Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I've got what feels like a noob question. I'm trying to learn about using shaders, and things are going fine, except that I can't get it to run on my laptop! My stuff works fine on my desktop with its real OpenGL 2.x graphics card, but my laptop only supports OpenGL 1.4. However, I read that shaders were originally introduced in 1.4 as an extension. And, as a matter of fact, glxinfo reveals extensions such as GL_ARB_fragment_program and GL_ARB_vertex_program which sound like what I want.

I found calls like glCreateShaderObjectARB() in a sample program on the internet. Trouble is, it's in an if(GLEW_VERSION_1_5) block, while I'm at 1.4. When I bypass this check and force it to use the 1.5 calls, it segfaults on the glCreateShaderObjectARB() call.

How can I use GL shaders in a OpenGL 1.4 implementation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sex offendin Link posted:

What hardware are you on? There may be a vendor-specific shader extension you can use instead of the ARB feature.

I'm not even entirely sure. Looks like Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM 4.1.3002 according to glxinfo. Crummy integrated graphics :) I could dig up the actual card name if that's needed.

Also a little more digging looks like I might need GL_ARB_vertex_shader etc. The phrase "shader" doesn't show up in glxinfo at all.

Edit:
Yeah looks like I need

GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_vertex_shader
GL_ARB_fragment_shader

None of which are present. Am I SOL on shader support?

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 24, 2008

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

"program" refer to the early pseudo-assembly shaders, not GLSL. Last I knew, Intel has no support for GLSL on anything lower than the X3100, and I'm not sure if it's on the X3100 either.

If you're going to target Intel hardware, you may want to check out Cg, which will allow you to target ARB programs and GLSL shaders with the same code.

Yeah, it's an Intel X3100 and it doesn't support shaders (unless I'm not understanding something). I guess I'll poke around and see what my alternatives are.