Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Does anyone itt work or have experience on jewelry like this (including setting gems)?

goodness fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

ArtistCeleste posted:

Those look beautiful. I have made bezels and set stones before, but I am definitely not a jeweler. I am sure there would be people here who could guide you in the right direction though, if you have a question.

I am actually looking to find someone that can make something like this ! I agree it is very beautiful :D

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Combination of metalworking, wire wrapping and jewel cutting from a person I follow on FB.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats beautiful.

i'll put together an album of related work for you all to check out!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Did most of you guys/gals get into this starting with small or big stuff?

What tools would one need to start fabrication of smaller metal jewelry.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I started weaving maille, mostly because it's so accessible- a couple rolls of wire and rods and a jeweller's saw or flush-cut sidecutters and you're on your way. Turns out I was more interested in working with the wire itself, and hammering on thicker and thicker nonferrous wire, rod and barstock, and then sheet, and then i knew the sickness had me

e: The toolset you'll need will really depend on what you're interested in doing, and the scale of production you're interested in i.e. one-offs vs production runs. Just going to Rio Grande and looking at their different levels of starter kit will give you a place to start, but you'll want to tailor those core toolsets to your interests. For example, if I wanted to do jewellery casting, I could omit the lion's share of metal-forming tools, whereas if I'm doing stonesetting I'm going to need an entire distinct toolbox of flexshaft + bits n burs n burins and so on. Some techniques like repousse are really flexible and can successfully perform jobs like wire inlay and stonesetting with specialized punches, omitting the need for a lot of extra purchased tools.

Rio Grande has some great stuff, I was already checking them out for wire wrapping. Might be picking up a set for that soon so I can probably just add something onto that once I figure it out.

I have recently begun lampworking and looking into graphite/brass tools. Can anyone make something like these?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Following on from the copper plated experiment I posted a while back I've got it dialled in a bit more and can now Nickel plate my 3d prints.

I feel okay about posting it here since it really is metal. Magnetic and everything...

They both came out just as shiny. But a rub with black boot polish gives it a bit of age. The surface finish is dependant on how much prep you do before plating. In my case none. But the effect is that it looks cast which is fine for me.

My next piece is a miniature ark from the Indiana Jones film.

On the offchance does anyone know a good source for conductive paint that will ship to the UK? Prices seem madly expensive but I'm convinced there's some other non hobby application that will be a reasonable price. I was looking at some of the conductive aerosols intended for EMI shielding which claim to be conductive but IDK.

Do you have an email I could use to get in touch with you? Have an idea about your plating I want to discuss more.

or contact me at themummra AT gmail DOT com

goodness fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 4, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Are there any non-metal casting mold materials that I could use to pour liquid silver into and it not destroy it? Trying to make jewelry casting molds at home so the only equipment I have is an oven.

goodness fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 20, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

I've roughly zero knowledge on the topic but could you make a 2-part plaster mold? It can handle up to 1200°C which should be well enough above the melting temp of silver maybe?

I didn't think something like plaster would be able to do it but that seems like it would work.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I thought this thread would appreciate this as well

artist Jeff Parke
https://www.instagram.com/j.parke/

Looks like engraved silver, with gold inlay and black enamel coating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Someone sent me a 1920 something silver Morgan dollar to play with. I've never engraved anything, where should I start looking up what tools/techniques I need