Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

At any given time i'm rendering 45-180 display lists per frame.
That's quite a bit. It might help to merge some of them if possible to avoid any overhead with state switching in between. Also to repeat what was said above: use tri_strips_ if you can. They reduce the vertex data sent to card by up to 30% compared to triangle lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

HauntedRobot posted:

What are the performance considerations of doing this? For instance, does it poo poo all over my z buffer precision if in the same scene I'm drawing a 4 poly pyramid on the horizon that's hundreds of units tall and doing detail work close up?
In that case you wouldn't run into z-buffer problems. z-buffer fighting only becomes apparent when there are close objects rendered at large distance. If you have say a weapon model close to the camera and a pyramid at the horizon you should be okay. If you were to add a decal to the pyramid's surface you will definitely see problems. If you place a tree in between your camera and the pyramid you may or may not notice problems.