use the plain OpenGL32.dll function calls for core functions anyhow and extensions like this occlusion stuff have to be loaded with wglGetProcAddress either way as it's already happening.

Unless i'm missing something, i'd only be doing lots of work to duplicate something that's already there.

OneEightHundred posted:

It's redundant, checking query availability automatically flushes. NV_occlusion_query didn't do that so it's probably a leftover from that.
Nice, less code. :)

OneEightHundred posted:

It's not a terrible idea to flush if you're going to do other things before you request the query results though.
I'm only gonna be doing some Perl logic preparation, so that shouldn't be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Just a random note to anyone following the occlusion query stuff above: Don't forget to delete the queries once you're done with 'em. :gonk:

Edit: Also, question: How would i go about making a polygon render visibly from both sides without rendering it twice?

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 11, 2008

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

glDisable(GL_CULL_FACE)
Of course. :doh:

Thanks. I needed it to make the occlusion check shapes also render when the camera is inside them.

Now i only need to make the shapes a bit more fine-grained with the help of the stuff from the gamedev thread and then i can get back to the fun stuff. :D

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Well, for one thing: First off make sure you know programming. Begin by picking up a book on whatever language the iPhone uses.

Then, what helped me tremendously were the NeheGL tutorials [ http://nehe.gamedev.net/ ]. However take these with a grain of salt. They show the most simple, quick and rudimentary way to get certain things done and help you to understand what's going on. However you would NEVER actually use the things they show in production as they are demonstrated there, as the most simple way is usually also the least optimal.

Edit: Also, this guy comes recommended by people who hate the Nehe tutorials: http://www.xmission.com/~nate/opengl.html

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 11, 2008

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

Don't do that, not only does it break if something inside of the volume is obscuring the outer hull,
drat, right.

OneEightHundred posted:

but it's much cheaper to just use convex visibility volumes and check if the camera point is inside.
Is that another awesome OpenGL technique i never heard of or is it just a fancy way to say "check where your camera is"? :)

Alright, got it. :)
vvvv

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 12, 2008

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Can you try giving a bit more information? When i tested it in my project i also made a few test to see if the reported pixel count was right and it was in every case for me.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

You may want to simply generate/load a texture with varying alpha values and draw the rectangle with that texture. Just make sure you have all the blending flags (refer to tutorials linked earlier in the thread) enabled and draw the rectangle last.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Wavefront .obj is what you're looking for. With a tiny bit of understanding of what the abbreviations mean it is even human-readable for smaller models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

shodanjr_gr posted:

I render at 512 * 512 resolution, a scene comprising of 2 spheres and a quad, 3 times (i'm doing shadowmapping), and this thing draws at LESS than 1 frame per second and hammers the CPU like there is no tomorrow.

Just for kicks, try dropping the spheres and stick to cubes for now. See what happens.