Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
I'll give ya a cool 100 bucks, hell make it 150, you handle freight to ca??

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Any special rules for grinding and buffing titanium? Do I need dedicated belts n wheels (I remember vague rumblings about 'contamination')? This is gonna have to evolve into tumbling titanium soon, anybody have any experience with that?

It finishes up nicely with fine wet/dry paper, light grinding on alox wheels seems okay but watch the sparks and dust, and goddamn poo poo heats up like a mofucker, that's all I got :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

His Divine Shadow posted:

One of the originals and the new part:

Now I have to turn that round hole square, sounds like lots of filing.... A broach would be nice but I don't got any. I hear there are things called rotary broaches for lathes too that can make square or hex holes or whatever. But for me it's probably the file...

Consider setting up the lathe as a shaper, and indexing the chuck around in 90* increments to nip out the corners? It'd be a bit more fiddly than just doing a single keyway, and still fairly slow, but it'll work and save on most of the filing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR1pvQYFFck&t=303s

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Figured I'd see what I can do with some some random ~1/2"-3/4" hardware and 1.5" 6061 slugs that were laying around.

I think one of these 3/4"-10 s.s. grub screws will be getting bored out and turned into the male thread.

Face some slugs, drill/tap 1/2"-13 .500" deep, stick one on a threaded mandrel and take a few bites at 22.5* steps

Could take some finer steps, or file it pretty close to a true radius with some elbow grease, but I think this is probably good enough for now

Once the second half is caught up to match, I figure flip them over in the chuck and re-bore for some magic threads :bernin:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Finally got a chance to finish this thing up! Spin up the second quasi-hemisphere, and a few other bits to get started.

Some complications, mostly because I'm stubborn and wanted to use one of those shiny 3/4"-10 stainless setscrews for the main thread- my only matching tap was a taper tap, so thru holes only really, and def. no shallow blind holes since you don't reach full thread depth for 7+ turns. Also the lathe doesn't want to cut less than 11 tpi, so single pointing 'em was out. Decide to make a threaded bushing to press into a matching bore.

Finish the donor screw first- remove threads for .400", leave .375" of nice thread, step drill thru to 1/2", leaving about .06" wall at the narrow end. Plenty of meat for this one.

Pick out a slug of brass for the female thread, it should run really nicely on the rolled stainless threads without galling up. Bushing is ~.900" OD, .405" long, with a generous bottom-side OD chamfer to make install easy, and the topside OD left sharp. Final installed thread depth will be ~.025" longer than the male stud, to ensure things seat on the mating faces instead of bottoming out on the screw.

Once the thread assembly is happy and all is deburred, move on to finishing the shells. Put 'em back on the same 1/2" threaded mandrel and finish all OD work you may have forgotten (grooves, etc) before the next step!

Drill out 1/2"-13 threads to about .62" deep to form the bottoms of the storage cavity at either end. Happily rediscover a reground ball-ish end drill from a previous project, so they even look real nice down in there :3:

Bore .400" deep for a snug slip fit to the screw, we're gonna zap it in with loctite 609 so it wants a ~half thou to not squeeze out, ideally.

Final step- skim a thou off the face to confirm all is square and the mating surface is unbruised, then pull it, degrease both parts with acetone, loctite and press home.

While that's curing, finish up #2. Matching drill op, but the bushing dia. is a bit larger on this guy.

.400" deep by ~.901" dia, should still have at least ~.13" of meat at the thin corner down there, if my eyeball facets on the outside aren't too far off print.

Nip a quick chamfer with the compound on the drilled/bored bottom corner, it'll try and hide a sharp wire edge and you know someone's gonna stick their finger in there. Blue sharpie makes it easy to confirm it's gone, what with all the reflections. Leave the top edge of the bore sharp.

Confirm bushing fit, and pull/loctite/press when satisfied.

Set it aside for ~15 mins to chooch, and go get some coffee. Mmmm, coffee.

Okay now go pop it back in the lathe. Because we left the bushing standing proud of the mating face by ~.005" with some sharp corners on purpose, and that's because we want to skim a thou or two off the assembly as a whole. So get things running true, and do it.

Looks good, but does it screw??

Hell yeah, it sure does.

It closes up pretty drat good, the seam is "there" but blends in nicely, and the coarse threads and stainless/brass combo means it shoudn't get stuck closed, even if you crank the wrong way. Just gotta make sure the faces are wiped clean when it goes together so they don't scratch.

It's certainly not the way to make hundreds of them, but for a nice one-off G-job it should do the trick.

e:

shame on an IGA posted:

Well, might as well share the spreadsheet from my apprenticeship when I had to manually cut hemispheres all the time

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/0AqVxt1xVmOOzdGRYaV9CV3d2d1hvVG1KQ2pYWnZ3WkE/edit?usp=drivesdk

This is for cutting ball ends as a series of progressively shallower facing cuts. .020 between steps and cleanup with emery has worked well for me.

Yeah this works drat well, I prefer to blue up after stepping to see progress and use single cut files though, as I hate getting much emery/grit near a (good) lathe unless I can help it.

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 10, 2018

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

iForge posted:

i decided on a tool post and bought a small starter kit of insert tooling to mess around with. I have a bunch of HSS to use as well. The tool post cross slide nut will require modification to fit my lathe but I can have that done easily enough.

Hey looks like I'm a little late here, but imo the BXA / 200 series is probably too big for a ~12" swing machine? You don't really need the >1/2" shank capacity for most things, the added bulk of the larger post/holders will eat into yr work envelope, and you may run into issues bringing smaller tools up to, or larger shank tools down to centerline. Personally I'd go with an AXA / 100 series until 14"+, although I'm not a south bend whisperer so maybe I'm wrong in this case? Aloris is sweet as heck but phase II/etc aren't bad for the money and totally usable, if a bit squishier. Definitely stay with the wedge lock over the piston type, too. And save the lantern holder somewhere, you'll likely want it someday.

And get at least a couple spare 1/4" or 5/16" HSS sticks, they're only a couple bucks per and super flexible for all kinds of work. You can't afford to not have a couple on hand for that weird job that just came up https://www.amazon.com/HSS-cutting-tool-blanks-set/dp/B0002EXRWW/

Lovely old piece of iron ya got there :3:

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 4, 2018

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

my new apartment has one of those glass stovetops and it is making me acutely aware of the unflatness of the bottom of my cast iron skillet. should i surface it with a fly cutter y/n

Grab it in a four jaw and face it that way, if you can clear the handle swing?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
I don't have fully arbitrary pitches available, but I do have an HLV tumbler and some change gear options, pretty good odds I can find it in there. Send it my way?

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I'm struggling to find a mate for this screw. It is a "slotted raised countersunk" steel machine screw from a tool (a folding drawknife) made approximately the mid 1890s (pat. 1891) in Boston by JS Cantello. I'm restoring an old tool and I'm well aware that perfect is often unattainable or stupid expensive, so closest match is acceptable... the previous owner just jammed a too-long wrong screw in to replace the lost or broken one and backed up with a square nut which is kinda cool but I'd rather have the right screw if I can find it.

Referencing

L= about 21/32", but the tip is slightly rounded and it's tough to get lined up right and the threaded hole is open so it can be a bit longer or shorter

dk (head diameter) 3/8"

d 1/4"

b 1/4"? Actually, measuring with a micrometer, it's .211, which is close enough to .216 to call this a 12#-24!

Thread pitch... 6 threads, so 24, probably.

The unthreaded portion of the shank is acting as an axle so while a fully threaded screw would "work", the threads will be damaged over time in that area so that's not the right way to go.

I haven't found anything like this on McMaster or Grainger, although it's hard to look.

e. the angle as in the first diagram seems about right, hard to measure but 80 or 82 degrees ish is very close or spot on.

e2. looks like "oval head" is the more common description, which is getting me close except for the part about it only being half threaded up the shank.

Leperflesh posted:

This kindly goon has volunteered, we're making arrangements via PMs! Thanks, Lathespin.gif! Your username instills confidence.

Hey so this mystery screw showed up yesterday, here's what I've got so far

It's steel, pretty soft (less than 40hrc), threads cut with a die. Fair amount of galling and wear on the shoulder. 60* threadform, main diameter at basically .249", pitch is... 24tpi, which I have on tap, sweet. Nice sized root, flanks are a lil rough but over .024" wires I get about .257"-.259". Looks like a vintage 1/4"-24 UNS to me!

The countersink angle looks pretty steep, by eye a fairly close match to a center drill so ~60*, maybe 70*? Drill a scrap slug to .257", mill off half a diameter and set compound to bore at 30* for a quickie gauge.

I guess 60* it is.

That's it for tonight.

To do:

-pick a threading tool and hone the tip radius to match the root, as the cutters I've found so far are either too sharp or too blunt
-pull material, there's some 3/8" bar drops in 1045, O1 and maybe 4140 around here somewhere. Leaning 1045, I think?
-find a ~.050" slitting saw & arbor for the screw slot, 1/4" 5C collet and block, etc.
-do it

e: found one more pic. So hey for anyone playing along at home, you can gauge thread pitch directly with whatever known fasteners or taps you have handy, just ignore the diameters and mesh them with a backlight and take a peek. Here's a 1/2"-20 tap with a 1/4"-20 screw, for example:

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 1, 2023

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I think if you have a choice of materials I'd prefer harder over softer, but 1045 is hardenable carbon steel and will probably match better than stainless, O2 is overkill. The screw slot doesn't have to be precisely .050 if you can't easily lay hands on a saw of that width, a little wider or narrower is OK.

It's cool that it really is 24 TPI, I wasn't too confident that I'd measured right but I got it and that's nice :)

Yeah I have some stainless bar too, but I figured it wouldn't match character with a vintage tool as well as carbon or alloy? Some options I dug thru:

For stainless we have 304 (but too shiny), 15-5 and 17-4 (both probably a nice fit, but again too shiny). For steels I'm pretty sure this 4140 is annealed, if it was prehard it'd probably be the one. O1 would be good, even if overkill. Decided to roll with the 1045, the grade 8 bolts would be a solid choice too but more work to prep. I thought I maybe had one lil' piece of 1144 lurking in a drawer, but no luck today.

Threading tool is prepped, tip radius stoned just smaller than the sample. I should really make up a phone mount for my scope, this handheld focal length thing sucks

Running the spindle in reverse and cutting on the backside, so I have easy compound clearance to the chuck for the taper. Using a cheapo ccgt for aluminum, they leave a nice finish in harder stuff if you're gentle with them.

Didn't feel like trying for a disappearing thread today and angering Crom with my hubris, so a .050" thread relief groove to minor diameter it is. Stone a radius on the tool corners to help keep the stress riser ghosts away.

Blue it up, sanity check for alignment

Looks good, dial for 24tpi and take a scratch pass, confirm pitch

Solid, take 1-3 thou passes with the compound until it starts to look like a thread, once it gauges about .256" the threadform is done. Surf a tiny triangle file through it under power, break them sharp crests, wire brush etc.

Part off, switch to 1/4" collet and face to length, chamfer the corner heavy and start filing in the dome

Almost done now, just needs a slot. Mill time.

A reground .051"? That'll do.

Touch off top of screw, down 1/2 of .048" blade + 1/2 of the ~.372" screw head diameter to set Z, touch off the cut and feed in ~.070". Was gonna do .050" but it looked like it wanted a bit more, idk?

A quick deburr under the scope and a final spin with some 800 grit for the head, and that's all folks!

So it's still in the white and just wetted down with some WD40 for now so it won't flash rust, but it does have those 45 points of carbon- I could give it a torch ride and an oil dip, see about hardening it up a bit and tempering it back? Or just mail it out as-is and you can do whatever finishing you're into or just run it, it's all good.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

The first part gives you all the zeroes you need for diameters and shoulders and such, best to flip it and make a spare before you break setup, especially when you need to swivel the compound around. Goobering up a thread pass and scrapping a part sucks, but needing to first switch setup to go back and cut another blank is basically the worst. Plus in this case it's an odd-duck size and maybe has two handles, I figured an extra is good!

Length looks pretty solid from here, could have made the threads maybe half a turn shorter but need to bottom out on the head before running out of threads, and I wasn't sure if they'd seat any differently in the taper. Looks like ~2/3 of the shoulder will engage so yeah should be good! Overall I think I made them a couple whiskers longer, I figured you can always file or grind them shorter to match when fitting if needed.

Mcmaster and MSC do still have 1/4"-24 taps and dies available, in case you need those or someone else wants to go into business here!

What a sweet tool, wow. A lot of nicked fingers and shavings in there. I love those handles, talk about character! Are you restoring this to put it to work?

Also you shoulda mentioned spring wire earlier, I'd have tossed in a couple lengths! :lol:

Brass is an odd alloy choice for a spring, I'd def. recommend phosphor bronze instead if you don't want to use steel or stainless wire.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

I foster cats in collaboration with our local cat rescue org, Community Concern for Cats, so I decided to throw cash at RAINN.
$50 plus transaction fees to RAINN and I'd encourage everyone who found lathespin.gif's work to be valuable to make a donation to a critter shelter or RAINN if you can.

holy poo poo yr redacted info :lmao:

man I really needed that today, thanks! I'll pass it on, hell yeah

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
gently caress YES IT FINALLY HAPPENED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Alan steel in Redwood City is great and everyone should check them out, and there’s another big supplier in SJ that’s not metal supermarkets but I always forget the name.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

ryanrs posted:

Go to Alan Steel, open M-Th. They have a good selection of offcuts for $2/lb. Useful stuff like 2-3 ft lengths of square tube, etc.

Pet the cat

:hai:

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
You got a sketch? I think I have a couple ~1.25" slugs in 1144 or some other non-mild steel, would need to poke thru the bins

For copper tube even aluminum would likely be 100% fine until you dropped it or bonked it with a tool or something

Lathespin.gif fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Collets for sure over a chuck, so deformation won't be a problem with thin tube walls. Form tools in stainless will want all the support you can get, 304 tubing tends to be nasty. Got a 5C?