Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I just got a drill press and lathe from my father in law, he has moved out of the country and couldn't take it with him along with a bunch of steel/aluminum/brass stock. They are both Harbor Freight and I don't know what if any mods he has done to them, he was using it to make engine parts for model air planes.

Where should I look to learn how to use these tools and what should I know before setting them up. I was looking through the thread for things of the nature but seeing all the cool blacksmith stuff made me want to get a forge set up and no way I could do that right now.

Any tips or sites with a good community for a beginner to learn from would be nice.

pics of my work area:

r00tn00b fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
if I had a question of what some things were worth, or to sell them, would this be the place to ask, some tools, impact drill, bits and sockets, and some machine working things as well?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Hu Fa Ted posted:

I don't think anyone in the thread wants to become the machine shop version of pawn stars, but if it was interesting I doubt anyone would mind laying down what they thought an item was worth. Really, ebay is your best bet for a quote though.

Actually, Id like to learn to use it but don't even know where to begin. I got this all from my father inlaw, he used to build model air plane engines.
I have a mini lathe, bench top drill press, grinder and an assortment of dies and bits and a metal band saw etc... And I would love to learn how to use it to make things for around the house. I also got a few hundred pounds of raw stock of various types, aluminium, steel, stainless steel and brass.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I have been lurking in this thread for like 5 years now. I finally got the chance to do some work! My friend has a backyard forge and recently got some old wrought iron from a shipping barge wreck. I made a simple thing but im proud of it. I start real blacksmith classes at the end of the month. I got it a little to hot and burnt the hell out of one of my scrolls. i didn't get a before pic but it started out as a rusty lump of iron.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I wish i took more picture of this for progress pics, but My first big project outside of my blacksmith class is a straight edge razor and the scales. The blade is 01 tool steel and the scales are from a plank of purple heart, I haven't put any thing on them yet, so the color isn't there. The blade is not finished yet, still have to finish the grind and heat treat, as you can see in the picture i have some things to clean up on it, but its exciting to make something like this!

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Continuing my blacksmith journey I have made a thing:

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Face looks good, give us the deets! Mass, materials, construction techniques.
started with just over 2lb stock of 01 tool steel, and its done in the Brian brazeal style. took me a little over 7 hours of work, 4 hours of just striking. This was my first hammer i struck for most of it but directed the final part to get the look I wanted. The handle is made of White Oak and purple heart I laminated the finish is tung Oil, I have no power tools so it was hand planed and sanded. I have not gotten to use it yet, because of weather in the area and I don't have my own forge set up yet.

its a rounding hammer with one rounded face and a flat face, I am pretty excited to use this thing for the first time.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I just found a great buy on CL, .30lb for steel, bought it all out, 300lbs of steel for 100 bucks. I have project material for months

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
So I am building my first home forge, following plans i have.

brass cap with .60 gauge ole drilled into it, 3/4in brass pipe to the ball valve and then to the tank, all the fittings on that are good, tested connections with soap, no leaks.

the burner is a 1"x"1"1" T to a in connector nipple to a 1" to 3/4" bell reducer, 10" x 3/4" pipe to another 3/4" to 1" bell.
when I fire it up i get this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0lq2XjnNlg
I have a 0-30 regulator its on 20psi here in the video, do I have too much or to little pressure, or is my burner just bad?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Gealar posted:

It looks like there is too much gas to air. So to high on the pressure. I think I have mine set to 10ish psi. When you get the pressure right it should sound more like a rocket.

you were very right, I grabbed the wrong bit when I made my opening and I think it a 50 gauge instead of 60 and it was double the size it needed to be.

got a new cap and drilled the hole again with the right bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3DAsaFr8c8

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
took me a week but from metal and bricks to my own smithy

https://imgur.com/a/wa9nD1w

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
So i made the forge and the anvil and the hammer and then, I realized i didn't own any tongs! Best thing about being a smith, NEED A TOOK. MAKE A TOOL. these are the first ones ive made the rivet is garbage but they are mine I made them and I love them

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I made a knife this weekend, my very first one, it has its flaws but hey I did it and learned some things to take to my next project. the billet is Damascus but the etch is not very contrasting so you cant tell to much. nickle steel and 1084.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I only had a few hours at the forge this past weekend, I made a couple tools for this project and started work shopping with different twists I have seen. these two came out the best. I think I am going to do a larger production run of the square twist and see how they do at the local craft shop

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I recognize the second but not the first. How's the straight bar look?

I think the first one is called dragon scale. You cut on the diagonal on opposite sides. this is one side, you would do the same thing on the other.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I think I see it, like going down two edges of the square stock and cutting regular 'flaps' with a hot chisel/fuller then twisting, I guess?

The cut is on the diagonal to it makes little triangles. But yeah that's the gist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
cross posting my knife post because I also made some Damascus and a pipe tamp

quote:

Oh boy here I am again, posting about knives.
Image dump inc