Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

IsaacNewton posted:

I don't want to stray the topic off of gears which is pretty interesting, but I found this VERY interesting to watch and figured this thread could use it. :)

http://video.pbs.org/video/1772044886

Why is rod iron not made anymore?

Do you mean wrought iron?

Also, the show is the Woodwright's Shop, which is in general pretty cool. They had a neat episode one time about making violins, but that's for another thread. EDIT: This episode specifically was about a blacksmith working with wrought iron.

All those gearings are really interesting. I almost want to try and make my own gears. Especially some of the weirder, less common ones.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

What happened to Launch Missiles! homosexual robot? :smith:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

The Scientist posted:

Anyway, the trick is that you heat the mating surfaces up with a torch, and then touch it with a candle and the melted wax is drawn up in there via capillary action. I guess the wax acts as a lubricant, although I've only ever seen it used as such when skateboarders wax a rail they're about to skate. In surfing, in fact, wax is used as the exact opposite of a lubricant.

Wax repels water, so it keeps the surfboard "dry" to give your feet some non-wet grip. Don't know that it helps that much, but yeah. I think the wax idea could work. I don't think it'll hurt, either, if it doesn't work.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

What in the gently caress? Why is everything cutting like poo poo?

Sooooo... who touched the plasma table?

(Boss's son wanted to try and "teach himself CNC" but I think the xbox controller we use to jog is to blame. He's a young kid.)

Also, hello thread. I program and operate a plasma table at a metal shop. I'm somewhat new to it. It is fun. To add to the kink, I have cut out dicks. They've been 2D, but still.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Anybody else have a wall of shame?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

7 years of metal is a long thread on SA.

Pagan posted:

To celebrate the anniversary, here's a photo I took today. This is from a bunch of jr high girls taking metalworking classes, and this shot in particular came out great.

This owns

Cakefool posted:

I want the matchless and Indian logos. What's wrong with them?

Matchless has a lot of pieces that are not fully cut out. Haven't had time to go back and get them out by hand. The Indian logo has some places where the plasma cutter blew out or sat too long while piercing. Incorrect settings on my part :shobon:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I'm pretty sure that 304 stainless still rusts fairly readily, comparative to other stainless. Aluminum is going to be just as stainless as ss, and much easier to bend. If you're working in 1/4", whatever tubing you might order will probably be pretty thin wall, so it might crumple and kink easily when you try to put a bend in it.

I'd agree and say paint or clear coat some mild steel if you can.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You should just hold your vices in your vices. Handy storage and you still get to use all your vices.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

My dad fished his old speedglas 9000x out of his garage and sent it to me. That's cool. It won't turn on. That's less cool. :(

I checked the voltage on the batteries in there (CR2032, 3V), they clocked in at 3.1V, which is great. I tried them in all orientations. I tried brand new batteries. In all orientations. I can't even get a low battery indicator. Supposedly, when you turn it on, a little bit of shade should kick in, but I see nothing. The manual says a TV remote works as a simulated arc to trigger the shade, I did that, I get nothing. The contacts look clean. The photodiodes on either side of the lens look clean. Any ideas? I just wanna try out my tombstone. :(

Does that helmet or lens have a sensitivity setting? or a darkness setting?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You ever think this is a cover? Like he's planning on pissing off someone who would be using a chainsaw and needs a way to protect himself?

That said, I think 16 GA is about as heavy as you need to go. I'd flare the top/bottom so your attacker's chainsaw doesn't slide into unprotected areas.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

I will start with this. Looking ahead, a question that'll need answering: How do I test whether this works without ruining a perfectly good chainsaw?

You start with a number of perfectly good legs and a number of steel greaves of varying thicknesses. Use the lightest gage greave first and work your way up until the leg beneath is no longer harmed. But you should definitely have multiples of each leg and greave gage to insure that you have a greater sample size and can be sure of your results.

This method makes certain that you ruin as few chainsaw blades as possible. They aren't cheap, you know!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Funny coincidence. We just got a South Bend model A at my job yesterday and it still had the leather belt on it. It also came with the original square wrenches, straight and diamond knurlers, three-jaw chuck, and a bunch of cutting tools, some still with the wax on them. It surprisingly runs alright after being oiled up. It came from an old dude who got it from a school that apparently never used it. I'm very excited to use it. I made a pin punch already to test it out. woohoo

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

10 Beers posted:

As someone who knows nothing about this stuff but loves seeing the stuff you guys make, does that mean that it works for 15 seconds, then you have to let it rest for 9 minutes and 45 seconds?

Exactly.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Might be better known as failure investigator. Essentially I work in a lab to figure out how metal components fail, but you get really familiar with alloy systems, processing techniques, that sort of thing. You have to understand how something was made to figure out how it may have broken in many cases.

Sorry if that's not very specific, I find it kind of hard to describe.

That sounds pretty neat. Do you get down to like electron microscope images to say poo poo like "Yeah, interstitial poo poo's hosed" or something like that? Doping gone wrong? Do you have to deal with things like monocrystalline turbine blades? My best friend from high school is big into materials science and I'm in production, so it's always a good time when we get to talking.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

As an aside, thanks for the handy, compact list of youtube channels and poo poo I have to check out.

And yeah, those Clickspring clock videos give me a stiffy. And that crazy milling machine rigging is a bit.... crazy.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Before I clicked to embiggen, I thought it was just a bead somebody welded onto a circle. On embiggening, whoa. I have to assume chasing and repousse? That looks really neat. Is it for an entomologist or something? Don't know many people who actually like those little guys. Either way, looks super neat.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

Money is temporary, tools are forever.

Offer not valid at Harbor Freight.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Fumes? Pfft, those are shielding gasses.

I got pretty nauseated from breathing in zinc fumes before I knew that galvanized was not good to heat up. Would not recommend.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Slung Blade posted:

You might also find new and exciting potential failure points!

Who remember that lovely little flypress I bought?

Home_Alone_2_Marv_Wow_What_A_Hole.jpeg

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I really enjoy clean-up, resto, and maintenance rundown posts. This one was no exception.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Fire?

Could you cut off most of the handle, hold the head in a vice, and use a drill press to get out most of the handle left in the head? Dunno how that might work with those little metal wedges in there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Beardless posted:

Fire bad, you'll mess up the steel (this applies more to axes but still). The rest sounds fine though.

I dunno why I didn't think of that. True. Don't ruin your hammer like that

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Any time I think of leaf springs I think of how I want to make a big-rear end arbelast/crossbow and fire rebar out into the wild blue yonder, probably towards an empty field.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I might be misremembering, but it is possible to temper at like the 500F range and make the piece even more brittle. I think it's a sweet spot where if you temper it a bit hotter or a bit cooler, you'll soften the steel. That could be happening. I don't know the times needed for that.

The color of the steel kinda points towards it being in that temperature range though.

NE: Wikipedia at least kinda mentions this. Still don't know that that's what's happening here, but maybe?

God, it's been years since I took a materials science class.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

Yay a clean table!*

Does it really count if you just shove everything on the bottom shelf of the table?

Yes.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I hate using angle grinders and avoid using them whenever possible. There is exactly one grinder here with the shield and handle still attached at my shop, and all my coworkers won't use it, preferring the unshielded, no goggles, no glove, one-handed operation that they do. They're going to maim themselves and I have no idea how they've gone this long without doing so.

Unfortunately I've seen a lathe break an arm in person, so now I'm super paranoid about no gloves/long sleeves/hoodies around the lathes.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Also, gently caress you if you're using a grinder and pointing the sparks at a person, a box of oily rags (why is there a loving box of oily rags to begin with?!), or an oxy-acetylene line. You would loving think that even if you don't immediately realize the danger of what you'er doing, being outright told or having the danger manifested would be enough to get it through to someone. But no.

So yeah, I absolutely believe that dude didn't wear safety goggles the next day.

I like what I do, but I need to find a better place to work.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

Now here's a welding table, 4" thick top and t-tracks

Unnff

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I love hearing about someone else's monumental fuckups. Two retired machinists came in today to set up our new (to us) shear and giant bandsaw. Someone tried unloading a big ol' CNC laser cutter by sliding it down a ramp into position. It tumbled. Then they tried flipping it over with a couple forklifts. It was apparently, uh.... unusuable.

I think AvE? got a bridgeport mill and slid it down a ramp to get it into place? I remember being uncomfortable watching that video. I can't imagine watching the couple hundred thousand dollar laser cutter tumble.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I made a joke post in my HS reunion facebook page about my business making and selling custom sex furniture. (I don't.) And I've gotten a lot of private messages.

I think this is how my gently caress furniture business starts. Threat title will be kept in mind.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Money will make people do some weird stuff. And build things for weird stuff! The frame itself seems pretty easy. Gussets are easy enough to draw up and cut on the plasma table. Stainless steel chain, shackles, 3/4T hoist, should be good. Then, uh.... about the actual swing and cuffs. I ain't got no clue. But it looks like some people want me to make cuck furniture for them.

E: I'm not an engineer who figures out what to build out of, I just build and cut out what's on the plans, but 1/8" wall tube should be plenty strong with 1/4" gussets, right? What's the worst this thing could see, a 350lb person in a swing rocking back and forth?

E2: I mean, that's gotta be way, way overkill, right?

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Somewhat related, who was it in here that forged the sweet, leafy shackles? Slungblade? Ambrose?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

If you're not careful going into the bone, the body may provide its own coolant.

And gently caress, I can't imagine what that expanding bolt feels like, opening up inside your lip.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

It is going to be a permanent/semi-permanent piece in their studio.

They have a studio for this, apparently.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

^^^ I've been thinking about getting a pair of those Howard Leights. How long do the batteries last in them?

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I've been learning to use the plasma cam at school cause I've needed it this term for a pile of my students projects. Just basic poo poo like signs and clock faces really. I really like what it can do but there are some downsides. The CAD package that it runs on is a pile of hot garbage that can't be hosed off fast enough but it's what works so we need to use it. In 1.5mm mild steel it also has issues cutting finer details. I get that if what it's trying to cut is too fine the initial puncture will affect the metal outside of the whole but the remainder of the line will be a little on the wobbly side. I've played with the cutting speed but it doesn't completely fix it so I think what's happening is the sheet heats up too much on the first cut of a numeral and then distorts when it cuts the other half. Running one clock face at a time causes issues but they mostly went away when I did at once so I dunno. Anyone have experience with these and where to start troubleshooting?

The sheet distorts and cutting slowly, one at a time, fixes the problem? So that definitely sounds like you're putting too much heat into the work. When you say you messed with cutting speed, did it help? Did you speed it up to minimize the amount of time you're putting heat into the material? What sort of machine, amperage and voltage? What is your cutspeed like?

The issue with the cut being "wobbly" and the sheet heating up distorting sounds like a problem I had a while ago. The drawings I was using had so many vertices. My files were huge, and Mach3 was pretty much having trouble reading so many lines of G-Code to move such small distances that it was almost stuttering as it was going along, slowing down the cut speed and putting far more heat into the work. This problem is way worse with thinner sheet. It would have a distinctive stuttering sound to go along with the jagged/wobbly edge. My fix there, unfortunately, is to go back to the drawing and simplifyit as much as I can. If you're using fonts like possibly in a clock face, they can be bastards with how many vertices they got.

Your point with the initial pierce distorting the outside, do you not have an arc-in/arc-out for your cut paths? Like, say you want a square cutout in a larger piece, the black in the drawing, your cut path would be the red outline. The arc in/arc out would have it line up fairly nicely so you don't get any of the pierce oddities in your work, and instead it's in the waste.

I only have experience with my specific machine, so I don't know how much it'll help you, how much that transfers over. Anyway, hope some of that helped, somehow? If not, I'll try again?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Oh and keep the stuff far far away from alcohol. A really cool thing to do is cut a piece of acrylic -- looks fine -- and then wipe the dust off with isopropanol and watch over the next few minutes as it spontaneously fogs over and cracks along the cut edge. :waycool:

Really? Sounds crazy...

:dadjoke:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Maybe I missed it in your post, but what thickness of material are you planning to bend up with this? And what do you consider to be an acceptably sharp radius?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

I've watched all of AvE, Abomb79, This Old Tony, Clickspring. I've watched a good amount of Ox tool and Tubalcain. What other channels do you all watch? Anything close to AvE and ThisOldTony?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Second. Even his 5+ year old poo poo is still really cool and well done. Tubalcain can be stuck up his own rear end a lot of the time.

For sure, Tubalcain has his moments where I feel like my eyes are gonna roll themselves out of my skull. But he's got some Old Man Knowlege which is what I like to watch for.

Definitely will be checking out the recommendation, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Tangentially-related- I've stumbled upon "chatter tools" for wood-turning, handheld turning tools with thin + springy cutters as a design feature, to add regular divots/marks to whatever you've just turned as a deliberate decorative embellishment. I wonder if there's anything similar for metal turning. Physics of it are different enough for it to be a nonstarter, maybe, but :woop:

Having a long tool (:dong:) to purposefully vibrate and induce chatter seems feasible?

Related: AvE had a video on a device that changed the speed of a motor to reduce chatter, since resonance of the piece is part of the chatter problem puzzle. It didn't totally remove chatter, but iirc it worked enough as a proof of concept that it was pretty interesting.