Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Skunkduster posted:

My mill uses R8 collets, but I was thinking of getting some 5C collets with hex and square collet blocks and maybe an indexer down the line to do fluted shafts and knobs. I'm wondering if getting collets in increments of 16ths of an inch will be good enough. For example, if I am trying to hold a piece that is 17/64ths, would it fit in a 1/4" collet? If not, would it be too loose in a 5/16ths collet?

My question is mostly academic as I'm just a hobbyist that turns and mills stuff for my own use, so I could most likely just turn whatever I plan to put in the collet to a multiple of 16ths and it would be just fine.

They have drawbacks of their own, notably needing more length to clamp down on and being front closing, but ER collets have a much less narrow clamping range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah I was going to recommend ER collects as well, I've always used them for drills and reamers when I need something more sturdy or permanent than a drill chuck and I think they have like a 1mm range?

I've never used anything bigger than er32 but I think er40 gets up to an inch capacity which might be similar to 5c?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

For the index head think real hard about what you would need to do with it that a lathe chuck couldn't handle

I'm going to let my ignorance shine here and ask how do you index with a lathe chuck? I don't plan on making gears or precise splined shafts, so an indexing head is one of those "maybe some day" items that I might only use once every couple of years.

In response to the other posts, I'm not dead set on 5C. If ER collets will work better, than I have no problems going that direction. I mainly want to be able to use square and hex collet blocks on the mill for situations where I make a round knob and I want to put some grooves in it for a better grip or maybe milling four or six faces on a turned object so I can get a wrench or socket on it. For handles, a knurling tool is another thing on my wish list.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I misread what you wanted to do and thought you were talking about holding work in a dividing head with collets instead of the standard 3-jaw or 4-jaw that usually comes on those.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Skunkduster posted:

I'm going to let my ignorance shine here and ask how do you index with a lathe chuck? I don't plan on making gears or precise splined shafts, so an indexing head is one of those "maybe some day" items that I might only use once every couple of years.

In response to the other posts, I'm not dead set on 5C. If ER collets will work better, than I have no problems going that direction. I mainly want to be able to use square and hex collet blocks on the mill for situations where I make a round knob and I want to put some grooves in it for a better grip or maybe milling four or six faces on a turned object so I can get a wrench or socket on it. For handles, a knurling tool is another thing on my wish list.

ER collets have the benefit of clamping on two surfaces (front of collet-back of collet. So as you lock it down it gives you better rigidity for the tool. We use a lot of 5C collets and in our experience you have a +0 / - 0.002" window for best behavior. We strictly buy Special Accuracy Hardinge and even then it's frustrating come inspection time. We do 100% inspection and regularly send them back.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Yooper posted:

ER collets have the benefit of clamping on two surfaces (front of collet-back of collet. So as you lock it down it gives you better rigidity for the tool. We use a lot of 5C collets and in our experience you have a +0 / - 0.002" window for best behavior. We strictly buy Special Accuracy Hardinge and even then it's frustrating come inspection time. We do 100% inspection and regularly send them back.

Sounds like ER is the way to go. I initially looked up hex/square R8 collet block holders and came up with nothing, but I did see quite a few hits for 5C so I assumed that was the alternative. Glad I checked here first. With a little bit of research, it seems that ER32 is fairly common and has compatible hex/square collet blocks and indexers. Keeping in mind that I'm a hobbyist with a mini lathe and benchtop mill in my basement and not a production shop, is there any reason going with ER32 would be a bad idea? Thanks!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Skunkduster posted:

Sounds like ER is the way to go. I initially looked up hex/square R8 collet block holders and came up with nothing, but I did see quite a few hits for 5C so I assumed that was the alternative. Glad I checked here first. With a little bit of research, it seems that ER32 is fairly common and has compatible hex/square collet blocks and indexers. Keeping in mind that I'm a hobbyist with a mini lathe and benchtop mill in my basement and not a production shop, is there any reason going with ER32 would be a bad idea? Thanks!

Not really. And ER collet chucks work really well on small lathes. Just make sure ER32 goes up to the max size you may need before you start standardizing on it. If not you can look at ER40, though I think 32 is a lot more widely used.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

Does anyone know what kind of steel wood auger bits are typically made of? I'm guessing some type of carbon or tool steel; I assume HSS would be too brittle and overkill for wood anyway.

I'm trying to modify a 1" auger bit to accept a carbide spade drill insert. After successfully cutting the slot, drilling both mounting holes(breaking a cheap carbide bit on each when they caught while emerging on the far side), and tapping one of them, I inextricably broke a tap in the second hole(the last operation, naturally).

Anyway, I'm thinking I'll try annealing it before the next attempt, but it would be nice to know what kind of steel it is to better anneal it and have some idea how much I can bring down the hardness.

I figure this is ideally a job for EDM, but I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

You should be able to get that tap out and try again.

I would edm this. For a one off it would be cheaper than a carbide tap or thread milling.

Major downside is I usually get threads back from edm that the no go gauge pops right in.

I'm mostly surprised you successfully tapped the first hole.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Me too. I wasn't terribly shocked when it broke, but I was hoping I could extract it without too much trouble since it was a pretty short through-hole. Unfortunately it was too jammed in to rotate out with a punch, and being an M4 hole I had hardly any room for drilling attempts.

I went ahead and gave annealing the bit a shot. It was quite successful, much softer. I trimmed the previous attempt off and cut a new slot, it cut much easier and came out cleaner than the first one so I'm pretty pleased. From the sparks I'm thinking it's some flavor of high carbon.

I'm feeling pretty sanguine about being able to drill and tap tomorrow. Given the application I'm not sure I'll even need to reharden it when I'm done.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Ice drill update in case anyone was wondering: Works like a hot drat. One of my guys did four ice checks in the time it previously took to do one.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Amazing!

When you first asked that question, I was thinking of all the ways home-made carbide tooling would go wrong. But ice drilling! That was a great idea.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
New machine day!

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

It's adorable!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
My own first lathe was a very similar one, used it for years, learned lots from it.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

New machine day!

I have a mini lathe and found that Frank Hoose's videos are very helpful in learning how to use it and tune it up.
https://www.youtube.com/@frankhoose/playlists

Also, you'll probably want to upgrade that tool holder to a quick change tool post sooner rather than later.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=-419988835

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Skunkduster posted:

I have a mini lathe and found that Frank Hoose's videos are very helpful in learning how to use it and tune it up.
https://www.youtube.com/@frankhoose/playlists

Also, you'll probably want to upgrade that tool holder to a quick change tool post sooner rather than later.
https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_category.php?category=-419988835

It came with a quick change tool post...

...for ants

Its the dinkiest lil thing I've ever seen. Oh well, its a start.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

It came with a quick change tool post...

...for ants

Its the dinkiest lil thing I've ever seen. Oh well, its a start.

I'd love to see a picture of it if you get a chance.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Skunkduster posted:

I'd love to see a picture of it if you get a chance.

Here it is just sitting on the compound not bolted in. Maybe 1.5” tall

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CarForumPoster posted:

Here it is just sitting on the compound not bolted in. Maybe 1.5” tall

Whatever image host you're using isn't showing images.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Shows up for me?

Edit: Shows up on mobile, but not on my laptop.

armorer fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 28, 2024

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

It's fine

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It didn't show up on phone or laptop OR VPN, so I posted.... it's fine now.

Very strange.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
It shows up just fine, it's just that small.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
What's the best way of doing a straight "rip cut" on sheet steel? I've got a piece of 20 gauge mild steel and right now I'm planning on clamping it down and using an angle grinder with a cutting wheel. But if there's a better method/tool I'm open to it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

For 20 gauge steel?

Foot shear, if you can find one wide enough for your work.

Failing that, CNC plasma or laser cutter.

Failing that, a circular saw with the appropriate blade.

Failing that, power nibbler with a ruler clamped down as a fence to make a straight line.

Failing that, some sort of grinder with an abrasive cutting wheel.

Failing that, tin snips.

Failing that, a cold chisel and hammer.

Failing that, bend it a lot along the line and rip it apart (wear gloves; might have to bulk up first).

If none of those work for you, unfortunately, I'm out of ideas!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what are the dimensions of the sheet? If it's like four feet wide and long, your options are far fewer than if it's like eight inches

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ah, it's 18 gauge. So a bit thicker than 20. I got it wrong in my first post.

And it's 9 inches wide. I have a plasma cutter but it's not cnc. I wouldn't say I'm good with it but maybe this is a chance to practice.

I have a 4 inch throatless shear that I just bought but it seems like it'd bend it up a bit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/throatless-shear-38413.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you have a plasma cutter, just cut a long strip of masonite (ruler and box cutter) and clamp it onto the metal as a template and run the nozzle along the edge to get a straight line.

The shear will give you a cleaner cut, if it can do the required geometry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cutting across 9 inches with a hack saw isn't too bad, clamp to a block to prevent it from bending at the cut. You'll need to go from each side towards the middle because of the maximum depth of cut, and probably tilt to a pretty shallow cut for the very middle bit, but it's do-able. For one cut. If you're making a dozen cuts, don't do that.

Another thing you can do since it's mild steel is clamp a guide and score it across your line with a carbon steel tool. Ten or so passes with a very sharp scribe or even just a box cutter, anything with a hardened edge, to gouge deep into the metal, then bend back and forth at your scribed line and it should snap off.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I just did a couple of test bends with my metal brake. They came out more rounded than I'd like.

I'm hoping to roughly match the sort of mildly rounded 90 degree corners of square tube. Is that realistic? What can I do to tighten up the corners? I'm planning on trying different positions of the clamping plate. I'm also going to try scoring the outside edge of the bend to give the metal a natural break point. Anything else I ought to do?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

e: nvm

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah pushing the toe of your clamping plate closer to the bending point will tighten that up, I think you only want slightly more than your sheet thickness between the edge of the clamp and the lower apron or whatever the name of the plate that swings up is. I usually left it set for the thickness of whatever my most common thick material was but if I needed a real crisp bend I'd adjust it.

You shouldn't need to score it unless your material is too thick relative to the rigidity of your brake.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I have a cheap mini lathe and a benchtop mill and am just a hobbyist. I don't machine steel very often, but when I do, I use way oil as a lubricant because that's what I have. Is way oil (or motor oil) good enough, or is there a different lubricant that I should be using?

edit: I'm talking about mild steel like A36.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 11, 2024

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

at those scales you can get along just fine with nothing at all, cooling and lubrication are a game for people who need to push feed rates to meet a deadline

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Skunkduster posted:

I have a cheap mini lathe and a benchtop mill and am just a hobbyist. I don't machine steel very often, but when I do, I use way oil as a lubricant because that's what I have. Is way oil (or motor oil) good enough, or is there a different lubricant that I should be using?

edit: I'm talking about mild steel like A36.

You'll get some benefit from chips being less likely to load up on the tool nose. Beyond that, like IGA said, it'll be marginal. If I'm turning something I'll do a touch of oil or WD, you can definitely see the difference. But A36 always looks like poop regardless how nice you machine it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

however,

32 ounces of dark thread cutting oil is less than eight bucks at home depot and that's enough for three lifetimes of hobbyist work
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-32-oz-Dark-Thread-Cutting-Oil-30204/202078159

so why the hell not

I use "Lenox protool cutting lube" which costs more like ten bucks for a little bottle, but I only use a drop or two for cutting metal and that means my little bottle is gonna last decades

is it better? poo poo I dunno, don't really care, if it saves me a single drill bit once, it's worth it

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 11, 2024

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I use superlube, because it doesn't smell like anything. And even WD40 is too strong smelling for my living room.

It's weird how context changes things like that. WD40 smells great in the machine shop. Bad in the home.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I like Tricool MD1. Makes your chips smell like french fries or summer rain

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Thanks for the replies. I was mainly concerned with heat ruining the end mills, so I figured it would help to add some lubricant. I'll pick up some of that Oatey dark thread tapping oil.

One the subject of tapping, my mill (https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5550) has a tapping function on it which slows the spindle speed down and enables the buttons on the feed handle to reverse the motor. I've used it before to tap small holes in aluminum and plastic with success. I had to drill and tap some 1/2"x13 holes in 5/16 steel plate (7/16" pilot) the other day and decided not to risk breaking the tap, so I did it by hand. I know this varies based on skill and experience, but where would you draw the line (as far as materiel and size) between feeling comfortable tapping with the mill and doing it by hand?

HolHorsejob posted:

I like Tricool MD1. Makes your chips smell like french fries or summer rain

To me, those are two very different smells. Does it depend on the material you are cutting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If you pick up a floating tap holder and its thru holes that usually works pretty well. You can also pick up a self reversing tapping head (which isnt cheap tho) which makes blind tapping even on a drill press pretty easy. I'd be pretty nervous hand-reversing a tap in a blind hole, especially without a floating tap holder. The biggest danger is bottoming out and your tap continuing to try and drive itself down and breaking the shaft from the torque, I've never tried it in a drill press or mill but maybe some kind of clutched chuck like on a hand drill would help?