Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Hubis posted:

Actually, having threads from the same subgroup hitting the same global atomic is ironically probably going to be faster, because you can coalesce the atomic within a warp (essentially as a parallel sum) and then do a single write to the global address.

At least Intel doesn't do this; explicit subgroup ops made a shader of mine an order of magnitude faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

peepsalot posted:

Since the attributes are not interleaved, is there any way to have them indexed separately from the vertices?

There is not, but you can always use a storage buffer instead of a vertex attribute, and index it with whatever logic you like.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Is your code validation clean? Wouldn't be shocked if you're hitting a moltenvk or driver bug, "old integrated Mac" is almost the worst environment you could've chosen.

It's also not really an unrealistic shader at all, most games do something similar for full screen passes.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 23, 2022

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I think they're still not widely supported, so if you use them it can only be as an optional extra, which makes it a harder sell.