Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

not a dinosaur posted:

Any thoughts on a 3D modeller that meshes well with OpenGL? I want to do some basic low-poly modelling and skeletal (I guess?) animation.

I'm tooling around in Blender right now. Is this a reasonable choice?
Some people use milkshape or whatever gmax is called now but those are both lame in my experience (disclaimer: everyone has their own tastes and a lot of people prefer the interface of what they first started learning with). I recall Mithaldu likes Wings3d but I don't care for it too much and its not very full featured on its own.

Blender is ok but theres soooo much better modellers out there, especially the commercial ones. Some of them have student/learning editions or trials (both Silo 3d and Modo come to mind, and they're both excellent). Just because they happen to be really fully featured besides doesn't mean you can't do low poly models in them just as easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

brian posted:

It was just what a tutorial was doing, I changed it to 1.0f for the near plane but either way it ran fine.

If its the Nehe tutorials you should be aware that they contain a lot of out of date or just plain bad advice!

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

The1ManMoshPit posted:

Does anybody know of an alternative to glReadPixels on the iPhone (OpenGL ES 1.5)? I'm profiling a section of my code that needs to read some data that I've rendered into an FBO and a quarter of my time is spent just copying data out with glReadPixels. This seems especially ridiculous since the iPhone's video memory is actually shared main memory iirc, so it seems like I should just be able to get a pointer to it somehow which would obviously speed my code up immensely.

Are you using BGRA format?

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow
Sorry I wasn't much help The1ManMoshPit, the only reason I said try BGRA was because some comments on a GPGPU website led me to believe that for most ATI and NVIDIA cards, BGRA was the native format and RGBA was a little slower, obviously that isn't true for the iphone :(

I'm a real novice at 3d stuff and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on getting a (relatively) simple program to work.
A while ago I made a program which generated descriptions of triangles (i.e. it would make a list of 200 or so collections of 6 float coordinates between 0 and 1 and 4 float colours between 0 and 1). I was using cairo to draw the triangles, comparing them against a source image and giving a similarity score out of 1.0 with 0 being completely dissimilar and 1 being identical.

The source code is all in this thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197725

As posted the code doesn't work but I have no idea why; I know I screwed up something with opengl but I'm not experienced to know what.
It will run, but all the pictures it generates seem to be utterly random rather and never improve in fitness, which doesn't happen when rendering with cairo.

If anyone could give the second class in that thread, "render.py" a look over and tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing I'd greatly appreciate it.