Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Why was brass used so much historically (and maybe presently?) for complex mechanical watches/clocks/scientific instruments? Is it just because it is relatively easily worked but hard enough not to warp? It seems like mild steel wood generally be cheaper and isn’t that much more difficult to work? Is it particularly dimensionally stable? I have no idea if some metals expand/contract more with temperature changes than others. Is the big advantage of brass corrosion resistance or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

wesleywillis posted:

Not to badmouth your work it looks pretty sweet, but like I know capitalism and monarchy are bad and all that but isn't Lenin also pretty bad too?
Just gonna remind everyone of HCH Rule 14

quote:

Please keep politics out of Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses. Many of us use our hobbies and houses as an escape. There's plenty of room for political stuff in D&D and CSPAM-let's save this forum for shitposting about our collapsing nightmare houses.

This isn't really the space for debating or discussing how relatively bad or good Lenin/George III/Jeff Bezos are. For all we know Ambrose Burnside might be making a tiny bust of Lenin to piss on daily or use as a buttplug or somethin!!!!!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

wesleywillis posted:

When welding metal thats 1/2" thick or bigger, I know that you should be bevelling the edges to get better penetration, should you also be using bigger rods too? Like can you buy welding rods that are 1/4" thick or bigger for doing that kind of stuff?

I'm not trying to weld anything that thick but I was thinking it seems like a waste to use 1/8" rods to weld really thick material. Although maybe 1/8" rods aren't too small for 1/2" but maybe for stuff thats 3/4" + in size.
Yeah they make really big ones. A guy I used to work in the shipyard with worked on the Iowa-class battleships when they were bringing them back into service in the 80's and talked about spending like a week on one weld because it was in some 10" thick armor plate or something crazy and using like 1/2" electrodes because the bevel was a foot wide at the top.