Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gimpalimpa
Jun 27, 2004
Title text?
Oookay. I wish I had seen this thread two days ago, but something tells me all hope is not lost.

Basically my dad has a lampworking studio set up in his basement. This means that I have access to a propane/oxygen torch, safety equipment, and tools. After browsing around the internets for awhile and watching some youtube videos, I figured I'd be able to make a ring rather easily. I obviously figured wrong. Now my goal is to try to salvage 450 bucks worth of casting grade 14k gold pellets.

I first tried to use some pyrex glass for a crucible, but the gold turned black so I stopped. Then I found a steel block and just torched the hell out of the gold until it melted. While I was able to fuse all the pellets into a solid piece, it's very brittle and completely black. After dremmeling the surface, I'm relieved to see that the black crap is only at the surface.

So I apparently need an actual crucible for this that will stand up to 1300c or so. After perusing this thread (and being mystified) I noticed a link to http://www.lmine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=LMS&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=&Product_Code=17366&Offset=&DEN_TINYCART_Ship=1.
Would these work for me?

Also, from what I gather, I picked up a ton of impurities from my barbaric methods. Will I be able to remove them by melting the hunk in one of these crucibles, adding some type of flux, and skimming the crap from the top? If so, what would be the preferred flux? I have a box of borax, but something tells me that may not be what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU